Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Annual Physical - what does it include?

Annual Physical - what does it include?

Old Jan 15th 2019, 5:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Annual Physical - what does it include?

Originally Posted by Steerpike
.... Is a Urine test not much use / not typical?
​​​​​​​I don't think it is typical, and given that urine is, literally squeezed out of your blood, a urine test isn't going to tell you much that a blood test won't. For example if you're diabetic you can test for sugar in urine, but you can test blood for sugar levels.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Just went through all the blood test results; no reference to PSA. So I sent a second message to the physician asking how come. I'm going to pursue this one!

Is a Urine test not much use / not typical?

I am impressed you can send a message to the doctor.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 15th 2019 at 5:35 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 5:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I am impressed you can send a message to the doctor.
We have what is called a 'patient portal' Our test results are sent to us through the portal and we can receive and send messages to our doctors who answer within two hours. Had this privilege when I lived in lower New York State and while living here in Mississippi.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
We have what is called a 'patient portal' Our test results are sent to us through the portal and we can receive and send messages to our doctors who answer within two hours. Had this privilege when I lived in lower New York State and while living here in Mississippi.
I have online access to most lab work though, but of course to decipher what the results mean requires making an appointment and going to the doctor.

Never had a doctor that could be contacted by electronic means.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 9:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Never had a doctor that could be contacted by electronic means.
My doctor offers that, but you have to pay extra per year to get it. I declined.

Rene
Old Jan 16th 2019, 7:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My doctor offers that, but you have to pay extra per year to get it. I declined.

Rene
I am not sure if doctors could bill the single payer system for such a service which might be why it doesn't seem widely offered here if at all. Doctors in my experience also don't do phone calls, if you need to see the doctor, have to go to see them in the office.

Not saying all doctors don't do phone calls, just none of the doctors I have had in the last 10 years have, heck even getting refills on long term prescriptions can be tricky, some doctors will do 3 months supply, others will have you come in monthly based on the doctors I have seen.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

Interesting aside, Doctors where I am 100 plus years ago also advertised their tooth pulling capability, apparently teeth infections was a killer.
They still are, although far fewer people die from tooth infections now than any time in history.

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Two fillings last week. Old metal ones out, new white ones in. I declined the numbing injections. Doesn't really bother me.

Says he normally charges more for masochists.
​​​​​I was gobsmacked when the missus went in for two fillings a few months back, as someone else who doesn't do anaesthetics for fillings I've been used to waltzing in to the surgery of my Hungarian butcher who poses as a dentist in the UK and waltzing out twenty minutes later with new fillings and a cleaned mouth that bled for a month...
Not so in the US! Stupidly took the good lady to her appointment and decided to wait, f*#k me if I wasn't sat there for over an hour and a half.
The surgery was fairly quiet so after that hour and a half I was thoroughly bored and settled for charming the pants off the receptionist with witty repartee delivered in a dreamy English accent, lol, during which time I learned that it was quite normal for fillings to take that long. I suppose they have to justify those skyhigh rates somehow!!

Back on topic: My annual medical included most of the OP's original list and the quack was keen to know if there were any issues she should know about. I was warned that my next medical would be after my fiftieth and I could choose either to do the mail-off 'shit in a box', as advertised on the telly, or the finger probe, who knew getting older was so much fun!!

One proceedure that I regretted not having general anaesthetic for was an endoscopy ( evening surgeries offered by the NHS to clear backlogs!), not something I'd be inclined to recommend!!!
Old Jan 29th 2019, 4:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting seeing the differences here.

Mine is mostly along the long list, without the piss/shit tests and ECG.

My doctor is on a two year rotation though, so years in between, you see his nurse practitioner, unless you have particular concerns.

As for contacting the doctor, only means is via electronic portal. It seems the doctors, hospitals and other facilities in the region are all on the same system, so you can get results instantly and can contact who ever directly which seems to work better than phoning in.