Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

air fares:one way v's return

air fares:one way v's return

Old Nov 10th 2010, 1:32 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute
Default air fares:one way v's return

has anybody just bought a return ticket when going back for good verses the one way ticket just to save money?
Old Nov 10th 2010, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

HurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud of
Default Re: air fares:one way v's return

We plan on buying a return because it's basically half the price of a one way ticket. If you read the small print on the websites sometimes they say you can claim back some money for unused portions of your travel (It's subject to a fee if successful but still it may be worth trying).
Old Nov 10th 2010, 2:37 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We bought Ds a return on BA as it was cheaper then he canceled the return part and asked for a refund on the taxes and fees, they refunded to my CC no questions asked.
I've heard the US companies refuse to give refunds.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

osnaith is an unknown quantity at this point

Mummy in the foothills - Can you please inform me how to go about making the claim for the refund of the unused return part of the trip for taxes and fees?

You will make me the most popular person in the household for months hahaha

We are moving from Mexico to Uk with a 3 year old so any $$$ saved would be great
Old Nov 12th 2010, 11:59 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

It was British airways I went to the website and used the 800 number from the US. Ds went in the travel agents, in the UK and canceled his return part they told him to let me know to call and ask for a refund on the taxes, so I did. Really nice about it they were and the money appeared back on my CC in about 8 days. They keep a bit for "processing"
Someone in the US forum tried to get the taxes back from a US airline company, I forget which one, but they said no way, you don't get anything back. So it may be some European thing, and the US ignores it and keeps the taxes themselves.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

return tickets are not always cheaper than one-way, but historicaly this was the case

many airlines charge fares by "sector"

try researching one-way and return fares on BA's website and see what you find

I flew one-way back to UK on BA

btw, refunds won't include the travel taxes and fuel surcharges, and can take 3-4 months to process
Old Nov 15th 2010, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

I know it is not the best Airline...but it is cheap and the flight is only 7 hours ...But Air transat they actually bill one ways as half of the return price.

No refunds to worry about. Unfortunately they only seem to service 3 location in the USA, they are mainly a Canadian company i think.

:-)
Old Nov 15th 2010, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Texas and soon back to normality in the UK!!!!Yeh!!!!!
dottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nice

Originally Posted by reeni
I know it is not the best Airline...but it is cheap and the flight is only 7 hours ...But Air transat they actually bill one ways as half of the return price.

No refunds to worry about. Unfortunately they only seem to service 3 location in the USA, they are mainly a Canadian company i think.

:-)
We booked a one way ticket through Cheap0Air.com by far the cheapest.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 3:27 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dottypotty
We booked a one way ticket through Cheap0Air.com by far the cheapest.
way cheaper than BA!! but many of the flights don't tell you which airlines? do you find out when you book online? I'll need to know luggage fees etc
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
way cheaper than BA!! but many of the flights don't tell you which airlines? do you find out when you book online? I'll need to know luggage fees etc
On Friday last, we booked one way to UK, via BA from Thailand - but then maybe, they were so cheap because lots of guys come here for a cheap fling! dontheturner
Old Nov 17th 2010, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Gill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud of

It wasn't cheaper for our dates in January 2011 to book a return flight, so we did it one way.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Location: Texas and soon back to normality in the UK!!!!Yeh!!!!!
dottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nice

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
Yes, you will. Watch for the air taxes too. Good luck
Old Nov 17th 2010, 6:31 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Earlier this year we booked Virgin, from Washington Dulles to Heathrow, cost of the air ticket return was about double the cost of one way, but in Total, one way was cheaper overall because Taxes on the return leg made return more expensive.