Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

For All Those Who Think Uk Tradesmen Are Cowboys

For All Those Who Think Uk Tradesmen Are Cowboys

Old Jan 13th 2004, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

JayJay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For All Those Who Think Uk Tradesmen Are Cowboys

We are getting ready to sell our apartment (in the Former Soviet Union), ready to move home and we had arranged for a (Professional?) Painter to come today and freshen up the walls.
He originally told us one week maximum to finish the whole apartment.
He eventually arrived two hours late (no explanation) and immediately had a tea break.
He worked for ten minutes and then announced that the Paint rollers I had bought were rubbish.
When I checked his work it turned out that he had watered down the emulsion to the consistency of clear soup and when I asked why, he told me proudly that he wanted to save me money.

After much discussion he resumed work using undiluted paint, and after 3 hours despite numerous smoke breaks he finished two walls. He then started swearing loudly and told me that the walls were "not in condition to receive paint" and to prove his point he scraped off 3 huge chunks leaving deep scars in the wall.
When I had calmed down I asked him what he proposed to do to remedy the situation. He told me that he could bring along a friend and scrape down the walls, replaster them and then paint from fresh all of which would take 4 days(only for the toilet), and incidentally he can't start tomorrow as he needs a day off to rest as "he was stressed out working for us demanding foreigners"
It's not surprising the Ex-Pats here soon adopt the local custom of high vodka intake........
Old Jan 13th 2004, 5:02 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For All Those Who Think Uk Tradesmen Are Cowboys

Originally posted by JayJay
We are getting ready to sell our apartment (in the Former Soviet Union), ready to move home and we had arranged for a (Professional?) Painter to come today and freshen up the walls.
He eventually arrived two hours late (no explanation) and immediately had a tea break.
He worked for ten minutes and then announced that the Paint rollers I had bought were rubbish.
When I checked his work it turned out that he had watered down the emulsion to the consistency of clear soup and when I asked why, he told me proudly that he wanted to save me money.

After much discussion he resumed work using undiluted paint, and after 3 hours despite numerous smoke breaks he finished two walls. He then started swearing loudly and told me that the walls were "not in condition to receive paint" and to prove his point he scraped off 3 huge chunks leaving deep scars in the wall.
When I had calmed down I asked him what he proposed to do to remedy the situation. He told me that he could bring along a friend and scrape down the walls, replaster them and then paint from fresh all of which would take 4 days(only for the toilet), and incidentally he can't start tomorrow as he needs a day off to rest as "he was stressed out working for us demanding foreigners"
It's not surprising the Ex-Pats here soon adopt the local custom of high vodka intake........
I've been trying to get some rotten sub-floor repaired. Can't even get a bid - they either don't turn up, or don't even get under the house to look properly, or don't send me a bid. It took me almost 3 months to find the guy who's currently fixing it (actually, he seems pretty good) - of 8 different companies, only 2 actually turned up, looked properly, and gave me a bid. The reason I'm having to get the repairs done in the first place is because the company who did it when I bought the house 3 years ago didn't even nail the wood down, and left half of the rotten wood there (didn't replace it).
Old Jan 14th 2004, 2:58 am
Merlot

Default Re: For All Those Who Think Uk Tradesmen Are Cowboys

Originally posted by JayJay

My Dad is a Painter/Decorator (30yrs plus) in the NE of England, maybe send him a cheap ticket and he will fly over for you.

Hope you get sorted soon, sounds a right pain.

Good luck
Merlot

Old Jan 17th 2004, 7:21 am
Goodpubmisser

Hiring tradesmen is the same in any country - you have to ask around to find out who is any good.

I have ended up doing many jobs myself simply because I did not want to go through all the hassle of engaging a tradesman. Some jobs are suprisingly easy, like I re-tiled a bathroom, fixed a blocked up toilet etc. I only call a tradesman if all else fails.

Painting is also a thing that is very easy to do and does not need a tradesman. Just look up how to do it and then do it yourself. If you want more fun out the situation, telephone your original Painter and then tell him that you did it yourself and how easy it was.