Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

another annoyed bank customer thread - suggestions for something better

another annoyed bank customer thread - suggestions for something better

Old Sep 11th 2006, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute
Default another annoyed bank customer thread - suggestions for something better

OK so after kissing Band of America goodbye and good riddance I signed up with my wife's teacher's credit union. They have been good so far, I actually get a little bit of interest now!
Sadly though they have decided to overhaul their basic but functional website.
I do all my banking online, I dont believe in cheques and like to spend as little time in a bank or on hold on the phone. I also stick all my finances into MS money to see where the hell all the money goes!
The new online banking site is terrible. It may improve with time but they have implemented the most convoluted login and security system possible.
It has clearly been rushed through and not tested or thought out properly.
It's buggy as hell and keeps losing my login information, I then have to spend 30 minutes on hold for them to reset it again.
I just wondered if anyone has a better suggestion. I want a bank with low fees, an atm I can deposit my weekly pay cheque (yes its sad but we get paid by cheque every week and direct deposit is not possible). I want a decent website where I can manage my joint account, savings account and personal account from one place, good security but not overwhelming...

I think this is some kind of utopia that hasnt reached these shores. Back in the UK I have a Smile account and Egg. Both are light years ahead of anything here I think in terms of simplicity, clarity, service etc.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: another annoyed bank customer thread - suggestions for something better

Agree with you about Egg--great site.

Have you tried Chase? Online site is very straightforward and easy to log on, set-up, view all account and credit cards. When we opened our account they let us choose our ATM PINs at their office and the online banking was effective immediately. And, they have 800 numbers answered by actual US based employees. I never go into the bank. (And they have ATMs everywhere and at every speedway petrol station).

I find it easier to use than RBS or NatWest, both of which were 'okay' but often still required us to visit in person to do some functions...and they had those awful 0845 numbers that cost a fortune and got passed to India on a very poor connection....
Old Sep 12th 2006, 12:14 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: another annoyed bank customer thread - suggestions for something better

We use Citizens Bank and our local branch is really good. We went to them because we have an account with Royal Bank of Scotland and they are part of the same group. I use their online banking and I think their site is excellent. Our branch here is certainly much better than our RBS branch.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 12:19 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by angelman

I just wondered if anyone has a better suggestion. I want a bank with low fees, an atm I can deposit my weekly pay cheque (yes its sad but we get paid by cheque every week and direct deposit is not possible). I want a decent website where I can manage my joint account, savings account and personal account from one place, good security but not overwhelming...

Lloyds-TSB, HSBC, Barclays?
Old Sep 12th 2006, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Lloyds-TSB, HSBC, Barclays?
Easy for you to say
Old Sep 12th 2006, 3:52 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelman
OK so after kissing Band of America goodbye and good riddance I signed up with my wife's teacher's credit union. They have been good so far, I actually get a little bit of interest now!
Sadly though they have decided to overhaul their basic but functional website.
I do all my banking online, I dont believe in cheques and like to spend as little time in a bank or on hold on the phone. I also stick all my finances into MS money to see where the hell all the money goes!
The new online banking site is terrible. It may improve with time but they have implemented the most convoluted login and security system possible.
It has clearly been rushed through and not tested or thought out properly.
It's buggy as hell and keeps losing my login information, I then have to spend 30 minutes on hold for them to reset it again.

I think this is some kind of utopia that hasnt reached these shores. Back in the UK I have a Smile account and Egg. Both are light years ahead of anything here I think in terms of simplicity, clarity, service etc.
Look for a bigger CU, they will usually find a reason to make you elligable.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

What was the problem with BOA - i hear these stories and think myself lucky that I have never had any problems and nothing but good service - once i realized that the US banking system is somewhat behind the UK!
Old Sep 12th 2006, 3:59 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Pay cash.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 4:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Look for a bigger CU, they will usually find a reason to make you elligable.
Chase's website is OK....we don't pay any bank fees. Don't know if they are in your area. Did have a problem with them earlier in the year transferring money to the UK.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 2:39 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

ING are considering starting a checking account service. Might be worth looking at if they ever do it...
Old Sep 12th 2006, 4:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

TD Banknorth aren't to bad, well the free checking account is alright, mare if you go over though.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Pay cash.
Oh, brilliant.

..........Luddite !!
Old Sep 12th 2006, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

angelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond reputeangelman has a reputation beyond repute

if ING did checking that would be great.
as for BOA.. well to be quite fair I didnt have too much problems with them, it was more an intial shock of seeing just how crap the US banking system was.
A number of my friends got royally screwed by them. For example, people using their account fraudulently and not getting the money back, various mystery fees and penalties, cash deposited at an ATM was effectively stolen by one of their employees but they refused to take responsibility and charged my friend fees for going overdrawn because of it.. all in all they are just there to screw you.
Not to mention stupid thinkgs like, you have to pay for a bank account unless you open a savings account and have a monthly transfer, even if its something tiny like $1/month..
Originally Posted by gardnma
Oh, brilliant.

..........Luddite !!
Old Sep 12th 2006, 6:05 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

The thing that surprises me though, is that half the banks are European owned.

my own bank here in Detroit is owned by ABN AMRO and across the street is Charter One which is owned by Royal Bank of Scotland Group.......

yet the technology of standing orders and direct debits and hassle free transfers seems light years from Europe.........