Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Anyone else sick of GM Food & lack of labelling

Anyone else sick of GM Food & lack of labelling

Old Mar 12th 2013, 2:05 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else sick of GM Food & lack of labelling

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Basil.
I do like a nicely seasoned rat.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 2:45 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Basil.
Brush?
Old Mar 12th 2013, 2:46 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
Brush?
Any quadruped is fair game.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 5:17 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Organic, or not, and genetically modified, or not, are two different things. It's quite possible to grow genetically modified crops organically. In fact, as another poster has pointed out, one of the objectives of genetically modifying crops is so that they can be more easily and safely - yes, and more economically - grown organically.
Originally Posted by mandianna
I agree with you it is all about choice. We just want to be informed thats all then we can all choose whether you eat it or not right now there is no choice unless you buy organic. I don't know why it is so hard to label well I do because im sure it will affect the sales of GM foods and they don't want that.

If everyone could get the particular information that they are interested in on the label, the label would be book.
Originally Posted by mandianna
Yes I agree the labelling has got slighty better but only in some stores where I am anyway.
Regards, JEff
Old Mar 12th 2013, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
If everyone could get the particular information that they are interested in on the label, the label would be book.
Much like labels for medications, where there's so much information you can't actually find the dosage info, and if you do find it it's so small you can't read it...
Old Mar 12th 2013, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
This.
Plus the ingredient dec, like the rest of the food packaging is designed to make you buy the food. A "no GM" tag can't possibly mean NO GM. It will mean a reasonable chance of when tested will contain less than ?% GM derivatives". You will still have no idea how much GM material went into the making of the food. Think of a lovely big steak (mmmmm). Label it "no GM" because it has not been genetically modified. It has still been raised eating GM produce. It depends how far you want to take the fear of GM.
"Tomatoes" on an ingredients dec doesn't need to mean actual tomatoes. You can sub tomato concentrate and water volume and still call it "tomatoes". It just sounds nicer and pushes other things further down the declaration list.
The Non GMO label now does check the food chain. Meat, eggs, milk etc are only labelled non GMO when the feed that fed the animals is proven GMO free. As far as I know as part of the certification the products and any sub products undergo genetic testing to verify the origin.