4 years in

Old May 23rd 2016, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute
Default 4 years in

4 years now since I left the UK behind and made the move over.
Seems to have worked out OK - cleaning weeds out of my pond at the weekend surrounded by fish and frogs, squirrels and chipmunks fighting over seeds and the newly bought Mini gleaming in the sun. Second car and John Deere lawnmower in the garage.

15 minute drive into work and not a 2 hour commute into London pressed up against commuters, spare money every month and a growing 401K

Mrs K misses the UK more than me - she's American so loved all the history and also loved being able to plant flowers that wouldn't be eaten by deer or killed by a Michigan winter.

Just hoping Trump doesn't get elected in November and focks everything up.

Old May 23rd 2016, 8:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 years in

Nice to hear it all working out so nicely
Old May 23rd 2016, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Looks and sounds idyllic - well done.
Old May 23rd 2016, 11:36 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant, looks like a nice spot you've got there! I do like the chipmunks, so long as they don't feel too at home at your place!
Old May 23rd 2016, 6:37 pm
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute

There's something discerning about ex pats whinging about Trump, imagine a forum of yanks calling Corbyn crap or criticizing the NHS, it's no different. The op's life sounds frightfully boring, though glad he's enjoying life in the Mid West. Hope he's been at the state fair there since he moved, the Michigan state fair is pretty cool. Wife and I live in Chicago and many of my in laws are from Michigan - some of whom grew up working for Kellogg's and in the car industry in Detroit so hear lots of stories about life in the Mid West back then. Grand Rapids gets lots of mentions
Old May 23rd 2016, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philk
4 years now since I left the UK behind and made the move over.
Seems to have worked out OK - cleaning weeds out of my pond at the weekend surrounded by fish and frogs, squirrels and chipmunks fighting over seeds and the newly bought Mini gleaming in the sun. Second car and John Deere lawnmower in the garage.

15 minute drive into work and not a 2 hour commute into London pressed up against commuters, spare money every month and a growing 401K

Mrs K misses the UK more than me - she's American so loved all the history and also loved being able to plant flowers that wouldn't be eaten by deer or killed by a Michigan winter.

Just hoping Trump doesn't get elected in November and focks everything up.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...be&oe=57CC65CB
Great looking place to live. Looks very similar to my five acres here in Tennessee. As to previously mentioned boring I would take rural settings anytime over large city cookie cutter burbs or even worse downtown high rises.
Now that is boring.
Old May 23rd 2016, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themadpooper
There's something discerning about ex pats whinging about Trump, imagine a forum of yanks calling Corbyn crap or criticizing the NHS, it's no different. The op's life sounds frightfully boring, though glad he's enjoying life in the Mid West. Hope he's been at the state fair there since he moved, the Michigan state fair is pretty cool. Wife and I live in Chicago and many of my in laws are from Michigan - some of whom grew up working for Kellogg's and in the car industry in Detroit so hear lots of stories about life in the Mid West back then. Grand Rapids gets lots of mentions
Why can't I moan abut Trump - what he might do will affect me, I'm going to be here the rest of my life and will be a citizen at some point

I got up this morning and fed a chipmunk from my hand - hardly a rock n roll lifestyle but given the crap I went through back in the UK I'll take it every day of the week.
But I might put some Ozzy on, turn the volume up to 7 and open the windows on the Mini on my way into work this morning. Now that's living on the wild side
Old May 24th 2016, 4:30 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ignore him. He still thinks that everyone needs to think and feel as he does.

Your life sounds idyllic. If you are happy where you are, and you appear to be, then well done, lad.

Take wifey on lots of European vacations
Old May 24th 2016, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

6 years for us in Michigan now. I love the summers but I need to find a job that will allow me to become a snowbird and go somewhere warmer for winter!
Old May 24th 2016, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NatashaB
6 years for us in Michigan now. I love the summers but I need to find a job that will allow me to become a snowbird and go somewhere warmer for winter!
Yeh, I am now an expert on snow tires and 'Lake Effect Snow' - the cold doesn't bother us as much as the grayness in February and March. Planning a week in the sun for March 2017
Old May 24th 2016, 12:08 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Place looks great and you have excellent taste in cars.
Old May 25th 2016, 1:47 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themadpooper
...imagine a forum of yanks calling Corbyn crap or criticizing the NHS
You mean the GOP?
Old May 25th 2016, 1:57 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh, I am now an expert on snow tires and 'Lake Effect Snow' - the cold doesn't bother us as much as the grayness in February and March. Planning a week in the sun for March 2017
The best thing about lake effect snow is that more of it falls on your side of the lake than mine

Nice place, though. Do you do much fishing in the lake?
Old May 25th 2016, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
The best thing about lake effect snow is that more of it falls on your side of the lake than mine

Nice place, though. Do you do much fishing in the lake?
We only have small fish - and 2 big snapping turtles!
I am thinking of stocking the pond this year with some bigger ones, not to fish but to watch ( and attract the kingfishers and herons)
Old May 25th 2016, 2:37 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

We only have small fish - and 2 big snapping turtles!
I am thinking of stocking the pond this year with some bigger ones, not to fish but to watch ( and attract the kingfishers and herons)
The snapping turtles will appreciate the bigger fish, I'm sure.

Does the water make the mosquitoes worse in the summer? We're about half a mile from the lake and they're a bloody nuisance in our yard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.