Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Apostrophe irritation's

Apostrophe irritation's

Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:39 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apostrophe irritation's

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
we shood get it on
Is ur pee shooter long enuff to reach?
Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:40 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Is ur pee shooter long enuff to reach?
I can wear stilts.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:59 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

It bugs me how often I see "Manhattan" spelled wrong on here
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:15 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah and a good fisting can make you stutter.
... and you'd know about that because????
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
It bugs me how often I see "Manhattan" spelled wrong on here
How about Cincinatti? I know I had issues remembering how to spell it until I moved there!

How about adding chose/choose to the list.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:06 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
so there are sometimes you can get away with it - just not all the time ).
Neil, sorry, but that should be "some times".

~SecretGarden
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:47 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangemirror
The one i'm never sure of is if the name ends in s.
i think you just have an apostrophe after the s and leave it (eg James' hat) But i'm never sure so usually think sod it and stick another s on (eg James's hat).
To clear this whole mess up we should just ban people from having names that end in s.
I was taught to add "'s" after names ending with "s" --> James's hat and Charles's homework. The fact that the name ends in "s" doesn't change the fact that you're adding "'s" to create the possessive form of a single object (in this case, a person). After all, James and Charles aren't the plural forms of Jame and Charle. If you only write James' or Charles', then you are simply tacking an apostrophe onto their names but not actually making them possessive.

Now, if there were TWO people named Charles and they did a group project together for their homework, then "Charles' homework" would make sense. But if you're only talking about one person named Charles, then it would be "Charles's homework."

Anyway, on a more general note, you all might get a kick out of the following website: The "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotes

Seriously, I could spend hours looking at all the photos they have on there -- such ghastly grammar!!!!

Here's a photo Mark actually sent to them and they posted, taken in Yorkshire during our trip to England last May:
http://www.unnecessaryquotes.com/200...f-special.html

~ Jenney
Old Mar 18th 2009, 3:03 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I was taught to add "'s" after names ending with "s" --> James's hat and Charles's homework. The fact that the name ends in "s" doesn't change the fact that you're adding "'s" to create the possessive form of a single object (in this case, a person). After all, James and Charles aren't the plural forms of Jame and Charle. If you only write James' or Charles', then you are simply tacking an apostrophe onto their names but not actually making them possessive....
It's an area of disagreement in the language, and there's no right or wrong. Some style guides say add apostrophe-s to a name ending in s, and others don't.
Possessive for singular names ending in 's'
AP (which is applicable for newsletters and news releases) endorses adding only an apostrophe (thus, the possessive of Gus is Gus' and for Williams it is Williams'—regardless of the first letter of the word that follows.
Example: "That is Gus' shovel and this is Dave Williams' wheelbarrow."

In contrast, the Chicago stylebook recommends addition of an apostrophe and an "s".
Example: "That is Gus's shovel and this is Dave Williams's wheelbarrow."

The Chicago manual does makes exceptions specifically for Jesus, Moses and multisyllabic names that have unaccented "eez"-sounding endings. Examples:
"in Jesus' name"
"Moses' leadership"
"Euripedes' plays".

The Chicago manual leaves room for additional interpretation, adding that the second "s" may be dropped if dictated by "tradition and euphony"—in other words, when the following word begins with a sibilant sound, as in "for righteousness' sake".

Plural for names ending in 's'
The AP and Chicago stylebooks are in agreement here; to form plurals of common nouns as well as proper names ending in "ch," "s," "sh," "ss," "x" and "z," add "es". Examples:
"the Martinezes" and "the Williamses".

Plural possessive for names ending in 's'
The AP and Chicago manuals agree that the plural possessive of proper nouns ending in "s" is formed by adding only an apostrophe to the plural form. The Chicago manual shows these examples:
"The Rosses' and the Williamses' lands" and "the Joneses' reputation".
From EditPros Guide to names ending in "s"

...or
Many respected sources have required that practically all singular nouns, including those ending with a sibilant sound, have possessive forms with an extra s after the apostrophe. Examples include the Modern Language Association and The Economist.[10] Such sources would demand possessive singulars like these: Senator Jones's umbrella; Mephistopheles's cat. On the other hand, some modern writers omit the extra s in all cases, and Chicago Manual of Style allows this as an "alternative practice".[11] Generally, Chicago Manual of Style is in line with the majority of current guides, and recommends the traditional practice but provides for several exceptions to accommodate spoken usage, including the omission of the extra s after a polysyllabic word ending in a sibilant.[12]
From Wikipedia's guide to the apostrophe
Old Mar 18th 2009, 3:43 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
It matters because some people genuinely don't know the difference, and other people's errors perpetuates the problem - some complex situations can be forgiven but get the basics right. I don't know how you can make a typing error between there/their/they're or your/you're - if you make that mistake it's a language error (and you can be forgiven a language error when pissed or half asleep so there are sometimes you can get away with it - just not all the time ).
Very weird. I think that with plural, "people's errors", it should be "perpetuate" and with the singular, "person's error", it should be "perpetuates".
Old Mar 18th 2009, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbj1000
It's an area of disagreement in the language, and there's no right or wrong.
Hi:

We have an unabridged Merriam-Webster at home and quite often in family disputes on language, we find out that both usages are "correct."

On of my Israeli cousins speaks and writes excellent American English -- but she is stubborn about refusing to use a spell checker -- we often have to read her stuff out loud! Many of the other cousins let Hebrew syntax sneak into their English.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 11:36 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Are you really asking that question? I guess what I'm asking is, do you really want the answer?
Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:22 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah and a good fisting can make you stutter.
Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Are you really asking that question? I guess what I'm asking is, do you really want the answer?

Yes, I'm asking and yes, I would like to know the answer? Don't you? Just a straightforward "yes" or "no" will do.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 12:27 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Very weird. I think that with plural, "people's errors", it should be "perpetuate" and with the singular, "person's error", it should be "perpetuates".
You're right, and I obviously didn't proofread my post. However, I was talking about the errant apostrophe issue rather than all grammar and spelling. I still maintain it's not hard to get that right even if you're not paying much attention to what you're doing.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 1:00 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I'm asking and yes, I would like to know the answer? Don't you? Just a straightforward "yes" or "no" will do.
I have this horrible feeling I already know.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 1:04 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

rogue punctuation, it's out there, be afraid, be very afraid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.