Wikiposts

2016 Election

Old May 1st 2015, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2016 Election

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Any attempt to compare US left/right politics to European left/right politics and apply the same labels is doomed to failure. For example the Democrats are about as left wing as the Tory party.
I have come up with an extension to my statement above.

Any attempt to compare the Republican and Democratic parties of today to those of any previous era and assume they are the same is also doomed to failure. They are not your daddy's parties so to speak.
Old May 1st 2015, 10:04 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Any attempt to compare the Republican and Democratic parties of today to those of any previous era and assume they are the same is also doomed to failure. They are not your daddy's parties so to speak.
It's disconcerting that you have to point out something that is so obvious.
Old May 1st 2015, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Meh. Lighten up, all I said was you were talking crap about East Germany. I won't claim resposibility for what others said of course, and I won't pretend I was paying that much attention to it either.

Water off a duck's back and all that.

This, I know and it is why I got a little excited when Sanders said he was running for nomination. He strikes me as someone who genuinely does want reform, who does want to replace the ACA with a sensible single-payer system, who wants to improve infrastructure and create jobs. Most importantly for me, he seems to be the only candidate thus far who will vocally criticize the 'billionaire class' that has had a stranglehold on US politics for years, holding the country back beyond belief.

I'd like Elizabeth Warren to put her name forward too, to be honest. What I want isn't necessarily President Sanders but for enough progressive voices to speak up so the Democratic mainstream takes notice.

"Nutter" Republicans refers to the current crop. Eisenhower was a fine president, who had many common sense ideas and policies and quite honestly I'd be happy to vote for someone like him. Nixon had his moments, too. Christ, even the Dubya looks sane compared to the likes of Paul Ryan, Rand Paul and Ted Cruz
Thanks, Sultan. Actually, another poster's translation of FlaviusAetius was off by a country mile. I believe the proper translation is "Flavius fell on his arse," but perhaps I'm wrong, because Flavius was actually stabbed in the back and assassinated by Valentinian III, that worthless little sh$t of an Emperor whose arse he actually did save. The soldiers settled that score a short while later.

I'm hoping that that crude poseur, C. Clinton, falls on her arse and that Elizabeth Warren goes on to win the nomination. Maybe then my fans here will be forced to slide the Democrat Party back slightly left of the Tories, if not also Labour. Fat chance of that happening.

Sorry about mentioning the DDR. It's a fixation of mine. When I was in Army Intel in Germany back in the '60s I spent more than two years studying everything known about the DDR organs of state security and their relationship with and funding of two West German organizations: the Easter March of Atomic Weapons Opponents and the German Peace Union. At that time the DDR was no laughing matter.

Last edited by FlaviusAetius; May 1st 2015 at 2:38 pm.
Old May 1st 2015, 2:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

At the rate its going, may just write in a name on the ballot. I don't think I can vote for Clinton.
Old May 1st 2015, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

I have come up with an extension to my statement above.

Of course not. The Democratic Party in the 1940s staunchly supported segregation and founded that organization known as HUAC, the House Unamerican Activities Committee, whose brief was to track down Commies and expose them for what they were, i.e. Commies. It built up the military, balanced the budget, lowered taxes (JFK), grew the economy (JFK) got us into the Korean "Police Action" (the Norks helped) and the Vietnam War (LBJ did that on his own).

Times change. Daddy, hell, JFK, wouldn't recognize today's Democrat Party.
Old May 4th 2015, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Carly Fiorina - ruined HP, probably attack dog to go after Clinton without being called sexist.

Ben Carson - known idiot, opens mouth and inserts foot on regular basis.
Old May 4th 2015, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Carly Fiorina - ruined HP, probably attack dog to go after Clinton without being called sexist.

Ben Carson - known idiot, opens mouth and inserts foot on regular basis.
Should be a walk in the park then. That comment about Ms. Fiorina, not sexist? A comment like that would work for Hillary. See, it only runs in one direction. [Explanation: If you point out that Fiorina ruined HP and call her an "attack dog," that's not sexist. If you say Hillary screwed up Benghazi and its aftermath, and the Russian reset, etc, etc., that's sexist.] Just saying. Call it "Democrat Privilege" similar to "White Privilege."

Last edited by FlaviusAetius; May 4th 2015 at 7:21 am.
Old May 4th 2015, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
Should be a walk in the park then. That comment about Ms. Fiorina, not sexist? A comment like that would work for Hillary. See, it only runs in one direction. [Explanation: If you point out that Fiorina ruined HP and call her an "attack dog," that's not sexist. If you say Hillary screwed up Benghazi and its aftermath, and the Russian reset, etc, etc., that's sexist.] Just saying. Call it "Democrat Privilege" similar to "White Privilege."
Should have clarified. What I wrote was a summary of what I was seeing as the general opinion of political commentary.

Could it be seen as sexist? Perhaps, but I don't think she is seen as a realistic candidate.
Old May 4th 2015, 9:27 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Should have clarified. What I wrote was a summary of what I was seeing as the general opinion of political commentary.

Could it be seen as sexist? Perhaps, but I don't think she is seen as a realistic candidate.
A few commentators are speculating that she's doing it for publicity for a forthcoming book.

The only other time she ran was for a California Senate seat five years ago and she lost that. At least the other republican candidates managed to get elected to something! (Even if they do have the odd screw loose).
Old May 4th 2015, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

I agree. Best case for her is the VP (Sarah Palin) slot where she is sicc'd on Hillary, like an attack dog.
Old May 4th 2015, 7:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
A few commentators are speculating that she's doing it for publicity for a forthcoming book.

The only other time she ran was for a California Senate seat five years ago and she lost that. At least the other republican candidates managed to get elected to something! (Even if they do have the odd screw loose).
She should probably have run for senate in a state she had a chance winning in.

Republican + incumbent democrat senators = no a good chance. Especially against Boxer.

Feinstein and Boxer have been unbeatable during their terms.

If Fiorina had been serious, she should have run for a state office, better chance at election to the state assembly or senate if she could find a republican friendly region to run in.
Old May 5th 2015, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Huckabee, again.
Old May 5th 2015, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

My guess is that the field narrows to Jeb, Scott, Marco and Ted. Two governors, two senators. VP slot to either Ben Carson or Fiorina. On the other side, Hillary and maybe O'Malley or Webb in the VP slot. I don't think she'd risk Sanders.

Odds that the Republicans win the Presidency - slightly better than even- and the Senate no better than even money. If they don't hold the Senate, nothing will get done with Chuckie in charge. We'd do better with a parliamentary system.
Old May 5th 2015, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I like how everyone announces ahead of time that they are going to announce their run for presidency. I guess that announcing your announcement doesn't count.
Old May 5th 2015, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Anian
I like how everyone announces ahead of time that they are going to announce their run for presidency. I guess that announcing your announcement doesn't count.
Heard something interesting about that on npr this morning. A lot of it has to do with fund raising rules. Take Jeb for example. He hasn't announced yet but everyone expects him to eventually. Meanwhile because he is not a candidate, the rules don't apply and he can do direct fund raising (of which he is doing rather well at by all accounts) and coordinating with his super PAC. As soon as he announces, he must be completely hands off with the PAC and all the disclosure rules come into play too. The pre-announcement is like a last rallying call to make donations before disclosure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.