Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Am I entitled to anything?

Am I entitled to anything?

Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:19 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 76
AndFinally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I entitled to anything?

So I paid my second years worth of Federal tax, NY State Tax and NY City Tax a while ago. I'm here on an L1A - am I entitled to anything from the state or the government? (Other than getting a free social security number!) Can I vote for anything? Years ago when I lived in mainland Europe I could at least vote in local elections and the European elections.
AndFinally is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:28 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Guindalf's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,903
Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I entitled to anything?

Without naturalization, the only thing you're entitled to is the right to stay in the country for as long as your visa allows.

Voting is a right and a privilege afforded by citizens only and, as there is no path from L1A to citizenship, the answer is as stated above.
Guindalf is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:42 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 76
AndFinally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Am I entitled to anything?

Originally Posted by Guindalf View Post
Without naturalization, the only thing you're entitled to is the right to stay in the country for as long as your visa allows.

Voting is a right and a privilege afforded by citizens only and, as there is no path from L1A to citizenship, the answer is as stated above.
There is a path to Citizenship from an L1A. My company petitions for my LPR and then I wait the 7 years before naturalising. If I want to that is.
AndFinally is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2014, 3:48 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Guindalf's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,903
Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I entitled to anything?

That's IF your company will petition. Ultimately, it's their choice, not yours. Still, my reply stands. You have no entitlement and, if you misbehave, they have the option to deport you, which can't happen if you're a US citizen.
Guindalf is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2014, 4:03 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 76
AndFinally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Am I entitled to anything?

Originally Posted by Guindalf View Post
That's IF your company will petition. Ultimately, it's their choice, not yours. Still, my reply stands. You have no entitlement and, if you misbehave, they have the option to deport you, which can't happen if you're a US citizen.
Thanks - it's what I suspected. I hear that in some States a number of illegal aliens have been able to vote, how does that figure into your statement above?
AndFinally is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2014, 4:17 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
Awesome Welles's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Belle Isle, Florida
Posts: 594
Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I entitled to anything?

Originally Posted by AndFinally View Post
how does that figure into your statement above?
They are illegal - so have done it illegally - it happens quite a lot, I think you'll find.
Awesome Welles is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2014, 4:25 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 76
AndFinally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Am I entitled to anything?

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles View Post
They are illegal - so have done it illegally - it happens quite a lot, I think you'll find.
Ah, so that's the way to effect democratic change - do it illegally! Who would have thought.
AndFinally is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2014, 4:28 pm
  #8  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I entitled to anything?

Originally Posted by AndFinally View Post
So I paid my second years worth of Federal tax, NY State Tax and NY City Tax a while ago. I'm here on an L1A - am I entitled to anything from the state or the government? (Other than getting a free social security number!) Can I vote for anything? Years ago when I lived in mainland Europe I could at least vote in local elections and the European elections.
Not really. And no reason why you should be either - you're temporarily in the United States and your home is (by definition) elsewhere. Although you are liable for U.S. taxes while you're in the United States, this liability ends when you leave.

That said, there are a few benefits that L holders may be able to access (state dependent), such as in-state tuition for dependents or unemployment insurance. Although the latter is largely irrelevant as you are expected to leave if your job ends.

Many L holders have a certificate of exemption from Social Security taxes, and instead pay the equivalent in their home country. If you do pay U.S. Social Security, you may be able to use the credits in your home country. If there is a Social Security agreement.

Unlawful voting is one of the worst possible transgressions you can commit, from an immigration law point of view.
JAJ is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2014, 4:32 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 76
AndFinally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Am I entitled to anything?

Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
Not really. And no reason why you should be either - you're temporarily in the United States and your home is (by definition) elsewhere. Although you are liable for U.S. taxes while you're in the United States, this liability ends when you leave.
So are you saying that if I leave the USA on the 31st of December without intention to come back (for work at least), that I don't need to pay any tax for the time I was in the USA this year?
AndFinally is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2014, 4:37 pm
  #10  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I entitled to anything?

