Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

American Pronunciation

American Pronunciation

Old May 4th 2012, 3:03 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Pronunciation

Originally Posted by helwardman
My least favourite at the moment is when I hear people referring to width, length and heighTH (Height with a TH sound on the end).

Drives me nuts!
I have yet to hear that one. That's almost certainly the product of poor education over geography - right?

Originally Posted by cindyabs
my all time favorite was that someone looked like "half baked afterbirth."
Oh, to be able to sit down in the pub with your dad
Old May 4th 2012, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I have yet to hear that one. That's almost certainly the product of poor education over geography - right?
Not sure about that, I've heard it from more than one well-educated person over here, but never heard it in England.
Old May 4th 2012, 3:16 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about that, I've heard it from more than one well-educated person over here, but never heard it in England.
I've never heard it anywhere so it must be some kind of regional pronounciation down your way.
Old May 4th 2012, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

One that came up with my wife (and I'm not sure why this came up in conversation!) was peh-dophile. I asked her what she called a doctor that specializes in children. Pee-diatrician she said. Given the same root word, I couldn't understand why they were pronounced differently.

She told me that we both pronounce other words the first way. I asked her for an example and she came up with 'pedometer'.

Missed the point, I think...

Last edited by JSL8610; May 4th 2012 at 3:28 pm.
Old May 4th 2012, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
This never gets old with you Brits, does it

This must be the 9,843rd such post in BE history to date. Has it occurred to anyone that you are in a foreign country and that we speak an American form of English or that we think you are mispronouncing the words

Go on take a whack ... I'm offering the other cheek
I would say 'chaize lounge' and 'coop' for coupé are wrong.

Some of the others are just words we have difficulty getting to grips with, so don't take it personally. We are just finding our way. We're kind of talking amongst ourselves.
Old May 4th 2012, 3:47 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

I spend HOURS on this site just putting in words and then getting angry. And this is the specific word I use to illustrate how maddening some words are. By wife says she genuinely cannot hear any difference between the two words.

http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionar...ctionary/fox_1

Of course - it's much more fun (and infinitely childish) to just put swearwords in and hear English and American pronunciation.
Old May 4th 2012, 3:52 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
I spend HOURS on this site just putting in words and then getting angry. And this is the specific word I use to illustrate how maddening some words are. By wife says she genuinely cannot hear any difference between the two words.

http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionar...ctionary/fox_1

Of course - it's much more fun (and infinitely childish) to just put swearwords in and hear English and American pronunciation.
It's true though, from experience - Americans don't hear the difference. People call (and spell, FFS!!) me "Berry" and insist, when I say "Barry" that it's exactly the same.
Old May 4th 2012, 3:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

Some of the others are just words we have difficulty getting to grips with, so don't take it personally. We are just finding our way. We're kind of talking amongst ourselves.

LOL I'm not luv. That's why I used all the similies
Old May 4th 2012, 4:07 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

The Scream was sold, the news guy said it was painted by 'Edvard Munch' (and not Monk) was that American pronunciation, or a one off ignorant?
Old May 4th 2012, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

LOL I'm not luv. That's why I used all the similies

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The Scream was sold, the news guy said it was painted by 'Edvard Munch' (and not Monk) was that American pronunciation, or a one off ignorant?
I would say it with a 'ch' as in 'loch', not sure if that's correct.
Old May 4th 2012, 4:18 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know, I booked a guest on a riverboat cruise, asking him to spell his surname which was German. I pronounced it the German way and he corrected me because it had been anglicized (or americanized, ), once his family had settled here.

Then again that opens up a whole other can of worms about spelling not equaling the way it should be said..... I remember my Dad teaching me the correct way to pronounce Mao's name, not because he was more intelligent (although he was a pretty smart cookie), but because he was stationed in China during WWII.
Old May 4th 2012, 4:36 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
koodose.

IT'S QUE DOS, numpty nuts!
Thanks for the good laugh. I love that phrase numpty nuts. I don't think I have ever actually said the word kudos to anyone, but, of course, I would pronounce it the way you do.

Coop, as in the type of car.

IT'S COOPAY.
I would say it's both ways and I probably use both ways. Cadillac Coupe de Ville, for example, sounds much better without the accent on the "e".

And 'rout' for router (rooter).
Interesting comment. As I mentioned before, I detest rowte for route with a passion, but I always say rowter for router. When I come across a word for the first time, such as router when I set up our house for wi-fi, I would always pronounce it the American way because that is all I know.

Originally Posted by Bob
I think it depends on where you are. Up in Maine, I generally didn't have a problem with it....down in Mass, it's been far more of a problem, especially when living in the burbs or heading into Boston.
I was standing in a daze at the supermarket this morning and a couple of guys asked me what I needed. I said a cold bottle of water and they immediately jumped to it. Never had a problem with that word.

This must be the 9,843rd such post in BE history to date. Has it occurred to anyone that you are in a foreign country and that we speak an American form of English or that we think you are mispronouncing the words
But this is a British chat forum and we're here to chat about British things. If it really is the 9,843rd such post in BE history, people still seem interested in the topic. The language changes all the time anyway so new words come up for discussion. BTW, I'm not in a foreign country and I would never refer to myself as a foreigner.

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Vit-amin/Vite-amin is another one.
Forgot about that one. Which is the American pronunciation?

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Have you just discovered the "BOLD" button, FFS???????????
I enjoy using the bold icon for emphasis. You, on the other hand, enjoy cursing and an excessive use of acronyms.

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I had thought the same, but then I realize it starts when a new poster discovers BE, and predictably brings the same issues to the forum as have been brought numerous times before, bread, bacon, accents, pronunciations, driving, etc, etc
It's hard being a newbie because we are not sure what has been discussed before. Nobody has time to troll through hundreds of pages of thread topics. I was glad that nobody had started a youtube favorite piece of music thread, but some of us are reluctant to start a thread in case it's been done to death before. None of us wishes to be predictable so bear with us if we are boring you. After all you aren't obliged to open a new thread.

My least favourite at the moment is when I hear people referring to width, length and heighTH (Height with a TH sound on the end).
Haven't come across that, but it is ridiculous.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
See comment above; I believe coupé and coupe are interchangeable.

Chaize lounge is hideous and I believe entirely due to laziness. Nobody would pronounce ballet without a silent "t" so it's not that hard to pronounce a French word.

Ignorance. What did it sell for, do you know?
Old May 4th 2012, 4:46 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Primula

I would say it's both ways and I probably use both ways. Cadillac Coupe de Ville, for example, sounds much better without the accent on the "e".

Not if you're French, it doesn't.
Old May 4th 2012, 4:48 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Not if you're French, it doesn't.
I'm not French.
Old May 4th 2012, 4:51 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

This never gets old with you Brits, does it

Go on take a whack ... I'm offering the other cheek
Dead right Rete, don't know what's worse. Newbies keep posting about moving to Florida or the continual they don't do it here like we do in the UK threads.

Who bloody cares. When in Rome etc. I await the next inane thread with trepidation, move on people get with the program.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.