British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   American Words you DO Like! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/american-words-you-do-like-734828/)

CAdreaming Oct 7th 2011 8:47 pm

Re: American Words you DO Like!

Aclimated - as in are you getting Aclimated to the USA?
Situated - DH -"I will phone you when you are situated at home in UK" He means settled in!

Too cute :rofl:

Bob Oct 7th 2011 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 9663538)
:thumbdown: :thumbdown::thumbdown: If it wasn't at the top of the list of words that I detest, I would say last night's game was an absolute bummer. What the heck do I watch for the rest of October? The only solace is that Fenway has been quiet since September . . .

:lol:

Yes, the Sox were shit this year and the Pats aren't looking too great either, but it was nice to see the Skank fail, again...to what historically is a top of the shit pile team :D

But while we're talking NY....why are the Giants and the Jets still called NY teams rather than NJ teams?

Nutmegger Oct 7th 2011 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9663585)
:lol:

But while we're talking NY....why are the Giants and the Jets still called NY teams rather than NJ teams?

Probably because you can only afford tickets if you are a Manhattan mogul! Their PSL schemes are ridiculous. My NY team worries are over for the year -- I adopted the Steelers as my winter team way back when in Steel Curtain days!

cindyabs Oct 7th 2011 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 9663597)
Probably because you can only afford tickets if you are a Manhattan mogul! Their PSL schemes are ridiculous. My NY team worries are over for the year -- I adopted the Steelers as my winter team way back when in Steel Curtain days!

I liked the Steelers back in the day when it was Mean Joe Green, Franco Harris, Terry Bradshaw. That was a few years ago, :o

Nutmegger Oct 7th 2011 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 9663608)
I liked the Steelers back in the day when it was Mean Joe Green, Franco Harris, Terry Bradshaw. That was a few years ago, :o

Those were the days! Not off to a great start this year, I'm afraid . . .

robin1234 Oct 7th 2011 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by CAdreaming (Post 9663581)
Aclimated - as in are you getting Aclimated to the USA?
Situated - DH -"I will phone you when you are situated at home in UK" He means settled in!

Too cute :rofl:

Apparently spelled "Acclimated" .. not actually an American word, the Oxford English Dictionary has examples of its usage back to the mid-nineteenth century, some British, some American.

Redwing Oct 7th 2011 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 9663608)

And the immaculate reception!

nethead Oct 7th 2011 11:14 pm

I like the phrase, "I'm really diggin' that (or not)" for appreciating/enjoying (or not :)) something. It appeals to my inner hippy.

Also like 'so long sucker'.

Bob Oct 8th 2011 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 9663597)
Probably because you can only afford tickets if you are a Manhattan mogul!

How much are regular tickets? Any ideas? I know the shit tickets at Gillette Stadium are $250 a pop...which is funny because front row tickets to watch the NE Revs play there are about $20 :lol:

Juswus Oct 8th 2011 12:53 am

I love the expression "That sucks giant balls"

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9661410)
Fanny pack.

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9661412)
That one has excellent comedic potential ...

especially when it's a khaki fanny pack.

I would imagine women at 3 day festivals have one of them by the end.

CAdreaming Oct 8th 2011 5:19 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 9663611)
Apparently spelled "Acclimated" .. not actually an American word, the Oxford English Dictionary has examples of its usage back to the mid-nineteenth century, some British, some American.

Never heard it used in UK - I like it tho

Sarah Oct 8th 2011 9:51 am

Dumpster
Dump instead of 'tip'
Dumper truck

So anything with the word 'dump' in it basically reminds me I appear to be 6 years old.

HotCoffee Oct 18th 2011 9:03 pm

Instantaneously...Instantly is more instant to say than instantaneously! :p

I find some american words dodgy, yet funny, but the accents so adorable.

In New Jersey they'd call me HOWT CWAAARRFEE :thumbsup:

HotCoffee Oct 18th 2011 9:04 pm

Oh, another that makes me laugh every time: http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=douchebag

Sally Redux Oct 18th 2011 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by HotCoffee (Post 9682473)
Oh, another that makes me laugh every time: http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=douchebag

Does it? It seems such a feeble word.