After the 'storm'

Old Dec 17th 2014, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default After the 'storm'

Here in SoCal.

After the rain showers..(very nice thank you).

Now with all the mild weather my property has new weeds sprouting everywhere.

And the Hummingbirds are not inclined to leave yet.

And we still haven't used the log fire, see pic below. Not cold enough whereas usually we start it mid Nov.

Old Dec 17th 2014, 2:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After the 'storm'

I like the fireplace. Been warm here as well, aside from a week in November, we haven't had to use the heat, place stays 70 degrees inside no problem.

It's been a very warm but wet winter so far up around here, the ski resort town where I work has not had much snow, mostly man made snow.

I see someday the place a deserted ghost town, seems to be warmer and warmer every winter and less and less snow.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 2:51 am
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Thats looks very nice and cosy, i'm jealous.
Are the houses built of brick or block where you are?
I'd be nervous about having a house built of wood with a fireplace, like i used too in MA. But then it doesn't take me much to worry.
Get your stockings up and Ales down
Old Dec 17th 2014, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
I'd be nervous about having a house built of wood with a fireplace, like i used too in MA. But then it doesn't take me much to worry.
All California homes are likely wood due to the earthquakes. I had two fireplaces in my townhouse and the biggest danger was sparks jumping out on the carpet with a wire mesh screen.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Really pretty fireplace.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Please note..that fireplace is almost identical to the one Mrs Hotscot and I built but that one is off the web....

Here's the real one. Burns logs. Fantastic.
I painted the fireplace with a two part epoxy paint.

(Concrete floor, paper rubbish at the right to burn, my shoes strewn about on the left.)
[House is timber frame with stucco but the whole fireplace system is highly insulated with stainless steel lining.)

Last edited by Hotscot; Dec 17th 2014 at 3:31 am.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Our fireplace is lined inside with faux bricks - probably some sort of insulating concrete made to look like bricks. Wood frame house with stucco, per above.

It's still raining here, 4C when I got up - though a few days ago it was 1C in the morning. Nice to see the snow on the mountains in the distance though. There was barely any all winter last year.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh yes the inside has the firebricks but the steel is at the back, and in the flue separating the firebox from any combustibles.

And after growing Eucalyptus and Pine the past 8 years we have plenty fuel. (Although we also get almond and oak from a local guy.)
Old Dec 17th 2014, 4:32 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
The houses are wood framed -- but then the walls are plastered, usually with exterior stucco. Wood siding is not all that common. Wood shakes used to be a common roofing material but they have been prohibited in L.A.for quite some time.

It is during construction that stick buildings are most at risk of fire -- as per the "Da Vinci" fire recently here in L.A.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 4:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
The houses are wood framed -- but then the walls are plastered, usually with exterior stucco. Wood siding is not all that common. Wood shakes used to be a common roofing material but they have been prohibited in L.A.for quite some time.

It is during construction that stick buildings are most at risk of fire -- as per the "Da Vinci" fire recently here in L.A.
Drywall/ sheet rock is relatively fire resistant, sufficient to get people out if a house catches fire.

Old chimneys may be unlined and totally unsafe. I have demolished two entirely (down into the crawlspace), and one of them had no liner and mortar that was no more use in holding the bricks together than sand would have been! A fire would likely have set fire to the chimney enclosure and/or the roof within an hour or two of being used. Thankfully we don't get earthquakes of any magnitude here, because it wouldn't have taken more than a little shaking to bring the chimney down.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Drywall/ sheet rock is relatively fire resistant, sufficient to get people out if a house catches fire.
We put double layer of 5/8ths all round the house for insulation and also for soundproofing. Music and movies.

In addition, double French doors on every room for easy access.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 5:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
We put double layer of 5/8ths all round the house for insulation and also for soundproofing. Music and movies. ....
(Extra) fibre glass, if necessary by adding 2x2s to turn an external 2x4 wall into a 2x6 wall, and off-set studs in interior walls, that are each only attached to one wall surface, plus fibre glass would make more difference that 1/8" of extra gypsum.

Off-set studs and fibre glass batts are what party walls in duplexes and row houses should be made from.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I agree but I'm happy with it.
I can't even hear Mrs Hotscot shouting from her office at the other end.
Old Dec 17th 2014, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot
.... I can't even hear Mrs Hotscot shouting from her office at the other end.
That sounds like a win to me!
Old Dec 17th 2014, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
(Extra) fibre glass, if necessary by adding 2x2s to turn an external 2x4 wall into a 2x6 wall, and off-set studs in interior walls, that are each only attached to one wall surface, plus fibre glass would make more difference that 1/8" of extra gypsum.

Off-set studs and fibre glass batts are what party walls in duplexes and row houses should be made from.
So... leave existing wall as-is, but nail 2x2 onto the existing wall and into the existing studs, stick insulation between the new studs, stick plasterboard onto the new studs?

Our master bedroom shares a wall with the kitchen so it's a bit of a racket when the kids make breakfast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.