Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Am I entitled to anything?

Am I entitled to anything?

Old Nov 9th 2014, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I entitled to anything?

Originally Posted by Rete
Here in NYC they play up to the Hispanic voter and the pollers don't check if you are a USC of not if you are registered and you can register when you get your driver's license by clicking a box. Just that easy. US Citizenship does not have to proven.
My wife didn't have to prove her citizenship when she registered to vote here in NYS but she did have to provide proof the first time she voted.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Here in NYC they play up to the Hispanic voter and the pollers don't check if you are a USC of not if you are registered and you can register when you get your driver's license by clicking a box. Just that easy. US Citizenship does not have to proven.
It is estimated that in some states, voter suppression laws (voter ID laws) have reduced the turnout by more than 5%. Some of those are women because of a name change via marriage and since the US doesn't require any official court document for a name change, that sometimes can be a hassle when the voter ID name doesn't match the voter registration roles, Although states usually allow the person with a name change to sign an affidavit that they are that person, there is no way to know if it is really that person but if they are black or Hispanic, the picture on the ID may just possibly not look exactly like the person.

In some states, hunting permits are allowed as an ID but student IDs are not yet neither proves citizenship. Although the vast majority of hunters own a car and don't need the hunting permit as an ID, many students may not own a car.

Do conservatives want women and young people to vote or would they prefer hunters to vote?

Last edited by Michael; Nov 10th 2014 at 12:37 am.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't recall being asked to ever prove my citizenship for voting, and now they even mail be the ballot in a foreign country if I request one, and other then a signature that confirms I was a USC and a bunch of legal stuff, no actual proof has ever been asked for.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 11:09 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndFinally
So I paid my second years worth of Federal tax, NY State Tax and NY City Tax a while ago. I'm here on an L1A - am I entitled to anything from the state or the government? (Other than getting a free social security number!) Can I vote for anything? Years ago when I lived in mainland Europe I could at least vote in local elections and the European elections.
I'm a US citizen. Does paying taxes entitle me to anything beyond what the taxes are supposed to pay for?
Old Nov 10th 2014, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndFinally
Thanks - it's what I suspected. I hear that in some States a number of illegal aliens have been able to vote, how does that figure into your statement above?
Which statement would that be?

Illegal is illegal. They are breaking the law just by being here illegally and voting is compounded on top. I don't think I made any kind of statement about entitlement relating to illegal activity.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

merrodri has a reputation beyond reputemerrodri has a reputation beyond reputemerrodri has a reputation beyond reputemerrodri has a reputation beyond reputemerrodri has a reputation beyond reputemerrodri has a reputation beyond reputemerrodri has a reputation beyond reputemerrodri has a reputation beyond reputemerrodri has a reputation beyond reputemerrodri has a reputation beyond reputemerrodri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Texas had a total of 2 documented illegal votes over a 10 year period. The rumor is just a rumor since "red states" like Texas would love to prove it but can't prove it.

And why would an illegal voter risk voting to call attention to themselves?
2011's Top Five Immigration Myths | Political Correction

There Is "Virtually No Evidence" Of Widespread Voter Fraud And Non-Citizen Voting Is Even Rarer
Old Nov 10th 2014, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

AndFinally is an unknown quantity at this point

So the short answer is that I'm not entitled to anything. To be clear, this was a question related to whether I was rather than should I be. Thanks for all the comments.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 8:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merrodri
2011's Top Five Immigration Myths | Political Correction

There Is "Virtually No Evidence" Of Widespread Voter Fraud .....
Well there wouldn't be if you don't have a control to prevent it.

There's not much evidence of speeding on interstates, but I bet if you set up speedtraps you'd find that speeding is rather common.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

There's always a lot more people calling for ID checks at polling booths than there are people calling for verifying a list of registered voters against a list of legal residents, the latter being a way of seeing potential voter fraud and the former being a way of preventing legal voters from being able to vote.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 10:37 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well there wouldn't be if you don't have a control to prevent it.

There's not much evidence of speeding on interstates, but I bet if you set up speedtraps you'd find that speeding is rather common.
Originally Posted by Anian
There's always a lot more people calling for ID checks at polling booths than there are people calling for verifying a list of registered voters against a list of legal residents, the latter being a way of seeing potential voter fraud and the former being a way of preventing legal voters from being able to vote.
They can't even get those who are allowed to vote to actually vote in this country. Efforts would be better spent there.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible that some 'Hispanic voters' actually are US citizens?
Old Nov 10th 2014, 11:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Voting is a right and a privilege afforded by citizens only...
Some states do allow LPR's to vote in local elections, such as mayor, school board, that kind of stuff.

Not worth the hassle though as you don't want to end up voting for something on the Federal level by accident.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 11:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have seen posts by people who are permanent residents and have voted by mistake.

Last time Obama was in Colorado guess what you had to have to attend his rally?
Old Nov 11th 2014, 12:38 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
..... Last time Obama was in Colorado guess what you had to have to attend his rally?
A matricula consular?