Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Apostrophe irritation's

Apostrophe irritation's

Old Mar 18th 2009, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Apostrophe irritation's

My problem is that when i write something about words that get misspelt and annoy me, then it is 100% guaranteed that I will make some embarrassing grammatical mistake and look like a massive tool.
Anyway i hate accept/except.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangemirror
My problem is that when i write something about words that get misspelt and annoy me, then it is 100% guaranteed that I will make some embarrassing grammatical mistake and look like a massive tool.
Anyway i hate accept/except.
effect/affect is another one..........but, it really doesn't bother me (honest)
Old Mar 18th 2009, 7:16 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a freelance proofreader in my spare time and even I get unsure sometimes. I feel like a right ninny when I make mistakes on BE because in my other life I get paid to correct them!
Old Mar 18th 2009, 7:17 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
It matters because some people genuinely don't know the difference, and other people's errors perpetuates the problem - some complex situations can be forgiven but get the basics right. I don't know how you can make a typing error between there/their/they're or your/you're - if you make that mistake it's a language error (and you can be forgiven a language error when pissed or half asleep so there are sometimes you can get away with it - just not all the time ).
Not always true. I know the difference between there/their/they're or too/two/to and I still occasionally reread a post I've made on here and it's wrong. It's mortifying and the only explanation I have is that I just wasn't paying attention to what I was doing.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 7:19 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Not always true. I know the difference between there/their/they're or too/two/to and I still occasionally reread a post I've made on here and it's wrong. It's mortifying and the only explanation I have is that I just wasn't paying attention to what I was doing.
We weren't paying attention to you either...
Old Mar 18th 2009, 7:40 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Alzheimer's could be one of those excuses for getting it wrong sometimes.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 7:41 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Alzheimer's could be one of those excuses for g-g-g-getting it wrong sometimes.
Yeah and a good fisting can make you stutter.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 7:45 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Add to the list "lose" and "loose".

Recovering from a migraine counts too.

The thing is, many people didn't do so well in English at school. Yet they have many interesting and valid points to add to a conversation. If the grammar police insist on shaming their grammar, you may chase them off. Be nice.
Not all English majors are interesting or fun to chat with.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
I'm going to stick my neck out and say that was deliberate....
Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I'm presuming the incorrect apostrophe in the thread title was deliberate.
One of you is correct (Hint: I went back and changed it before I hit submit).
Hmm.....nice get out clause you provided him there....
Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:02 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Hmm.....nice get out clause you provided him there....
I would say that nobody could accidentally put an apostrophe in that phrase, but there seem to be plenty of cases around to prove me wrong.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:07 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Recovering from a migraine counts too.

The thing is, many people didn't do so well in English at school. Yet they have many interesting and valid points to add to a conversation. If the grammar police insist on shaming their grammar, you may chase them off. Be nice.
Not all English majors are interesting or fun to chat with.
It's a weird situation because you are having a conversation with people in writing. So, conversational English really should be acceptable. I know that my sentence structure on here is sometimes quite terrible but I'm saying what I'm saying the way I would really say it as opposed to how I would write it.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:08 am
Not here much

I just picked a thread on this site at random - how fitting: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=588241
Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:11 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah and a good fisting can make you stutter.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Definitely/Definately.
Lose/loose.
And impact as a verb.
It might be wrong but I make assumptions about people by the way they spell.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:29 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Definitely/Definately.
Lose/loose.
And impact as a verb.
It might be wrong but I make assumptions about people by the way they spell.
I do too. I assume they don't respect books, writers or this beautiful language. Sometimes I wonder if maybe they don't even respect other people.

On a different level (or a different situation) I may assume they are uneducated or incapable of learning.

Strange.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:31 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

we shood get it on

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.