Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Anyone got a toaster oven they love?

Anyone got a toaster oven they love?

Old Aug 31st 2014, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone got a toaster oven they love?

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
All this talking about Breville has got me wondering about "Toasty" makers. Just tried to ask husband about toasties and got a totally blank look. I could kill for a ham and cheese toasty. A proper one with huge pockets of melted cheese Not a melted cheese sandwich
I bought one just a few weeks ago, can't remember where from though, probably Target. Cheap. Alberstons (supermarket here) does an English-style toaster bread which actually goes stale after a few days, that's how authentic it is and that comes out quite well. Just need some decent cheese now... yeah the "artisan" stuff rather than the shredded tasteless crap in the luminous orange section of the supermarket.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
I bought one just a few weeks ago, can't remember where from though, probably Target. Cheap.
Careful Geoff....Target's a hot topic in another thread at the moment - with a very negative connotation (that is, in the view of some - who should best remain nameless).
Old Aug 31st 2014, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
Careful Geoff....Target's a hot topic in another thread at the moment - with a very negative connotation (that is, in the view of some - who should best remain nameless).
No worries, I did notice the discussion!
Old Aug 31st 2014, 4:01 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Went with the Breville...
Ah, paid extra for the dual fuel one I see...nice to have the stove top option for when the power is out...
Old Aug 31st 2014, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Ah, paid extra for the dual fuel one I see...nice to have the stove top option for when the power is out...
That reminds me, I need to buy lighters. Damn 2-month old cooker is on the blink because the electronic controls are - I learned recently - susceptible to heat. WTF? It's a cooker! It gets hot! Anyway, it keeps trying to self-clean itself which IMO is rather a fire risk, particularly if we're out, so I've unplugged it - which means lighting the burners manually, and no oven. Repair bloke coming next week and has already ordered the part apparently, without even looking at it, such is the commonality of the fault. Sigh. Frigidaire BTW.

Whose stupid idea was it to force users to reach across five burners to reach the oven controls anyway?
Old Aug 31st 2014, 5:42 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

After reading this thread I pulled mine from the cupboard above the fridge. It is Black & Decker toast-r-oven. I re-heated some pizza, and it was lovely.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 11:10 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Checked out mine, Home Essentials...settings of low, medium, high and don't go there.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
Odd spot to set it down.

Or do you think you'll need a little heat booster?
After you made this point we decided to move it.
Thanks for the tip!
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 6:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That reminds me, I need to buy lighters. Damn 2-month old cooker is on the blink because the electronic controls are - I learned recently - susceptible to heat. WTF? It's a cooker! It gets hot! Anyway, it keeps trying to self-clean itself which IMO is rather a fire risk, particularly if we're out, so I've unplugged it - which means lighting the burners manually, and no oven. Repair bloke coming next week and has already ordered the part apparently, without even looking at it, such is the commonality of the fault. Sigh. Frigidaire BTW.

Whose stupid idea was it to force users to reach across five burners to reach the oven controls anyway?
You need an induction cooker. They have all the benefits of gas combined with all the benefits of electricity, plus several additional benefits. ALL the heat on the cooker top is actually generated IN the pans, with just a little conducted back into the glass cooking surface. If you spill something, or a pan spits or boils over, you immediately take a damp cloth, pick up the pan and wipe the surface while the cooker is still turned on! It is especially noticeable in the summer that the cooker and pans are not making the kitchen hot.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 2nd 2014 at 6:10 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You need an induction cooker. They have all the benefits of gas combined with all the benefits of electricity, plus several additional benefits. ALL the heat on the cooker top is actually generated IN the pans, with just a little conducted back into the glass cooking surface. If you spill something, or a pan spits or boils over, you immediately take a damp cloth, pick up the pan and wipe the surface while the cooker is still turned on! It is especially noticeable in the summer that the cooker and pans are not making the kitchen hot.
Just not the ones they advertise on TV which have absolutely terrible reviews.
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 6:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Just not the ones they advertise on TV which have absolutely terrible reviews.
I have never seen one advertised on TV. Which one(s) would they be?

ETA. Oh, you're talking about an "as seen on TV"* induction pad? ..... No, I mean an actual full-size cooker. Most "white goods" manufacturers now offer full size induction cookers. We have had a GE profile one for the past couple of years, and it has been an excellent purchase.

* I thought "as seen on TV" was universally recognised as a euphemism for "utter $4!të".

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 2nd 2014 at 6:53 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

WeeBettysCafe is an unknown quantity at this point

I own a Fagor digital toaster oven and I love it. They also have great customer service mine broke about 2 weeks after 1 year warranty expired and they sent me a brand new one for free.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

No idea what brand my toaster oven, but if I'm cooking for myself, I use it rather than the industrial sized thing we have in our kitchen, that now I come to think of it probably gets used twice a year at Xmas and thanksgiving.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

That Cuisineart one I bought has been smashing. We're using it so much. Probably paid for itself by not using the main ovens.

Also bought this to sharpen knives. Easy peasy. Great results.

Amazon.com: Chef's Choice 130 Professional Knife-Sharpening Station, Platinum: Kitchen & Dining Amazon.com: Chef's Choice 130 Professional Knife-Sharpening Station, Platinum: Kitchen & Dining