British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   7 dead in Drive by shooting in CA seems one English kid who could not handle it. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/7-dead-drive-shooting-ca-seems-one-english-kid-who-could-not-handle-834748/)

robin1234 May 27th 2014 2:32 pm

Re: 7 dead in Drive by shooting in CA seems one English kid who could not handle it.

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11277567)
Excessive sense of entitlement is not new, I can think of many examples both historical and literary, Pride and Prejudice was on the TV, that is full of it.

Basically we are talking about pograms which are as old as human history.

It is certainly easier for minorities to contact each other now than in the past, whatever their particular interest is, BE for example.

I was more focused on his actions than his presentation.

But that's the whole point. You can't judge whether someone is insane by their actions! That is a circular argument; he must have been insane to kill several strangers, therefor he's insane.

Pride and Prejudice? If you are referring to Mr. Darcy, he WAS entitled. No inappropriate sense of entitlement there.

scrubbedexpat099 May 27th 2014 2:37 pm

Re: 7 dead in Drive by shooting in CA seems one English kid who could not handle it.

Really the whole premise, not just Darcy.

I was thinking of all his actions, loner, his flat mates wanting out, long history of mental issues etc etc.

Looking at his circumstances, money, family connections in the film industry etc, if he would have been half way normal he should have had no trouble attracting the ladies.

Pulaski May 27th 2014 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11277594)
But that's the whole point. You can't judge whether someone is insane by their actions! That is a circular argument; he must have been insane to kill several strangers, therefor he's insane. .....

I disagree, if running amok with guns, killing several strangers isn't indicative of insanity, I don't know what is. :unsure:

Granted, it is perfectly possible to be insane and not go on a homicidal rampage, but anyone who does (go on a homicidal rampage) is, in the vernacular sense, insane. .... Mental health professionals might have a different opinion, but for me, a homicidal rampage is a defining indicator of insanity!

scrubbedexpat099 May 27th 2014 3:04 pm

Sticking a knife into 3 different people takes some doing?

md95065 May 27th 2014 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11277594)
But that's the whole point. You can't judge whether someone is insane by their actions! That is a circular argument; he must have been insane to kill several strangers, therefor he's insane.

Of course we judge whether or not someone is insane based on their actions!
(where "actions" include what they say as well as what they do)

How else would we "judge" them? Since we can't just look into someone's mind an know what their mental state is, how else could we possibly evaluate their behavior other than by observing their actions? :confused:

Saying that someone who goes out and kills people in the way that this guy did is "insane" isn't a "circular argument" it is more of a definition.

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11277637)
I disagree, if running amok with guns, killing several strangers isn't indicative of insanity, I don't know what is. :unsure:

+1

RoadWarriorFromLP May 27th 2014 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 11277695)
Of course we judge whether or not someone is insane based on their actions!

Most people with mental disorders don't hurt anyone. Using actions as a basis for diagnosis will miss the vast majority of those who have an issue.

Insanity as a defense is used rarely in court, and most insanity defense cases fail. So as far as the justice system is concerned, very few criminal defendants are "insane." I'm willing to bet that an insanity defense for Rodger would have failed had he survived and been tried for his crimes.

This guy obviously had a mental disorder, but like most of those who have one, he was not to a point that he could have been involuntarily committed. Blaming crime on "crazy people" is ultimately a cop out; jailing guys who are unhappy about their sex lives would not be an effective way to address crime.

scrubbedexpat099 May 27th 2014 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP (Post 11277752)
jailing guys who are unhappy about their sex lives would not be an effective way to address crime.

Keep the Prisons full, very full.

Pulaski May 27th 2014 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP (Post 11277752)
.... Insanity as a defense is used rarely in court, and most insanity defense cases fail. .....

That would be because juries like to punish perpetrators and have them locked up for a long time, whereas "not guilty by reasons of insanity" gets them released, with a little "therapy" if you're lucky.

There ought to be a way to lock up the criminally insane for an extended period without dumping them into the prison system's general population. A secure treatment facility would be at least as good for society and certainly better than a mere prison sentence for the perpetrator.

robin1234 May 27th 2014 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 11277695)
How else would we "judge" them? Since we can't just look into someone's mind an know what their mental state is, how else could we possibly evaluate their behavior other than by observing their actions? :confused:

Clinical evaluation by a professional?

robin1234 May 27th 2014 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11277637)

Sorry, but I think this is too easy. Are you saying that a sane person couldn't run amok with guns and kill several strangers?

Uncle_Bob May 27th 2014 6:17 pm

People who want a gun will get a gun, just look at Derrik Bird.

I think America needs better mental health care. And I'm not just talking about drugs. Talk type therapy is proven to work, but typically health insurances do not cover mental health in such a way. My company provides mental/addictions coverage through a separate company, all they do is get you 5 sessions with a local therapist and that's it. After that you have to pay as you go and there is no follow up.

I think the ACA mandated that mental health coverage be covered by health insurance but I'm not sure exactly to what extent.

Pulaski May 27th 2014 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11277864)
Sorry, but I think this is too easy. Are you saying that a sane person couldn't run amok with guns and kill several strangers?

Could they? Yes, but would they? No.

Sane people value their life and liberty. If you run amok and kill several people you may be killed, executed, or locked up for life. IMHO if any of those appeal to you then you are not playing with a full deck. :nod:

scrubbedexpat091 May 27th 2014 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11277469)
Sorry to say this, but I think that man was as sane as you and me.

Most mentally ill folks are sane, insanity does not go along with all mental health issues, most mental health issues do not result in insanity.

This guy could very well be 100% sane, but suffer from who knows what kind of mental health issue, could be anything, but doesn't mean he was insane.

Sally Redux May 27th 2014 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11277864)

This seems to be the NRA line.

Pulaski May 27th 2014 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11277931)
Most mentally ill folks are sane, insanity does not go along with all mental health issues, most mental health issues do not result in insanity.

This guy could very well be 100% sane, but suffer from who knows what kind of mental health issue, could be anything, but doesn't mean he was insane.

Your post makes very little sense, but is typically of the woolly words and obfuscation uttered by the medical profession engaged in the area of mental health.