British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   All I want for Christmas is.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/all-i-want-christmas-888951/)

Wintersong Dec 31st 2016 12:34 am

Re: All I want for Christmas is..

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12139490)
I've driven in CA. Between (and in) San Franciso and Fresno. I just drove really fast in the left lane. Seemed to match what most other drivers were doing.

Whichever lane takes your fancy, tbh.

SultanOfSwing Dec 31st 2016 12:35 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12139498)
State troopers, at least in Oregon, are mainly there for traffic.

Yeah, I've seen loads of people pulled over by troopers on my travels in Wisconsin. Though I got my ticket in my home state and it was Cook County Sheriffs, rather than IL state troopers who nabbed me.

Seems to be the trick is don't draw attention to yourself and don't push your luck.

mrken30 Dec 31st 2016 5:42 am

A lot of places speeding fines are a source of revenue. There was cases near me of cyclists getting tickets several years back and cars would get pulled for doing 3 miles over the limit on the freeway. it's mostly small cities with limited resources that take this approach.

Bob Jan 5th 2017 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12139596)
A lot of places speeding fines are a source of revenue. There was cases near me of cyclists getting tickets several years back and cars would get pulled for doing 3 miles over the limit on the freeway. it's mostly small cities with limited resources that take this approach.

The missus, her aunt got a ticket for doing 32 in a 30, on the edge of town out on the island in Maine. That town, nearly all the revenue comes from speeding tickets of tourists in the summer as the speed limit dips from 45mph to 30mph on the bend, just as you go down a short hill and there's always a cop at the bottom of the dip.

What annoys me is NH. "Live free or die", my arse...there's nothing free about the 55mph interstate and the permanent collection of state cops hiding in the ditches at the bottom of the hills or with the chopper up above.

mrken30 Jan 5th 2017 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 12143807)
The missus, her aunt got a ticket for doing 32 in a 30, on the edge of town out on the island in Maine. That town, nearly all the revenue comes from speeding tickets of tourists in the summer as the speed limit dips from 45mph to 30mph on the bend, just as you go down a short hill and there's always a cop at the bottom of the dip.

What annoys me is NH. "Live free or die", my arse...there's nothing free about the 55mph interstate and the permanent collection of state cops hiding in the ditches at the bottom of the hills or with the chopper up above.

The bad thing is most of the radar guns probably haven't been calibrated in years. The attorneys love these tickets aswell. Surprised an attorney's card didn't come with the ticket. http://www.drivinglaws.org/resources...gun-accuracy-m

Bob Jan 7th 2017 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12143815)
The bad thing is most of the radar guns probably haven't been calibrated in years. The attorneys love these tickets aswell. Surprised an attorney's card didn't come with the ticket. Fighting a Speeding Ticket: Police Laser Gun Accuracy and Maintenance | DrivingLaws.org

In Maine, you need to be present, not just an attorney, if you want to contest the ticket, which is why they love out of state people, because most just won't bother. Plus they don't notify other states if the ticket is below I think 20mph over the limit.