Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

8, eight, I said EIGHT!!

8, eight, I said EIGHT!!

Old Jun 2nd 2013, 1:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 8, eight, I said EIGHT!!

Just spent 30 minutes on the phone to TWC to arrange a move and I just couldn't get the woman to understand my phone number. How ever many times I said 8, she said she didn't know what I was saying.

I got to the point where I said "Let's take it slowly. We're having a problem with one number because of my accent. It's not 5. It's not 6. It's not 7 but it is 8"

The response was "So the number's 5-6-7-8?"

Had to give up in the end and I'm going to have to visit a store.

I understand I have an accent but why can everyone at work understand me perfectly?
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 1:24 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8, eight, I said EIGHT!!

Just hang up and call back. With big places like that you rarely get the same person at the call center you are talking to in India.

You could also say "Ocho" which is Eight in Spanish. Sometimes that works.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 2nd 2013, 1:31 am
Account Closed

Brilliant!! Yeah, it was exactly like that
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 2:33 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dek
Just spent 30 minutes on the phone to TWC to arrange a move and I just couldn't get the woman to understand my phone number. How ever many times I said 8, she said she didn't know what I was saying.

I got to the point where I said "Let's take it slowly. We're having a problem with one number because of my accent. It's not 5. It's not 6. It's not 7 but it is 8"

The response was "So the number's 5-6-7-8?"

Had to give up in the end and I'm going to have to visit a store.

I understand I have an accent but why can everyone at work understand me perfectly?
I understand your frustration. For the first 2-3 years I was here, every time I'd ask for a diet coke, they thought I said Dr Pepper, or Sprite?! My wife found it hilarious. I gave up trying to order anything and just got her to order instead.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 4:56 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

sorry for laughing, but well it is funny, I think we've all been there.
I used to ask for water in Spanish when I fist got here, then I figured out they say it as wadder. Viola I can ask for it in "merican now.
I tried giving my email address over the phone to someone recently. OMG I wanted to yell at him. So frustrating. I must remember not to watch corrie before spelling out stuff over the phone. Apparently I am back to full Brit for a while after watching
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 11:55 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
I understand your frustration. For the first 2-3 years I was here, every time I'd ask for a diet coke, they thought I said Dr Pepper, or Sprite?! My wife found it hilarious. I gave up trying to order anything and just got her to order instead.
I still get similar issues after eleven years. .... Anything I say ahead of "sweet tea", leads to me getting unsweet tea. So I am trying to fight my natural tendency to follow Mrs P's drink order with either "... And sweet tea for me", or to answer using a sentence: "A sweet tea, please.", and trying to remember to stick to the three word retort "sweet tea please".
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 12:31 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Viola I can ask for it in "merican now.
OK let me get this straight. The waitperson wants your drink order, and you list out the instruments in a string quartet to them?
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 1:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
Same here. I don't even bother with drive-thru's.

Oh and OnStar, terrible. One saving grace, it also doesn't understand Main-ah's. One time it took almost 2 hours between the missus and I to get it to understand us so we could call her folks because the phone had died and was stuck in traffic so going to be quite late.

Gave up in the end
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 2:02 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Same in Canada too. It seems to be vowels that they have the problem with a for e that kind of thing.
When you have a first name that has two vowels and only one consonant, well lets just say I get some interesting spellings.
ZOA is the usual , even if I say "e for elephant". I once made the mistake of trying to use the phonetic alphabet, that really confuses them.
My middle name isn't "Oscar"
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 2:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
..... My middle name isn't "Oscar"
Are you an African warrior?
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 2:54 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

This reminds me of this wee clip on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMS2VnDveP8
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 3:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
This reminds me of this wee clip on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMS2VnDveP8
Hilarious. I have the same problem with the Sync system on my car. It's useless to me.

That just made me think. How come I can perfectly understand tons of other accents. (Scouse, Geordie, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, American, etc, etc)? It's not like I've really been surrounded by them growing up. Maybe I just picked it up from TV.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

It's annoying when they don't even understand trying to spell phonetically. Not even with common words rather than alpha/beta etc. Can you imagine the trouble I have spelling my name to Americans (and them pronouncing it)?

I have often thought about finding an email service with a suitably short domain name and username that are both hard to mess up.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 4:47 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I hate going into food places that ask your name for your order ( even my local Maccy ds has started doing this)
The combination of my accent and their inability to speak English leads to all kind of problems
I started giving a fake name but I cAnt even find one of those that doesn't cause problems.
I tried Jo, they even manage to mess that up !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.