British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Is America the greatest country in the world? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/america-greatest-country-world-561025/)

Tracym Sep 17th 2008 12:43 pm

Re: Is America the greatest country in the world?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6790740)
You're speaking to the departed.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Steerpike Sep 17th 2008 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 6792389)
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think, in his brief existence on this board, his posts were the most negative I've ever read on a consistent basis (in a pointless, mean-spirited way). Kali had a post count of 10 posts a day and they were all negative swipes at some aspect of America - the voting system is a sham, the people are all talk, SF is a has-been town, the sports suck, the TV sucks, political commentary sucks, workers rights suck, employers suck, everyone is fat and lazy, you can't eat the fish, there is no culture ... and that's just in the past week or two, on threads that I've read. And if you tried to debate any point, he'd start taking personal swipes - belittling where you live, where you are from, etc ... one of the most depressing posters I've ever come across! I wonder where he wastes his time posting now? I suspect he'll be back on here soon enough, with a new ID ... .

cindyabs Sep 18th 2008 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 6794634)
I think, in his brief existence on this board, his posts were the most negative I've ever read on a consistent basis (in a pointless, mean-spirited way). Kali had a post count of 10 posts a day and they were all negative swipes at some aspect of America - the voting system is a sham, the people are all talk, SF is a has-been town, the sports suck, the TV sucks, political commentary sucks, workers rights suck, employers suck, everyone is fat and lazy, you can't eat the fish, there is no culture ... and that's just in the past week or two, on threads that I've read. And if you tried to debate any point, he'd start taking personal swipes - belittling where you live, where you are from, etc ... one of the most depressing posters I've ever come across! I wonder where he wastes his time posting now? I suspect he'll be back on here soon enough, with a new ID ... .

there was one thing he did like here.........................

the money. :blink:

elfman Sep 18th 2008 12:01 am

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 6794691)
there was one thing he did like here.........................

the money. :blink:

and he had a few swipes at Uncle Eb, so he wasn't all bad

another bloody yank Sep 18th 2008 12:22 am

I hate to see people banned. I understand it, he must have broke a rule or ignored a warning somwhere, and he was obnoxious, but I still don't like to see it.

Jerseygirl Sep 18th 2008 1:16 am

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 6794730)
I hate to see people banned. I understand it, he must have broke a rule or ignored a warning somwhere, and he was obnoxious, but I still don't like to see it.

A banning is never done lightly. Usually the person concerned has had several warnings...sometimes done via PM...sometimes on the forum. Quite often the ban is temporary...usually 1 month...in the hope that they will change their ways when they return.

katieuk Sep 18th 2008 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6794819)
A banning is never done lightly. Usually the person concerned has had several warnings...sometimes done via PM...sometimes on the forum. Quite often the ban is temporary...usually 1 month...in the hope that they will change their ways when they return.

I always have a couple of gripes about things that I need to get out of my system - am I going to get in trouble - or was he a full-on-hater?!!!

Jerseygirl Sep 18th 2008 1:50 am

Originally Posted by katieuk (Post 6794876)
I always have a couple of gripes about things that I need to get out of my system - am I going to get in trouble - or was he a full-on-hater?!!!

Don't worry most of us Brits on here have gripes...that's why most of us join BE. Then you just get sucked into the humour and sarcasm and there's no escape. :lol:

katieuk Sep 18th 2008 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6794880)
Don't worry most of us Brits on here have gripes...that's why most of us join BE. Then you just get sucked into the humour and sarcasm and there's no escape. :lol:

That's good to know - I have gripes aplenty - number one being the American hubby using my last PG Tips/Tesco Extra Strong Blend, leaving me with some green decaffinated excuse for a tea bag to start my day....:frown:

MrEmjoy Sep 18th 2008 2:01 am

PG Tips???

Yuk

Taylors of Harrogate Mi dears is the only tea merchants to trust.

:p

Tracym Sep 18th 2008 2:04 am

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 6794730)

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 6794634)

Nastiest poster I have ever seen - I for one am glad to see him go. His only intent seemed to be to upset and hurt people.

I would hate to see all sorts banned for minor things - but in this case, I think it was richly deserved, and I am relieved and delighted.

katieuk Sep 18th 2008 2:08 am

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy (Post 6794900)
PG Tips???

Yuk

Taylors of Harrogate Mi dears is the only tea merchants to trust.

:p

PG Tips from the local supermarket, mixed with Tesco Extra Strong in one cup. Let it stew for 5 minutes - a splash of milk. Coal Miner Strength.

Jerseygirl Sep 18th 2008 2:16 am

Originally Posted by katieuk (Post 6794911)
PG Tips from the local supermarket, mixed with Tesco Extra Strong in one cup. Let it stew for 5 minutes - a splash of milk. Coal Miner Strength.

I can buy PG Tips at a few places locally. My sister laughs at me because I use 2 bags and let it brew until the spoon stands up...her words not mine.

Ray posted a link to Amazon.com a while ago...PG Tips were on sale!

Triumphrob Sep 18th 2008 4:57 am

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 6776399)
I don't think it's the greatest country in the world, I don't think any country is, you can quote statistics on various things as to who worldwide is the most this or the least that, whatever, -shrugs.

All I know is it's my home.

So right!!! Having lived in two countries, and my wife another two, I can only say America is a great country, though NOT the best, there IS No best, in fact there is no competition.
There is good and bad in all countries, but it seem to me, the majority of Americans who boast America is the best country in the world are the ones who have never traveled.

Triumphrob Sep 18th 2008 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Jules Europe (Post 6780944)
The great thing about the USA is that you got all these legends virtually living on your front door.

And of course that doesnt happen in other countrys, right?