Originally Posted by AndFinally View Post
So are you saying that if I leave the USA on the 31st of December without intention to come back (for work at least), that I don't need to pay any tax for the time I was in the USA this year?
No. If you live in the U.S. for 2014, you pay U.S. tax for 2014 (tax filing season in April 2015). However, you would not normally be liable to U.S. tax for 2015 and subsequent years, except on U.S source income. Depending on the details of the substantial presence test, etc, but this is the principle.

U.S. citizens and green card holders cannot escape U.S. taxes so easily.
JAJ is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2014, 4:42 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 76
AndFinally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Am I entitled to anything?

Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
No. If you live in the U.S. for 2014, you pay U.S. tax for 2014 (tax filing season in April 2015). However, you would not normally be liable to U.S. tax for 2015 and subsequent years, except on U.S source income. Depending on the details of the substantial presence test, etc, but this is the principle.

U.S. citizens and green card holders cannot escape U.S. taxes so easily.
Thanks - that was as I suspected. I always found the US substantial presence test interesting as it's 180 (maybe 182) days in a 3 year period rather than the 1 year period in some other countries. That's my understanding anyway.

I guess an ex-pat US Citizen can renounce their Citizenship if they wish to avoid US Tax.

I understand that you have to cut a future taxes deal with the IRS if you want to surrender your LPR?
AndFinally is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2014, 6:00 pm
  #12  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 44,370
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I entitled to anything?

Originally Posted by AndFinally View Post
There is a path to Citizenship from an L1A. My company petitions for my LPR and then I wait the 7 years before naturalising. If I want to that is.
Once you have PR status you can apply to naturalize 90 days prior to the total of 5 years as a PR. There is no 7 year limit.

Also note that if you try to vote and declare yourself a USC, you will never be able to get US Citizenship. So let those illegals who vote and the politicans who blindly watch on while this happen do what they want without your copying them.
Rete is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2014, 6:07 pm
  #13  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I entitled to anything?

Originally Posted by AndFinally View Post
Thanks - that was as I suspected. I always found the US substantial presence test interesting as it's 180 (maybe 182) days in a 3 year period rather than the 1 year period in some other countries. That's my understanding anyway.
One of the IRS publications explains how it works, both inbound and outbound. But isn't your employer paying for you to have appropriate tax advice?

I guess an ex-pat US Citizen can renounce their Citizenship if they wish to avoid US Tax.
They can, but then 1. there is no way to get back U.S. citizenship later on, other than qualifying as an immigrant and becoming naturalized, and 2. depending on circumstances, a former citizen may be a "covered expatriate" which has a range of adverse financial consequences.

I understand that you have to cut a future taxes deal with the IRS if you want to surrender your LPR?
There is no "cut a future taxes deal". A person is liable for U.S. federal tax up to the point where LPR status is formally revoked or surrendered. Leaving aside the situations where LPR status is forcibly removed, you surrender a green card using form I-407 (submitted at a U.S. Embassy, normally). The decision cannot be reversed later on. Once LPR status is lost, the tax consequences depend on how long it had been held. A long term green card holder (long term = 6-8 years normally, depending on exact dates) could become a "covered expatriate" in the same way as a former U.S. citizen.
JAJ is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2014, 6:09 pm
  #14  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 10,678
Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I entitled to anything?

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
So let those illegals who vote and the politicans who blindly watch on while this happen do what they want without your copying them.
Texas had a total of 2 documented illegal votes over a 10 year period. The rumor is just a rumor since "red states" like Texas would love to prove it but can't prove it.

And why would an illegal voter risk voting to call attention to themselves?
Michael is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2014, 11:46 pm
  #15  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 44,370
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I entitled to anything?

Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Texas had a total of 2 documented illegal votes over a 10 year period. The rumor is just a rumor since "red states" like Texas would love to prove it but can't prove it.

And why would an illegal voter risk voting to call attention to themselves?
Here in NYC they play up to the Hispanic voter and the pollers don't check if you are a USC of not if you are registered and you can register when you get your driver's license by clicking a box. Just that easy. US Citizenship does not have to proven.
Rete is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.