Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Adding insult to injury

Wikiposts

Adding insult to injury

Old Jul 9th 2016, 3:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adding insult to injury

Originally Posted by Asg123
I'm not sure why they don't just choose out of the people who don't make excuses. When I went only a fraction of the people were called and one of them was a lady who had made an excuse but whose excuse the judge had obviously not thought acceptable. ....
Mrs P was called for jury duty when she was five months pregnant. She requested to be excused from serving, but the judge denied her request, and instead offered her a three month deferral.

As Mrs P had no interest in being in a jury pool when she was eight months pregnant, nor indeed with a baby (if she was only deferred, not excused next time), she just went along while pregnant. When she showed up at court the clerk asked why she hadn't been excused.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 12:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Mrs P was called for jury duty when she was five months pregnant. She requested to be excused from serving, but the judge denied her request, and instead offered her a three month deferral.

As Mrs P had no interest in being in a jury pool when she was eight months pregnant, nor indeed with a baby (if she was only deferred, not excused next time), she just went along while pregnant. When she showed up at court the clerk asked why she hadn't been excused.
I was astounded how easy it was to get out of jury duty. Apart from all the weak excuses...jurors had a long list of questions to answer. Unfortunately one of my answers meant I was excused.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 4:02 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm glad to hear that you're on the mend, you old fool. .... Is that what you meant by adding insult to injury?
Close
Old Jul 10th 2016, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

AS someone once said to me, "It could have been worse..."

"...it could have been me!!!"
Old Jul 10th 2016, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Next time your sitting in the jury pool with time on your hands, look at who is invariably called. I call it trial by government worker as they are generally the only ones who get paid and thus are enthusiastic about serving as it breaks up the day to day tedium of normal government work.

To the OP get well soon.
Old Jul 10th 2016, 5:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Next time your sitting in the jury pool with time on your hands, look at who is invariably called. I call it trial by government worker as they are generally the only ones who get paid and thus are enthusiastic about serving as it breaks up the day to day tedium of normal government work.

To the OP get well soon.
Actually it is the opposite where I am. If you work for the county then they usually don't chose you. They want you behind your desk working for the pay check they give you!