Americaners

Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Americaners

Originally Posted by cindyabs
You know I'm about sick of all this US VS UK crap-it's always the same script just the cast of characters changes.

Either be more inventive folks or cut it.

Even as a windup it's not funny any more.
Exactly. Doesn't it just get pig-sick boring after a while?
Old Jul 10th 2008, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Irn-bru;6553955]I think the US is very much so, plenty of mosques etc weird cults etc, and the US isn't known for the melting pot for nothing.

Well I would love to find these places, because my experience of the US has really not been a good one as far as tolerance of faith goes.
I wear a Celtic triquetra knot pendant, I wear it all the time, never take it off, as it was the first thing my hub ever bought me. He gave it to me on the first day we met in person, and have treasured it ever since. It means a lot to me physically as well as spiritually. It has a special meaning to me and my hub.
Today, someone told me it is Satanic. A woman I work with, completely ignorant to anything Celtic, told me it was Satanic and a form of idol worship. She said that in front of everyone I work with, and they were cool with it. She then goes on to ask me what faith I am, and I told here I'm Buddhist, then what faith is my hub, so I told her he is Wiccan, well that did it, she went off on one about how they are nature worshippers and blah blah blah...
This is not a one off, it is LIFE here!!!
HOW is anyone supposed to tolerate ignorance and automatic hostility from others?
Old Jul 10th 2008, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by geeandtee
It ain't a bad place.
I haven't had the chance to visit the rest of it, sadly NC put me off.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 4:26 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
Well I would love to find these places, because my experience of the US has really not been a good one as far as tolerance of faith goes.
I wear a Celtic triquetra knot pendant, I wear it all the time, never take it off, as it was the first thing my hub ever bought me. He gave it to me on the first day we met in person, and have treasured it ever since. It means a lot to me physically as well as spiritually. It has a special meaning to me and my hub.
Today, someone told me it is Satanic. A woman I work with, completely ignorant to anything Celtic, told me it was Satanic and a form of idol worship. She said that in front of everyone I work with, and they were cool with it. She then goes on to ask me what faith I am, and I told here I'm Buddhist, then what faith is my hub, so I told her he is Wiccan, well that did it, she went off on one about how they are nature worshippers and blah blah blah...
HOW is anyone supposed to tolerate ignorance and automatic hostility from others?
Well that women is not very nice to say the least!

I get what you have just said about hostility in the UK all the time and on BE (though nicely not directly at me but in general all the time) I am a Christian and the stuff what is said about that, here on BE and actually my neighbours etc towards me as I live in a liberal place.

But I guess I should be glad that freedom of ideas is alive and well and people can disagree with each other as the alternative isn't nice and I don't mind if it is respectful, which I think was more my original point you may get some ignorant people but you are free to practice what you want.

Maybe some people who get intolerance towards them and don't like it won't do it to others, as that is to me the same. I always try and treat people with respect and tolerance.

There are plenty of people that may go to church etc and I am not judging them but by their actions they are not very 'Christ-like' which to me is what Christianity is all about. I have to live with the general tar brush - some Christian somewhere isn't nice so all Christians are like that etc or people quoting stuff to me that is out of context etc but I just try and smile and let it go.

I didn't mean to go on about my faith (I don't do it much especially here) but just to sympathise I know how you feel when ignorant or angry people who don't know what they are talking about misquote or distort stuff or just want to be mean..its not nice and I am sorry its happening to you

Last edited by Irn-bru; Jul 10th 2008 at 4:30 am.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:55 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Emma M;6554885]
Originally Posted by Irn-bru
I think the US is very much so, plenty of mosques etc weird cults etc, and the US isn't known for the melting pot for nothing.

Ignore and keep YOUR truths within yourself.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 1:04 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cindyabs;6555735]
Originally Posted by Emma M

Ignore and keep YOUR truths within yourself.
That's a mature way at looking at things... Give 'em a break... ...

----
Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:11 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=britex01;6556362]
Originally Posted by cindyabs

That's a mature way at looking at things... Give 'em a break... ...

----
I trust you understood I meant? Never mind what anyone else says, hold fast to your own beliefs.