17 Year Cicadas

Old Jan 26th 2021, 2:21 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default 17 Year Cicadas

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rge-eastern-us

So... I haven't been here for 17 years (8 this year) so have never seen or heard them in the flesh.

For my fellow BE East Coasters that have seen or heard of these little blighters, are they really as loud and obnoxious as the article mentions?
Old Jan 26th 2021, 2:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 17 Year Cicadas

The year we moved to NJ (1996) there was an outbreak of the 17 year cicadas. We didn’t see them in our area, but people nearby by said every outdoor surface was covered in dead cicadas. Apparently dogs loved to eat the ones littering the ground.

We used to get them every summer, but not in huge numbers. Yes they are very loud. In ‘96 people said the noise outside sounded like heavy construction machines outside their windows.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 27th 2021 at 11:47 am. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 26th 2021, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard them but wasn't aware of the 17-year cycle. I thought they happened every year.

I have seen them very infrequently.

They are loud. I remember driving down a tree-lined road with the windows down and it was a continuous racket. There were probably thousands of them in the trees.
Old Jan 26th 2021, 3:31 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rge-eastern-us

So... I haven't been here for 17 years (8 this year) so have never seen or heard them in the flesh.

For my fellow BE East Coasters that have seen or heard of these little blighters, are they really as loud and obnoxious as the article mentions?
They are absolutely not obnoxious - unless you dislike insects. I remember we were on Cape Cod at the time of the last manifestation, probably 2004 as suggested by this article. In places where they were emerging from the ground and metamorphosing it was really spectacular. Every tree trunk was covered with the empty larval cases, and the adults were flying about everywhere. I’m glad to see them myself, it’s a sign that natural life still has at least a toehold in a human dominated world.

Old Jan 26th 2021, 3:34 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I have heard them but wasn't aware of the 17-year cycle. I thought they happened every year.

I have seen them very infrequently.

They are loud. I remember driving down a tree-lined road with the windows down and it was a continuous racket. There were probably thousands of them in the trees.
Yes - there are always some, I believe because there are various different species, some with much shorter life cycles, and also because there are different populations of the 17year one that might be on different year-cycles for various historical reasons.
Old Jan 26th 2021, 3:38 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yes - there are always some, I believe because there are various different species, some with much shorter life cycles, and also because there are different populations of the 17year one that might be on different year-cycles for various historical reasons.
You are correct with the differing lifecycles point, Wikipedia has a good article on them with the locations of different pods, and their expecting hatching dates. It seems that some hatch most years.
Old Jan 26th 2021, 3:44 pm
Heading for Poppyland

One thing about cicadas is that they are good to eat. They are big enough, and plentiful enough, to make it worthwhile.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-pause/276096/
Old Jan 26th 2021, 6:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Never encountered the 17 year variety, but California areas have them every year, they can get a little loud, but its not really annoying or obnoxious, California has something like 65 species of them.

California's variety come out annually and in smaller numbers though.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely the sound of the summer in North Carolina. To be honest there is something soothing in the sound.
Old Jan 27th 2021, 11:46 am
Often not so civil...

Of course I've heard the regular variety here in GA every summer, but the article kind of implies that they are 'next level' loud.

I guess we can report back after they have arrived and see what it's all about
Old Jan 27th 2021, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I was (and still am) in NC in 2004 and don't really remember them being that bad. Certainly more of them but not really any loader.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 2:12 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I remember the 17-year guys.

Red eyes. Noisy, like all cicadas. Harmless.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 11:46 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The year we moved to NJ (1996) there was an outbreak of the 17 year cicadas. We didn’t see them in our area, but people nearby by said every outdoor surface was covered in dead cicadas. Apparently dogs loved to eat the ones littering the ground.
We had a 17 year brood come through Illinois about 10 years ago.
- everything was covered in cicada carapaces and dead cicadas
- my dog had the greatest two weeks of his life
- a cicada flew into my mouth while I was running. They are large.

That's about it. It's not some sort of biblical terror. Annual outbreaks of love bugs in Florida are far worse.
Old Jan 28th 2021, 12:02 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently they've been around for 1.8 million years. They look it, too.

https://patch.com/illinois/across-il...-illinois-2021
Old Jan 29th 2021, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding the sound ... I love that 'chirping sound' you get on warm summer evenings with the windows open. But ... am I mixing up cicadas and crickets?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.