Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

70th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Britain

70th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Britain

Old Jul 11th 2010, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Default 70th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Britain

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk/10588684.stm

The only Spitfire, still flying, to have served in the Battle of Britain, and one of only two airorthy Lancasters.

Thought that you may want to see this.

Jim.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 70th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Britain

I remember seeing the 50th Anniversary flight over Trafalgar Square in 1990. Amazing how time flies...quite literally.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:27 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I believe, and please correct if I'm wrong, that September 15th is the official Battle of Britain Day. If I'm correct I intend to fly my RAF flag that day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/3521611.stm
Old Jul 12th 2010, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I believe, and please correct if I'm wrong, that September 15th is the official Battle of Britain Day. If I'm correct I intend to fly my RAF flag that day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/3521611.stm
Quite possible, but, July 10th is when they began the Battle. As there is so few of the airmen left, it is only fitting that they get to commemorate this day.

Jim.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
September 15th is the official B of B day.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 6:01 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Quite possible, but, July 10th is when they began the Battle. As there is so few of the airmen left, it is only fitting that they get to commemorate this day.

Jim.
I wasn't suggesting otherwise it's just that I thought there was an official day to commemorate the Battle.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk/10588684.stm

The only Spitfire, still flying, to have served in the Battle of Britain, and one of only two airorthy Lancasters.

Thought that you may want to see this.

Jim.
The day we saved the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for this one.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 7:07 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I was in a bar a couple of years ago when they were playing the Battle of Britain on the flat-screen TVs. Iron Maiden's 'Run to the hills" was playing on the jukebox during a particularly vigorous air battle. The effect, although unintentional, was breath-taking.

9 to 1 and still the Few prevailed. Thanks to radar, and a rather special Supermarine aircraft.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: 70th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Britain

And let's not forget the indomitable Hurricane...

I had a humbling experience early on in my RAF career, during a short stay at RAF Lossiemouth. It was the annual Battle of Britain drinks party I think. I was fresh out of training, having a bevvy or 2 with a couple of mates, and we got talking to a couple of the 'few' who wanted to buy us a drink because we were the future (and we weren't anything special, except maybe Fat Bloke, but that's another story!)... needless to say their money wasn't welcome. Being drunk under the table by a 72 yr old spitfire pilot is an honourable way to go!

Cheers

Harry
Old Jul 14th 2010, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

These are cool tributes.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...itain_tribute/

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/maze-r...erPath=raiders
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Magnificent stuff. The Spitfire has to be the most beautiful machine ever built. Something about it just stirs the soul.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by orangemirror
Magnificent stuff. The Spitfire has to be the most beautiful machine ever built. Something about it just stirs the soul.
Yes.....there's something about the Spitfire which really got this TV Reporter excited, too. Listen to what he says as the Spitfire passes overhead;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSnEB...ext=1&index=23

Jim.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Try this for low fly-by's!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EprRB4MAZPU
Old Jul 15th 2010, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Yup - they may be french but they sure got balls & skill!

I'm betting that lorry driver (about 1:40 in to the sequence) wasn't expecting a Mirage jet to be coming down the road at him!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
I'm betting that lorry driver (about 1:40 in to the sequence) wasn't expecting a Mirage jet to be coming down the road at him!
Probably not! Back in the day I used to work as a civilian photographer for the MoD and got to fly in a variety of airplanes and helicopters. I remember "dive-bombing" the tankies in a Lynx out on the range

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.