Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

accessing inheritance money

accessing inheritance money

Old Nov 8th 2014, 12:39 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: accessing inheritance money

Originally Posted by scot47
6d old 2.5p new. Remember those lunatic half pences ? Stupid sods should have decimalised on the basis of the new pound as ten shillings old money.
I have a farthing tucked away somewhere, worth a little over 0.1 "new pence" (anyone remember that phrase?)
Old Nov 8th 2014, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
The OP will shortly reveal that he is also heir to a large Nigerian fortune, and requires our assistance in getting it to a Swiss bank.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/trail.../#post11463870
Old Nov 8th 2014, 1:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yes, after sitting out in the sun for several hours. I think they did me a favor, forcing me to drink it. I hate milk as a drink, I only use it in tea and in cooking. Cannot imagine drinking it by the glassful and by the pint like a lot of Americans do.
You sound like my father, who I never remember seeing drink milk, and refused to eat yoghurt either, even if my mother served it as the dessert at the dinner table, he said it tasted sour. That said, he didn't even put milk in his tea, so the only place I remember him drinking milk was a little dribble that he sprinkled on his cereal.

I don't remember that school milk tasting great (it didn't), but I still love a glass, or three, of cold milk. I have adjusted to the slightly different taste of American homogenized v British pasteurized milk, and little Miss P and I usually get through 4-5 gallons a week*, depending on the time of year; Mrs P drinks some, but probably only account for a couple of pints a week.

* For anyone who wonders about my health, and specifically my blood cholesterol and lipids levels, they are perfectly "normal", and not even close to "needing" medication. ..... I have no idea if this is despite, or because, of my milk consumption.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 8th 2014 at 2:28 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 2:27 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You sound like my father, who I never remember seeing drink milk, and refused to eat yoghurt either, even if my mother served it as the dessert at the dinner table, he said it tasted sour. That said, he didn't even put milk in his tea, so the only place I remember him drinking milk was a little dribble that he sprinkled on his cereal.

I don't remember that school milk tasting great (it didn't), but I still love a glass, or three, of cold milk. I have adjusted to the slightly different taste of American homogenized v British pasteurized milk, and little Miss P and I usually get through 4-5 gallons a week*, depending on the time of year; Mrs P drinks some, but probably only account for a couple of pints a week.

For anyone who wonders about my health, and specifically my blood cholesterol and lipids levels, they are perfectly "normal", and not even close to "needing" medication. ..... I have no idea if this is despite, or because of my milk consumption.
So where were you going with that asterisk?

Anyway 4-5 gallons a week is insane. i really think drinking the koolade would be healthier.

I remember we used to get the milkman to deliver yogurt back in the 50s. My mother was brought up in the Middle East so yogurt was essential to her. In those days, the dairies sold it in little glass pots, quarter pint maybe, with a foil top just like a milk bottle. Plain only, no flavours.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 2:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So where were you going with that asterisk? .....
Last paragraph, now added.

.... Anyway 4-5 gallons a week is insane. ......
I might be insane, but I don't believe my milk consumption is conclusive proof!
Old Nov 8th 2014, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond repute

Last paragraph, now added.

Do you not get the urge to graze on grass whenever you see it?
Old Nov 8th 2014, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Amie06
Do you not get the urge to graze on grass whenever you see it? ....
No. ..... At least not more than eating steak makes me want to go outside and howl at a full moon.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 8th 2014 at 3:53 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure when Thatcher snatched the milk but I remember being forced to drink room temperature milk in 1978 and 1979 in infant school. Hated the stuff and by that time all children in the UK must have been getting sufficient nutrition not to have needed the school milk program. It wasn't as if rationing was still going on.

I don't think stopping the school milk program was in Thatchers list of shortcomings at all

I don't remember sixpences but I do remember one shilling was interchangeable for 5p and two shillings was a 10p.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I have a farthing tucked away somewhere, worth a little over 0.1 "new pence" (anyone remember that phrase?)
I've a few 1/2 pence coins I never spent, but the real pride and joy is a proper Television Broadcast Receiving Licence (including colour) from my local post office with a proper C3 stamp affixed and franked.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 6:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theOAP
I've a few 1/2 pence coins I never spent, but the real pride and joy is a proper Television Broadcast Receiving Licence (including colour) from my local post office with a proper C3 stamp affixed and franked.
Just watched a brilliant film, BBC The Voice of Britain (1935.). It's on a BFI DVD called Addressing the Nation, a collection of films from the GPO Film Unit. Apparently the BBC licence was 10/- a year back then!

On the topic of affixing stamps, and related to school milk, I remember when the Post Office Savings Bank operated in the primary school classroom. You bought savings stamps, maybe a penny or a halfpenny, in class, stuck them on a sheet, when it was full, the total amount was credited to your PO Savings Bank book. Interest was 2.5% for many decades. We used to think it was a derisory rate, now sounds pretty good.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 6:16 pm
Heading for Poppyland

eating steak makes me want to go outside and howl at a full moon.
Hmm. All small things but they're beginning to add up.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

He is OK his mother had him tested.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 7:24 pm

Hmm. All small things but they're beginning to add up.
Are you familiar with Rule #18?

Some people would probably add "moving to The South, the rural South, and enjoying it" to the evidence.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 8th 2014 at 7:26 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 7:43 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
He is OK his mother had him tested.
Before or after the "dropping on head" incident that no-one talks about...
Old Nov 8th 2014, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Before or after the "dropping on head" incident that no-one talks about. .....
I don't remember being dropped on my head.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.