Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

10 Things Most Americans Don’t Know About America

10 Things Most Americans Don’t Know About America

Old Jul 4th 2013, 7:41 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10 Things Most Americans Don’t Know About America

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP

(What is it with Brits and Florida, anyway?)
I was in Yorkshire last week with my USC husband. We were in a small gift/candle shop, and the owner struck up a conversation with my hubby. He was a man of about age 60 to 62. He and his wife have been to Florida, mostly the Orlando area, approximately 21 times on holiday, sometimes coming twice in one year. We asked where else they had been in the US - nowhere! Not interested, it has to be Florida.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 1:34 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
I was in Yorkshire last week with my USC husband. We were in a small gift/candle shop, and the owner struck up a conversation with my hubby. He was a man of about age 60 to 62. He and his wife have been to Florida, mostly the Orlando area, approximately 21 times on holiday, sometimes coming twice in one year. We asked where else they had been in the US - nowhere! Not interested, it has to be Florida.
Which I guess it is fine for them, BUT for me that would be like only going to London when I went to the UK. There's so many other interesting places to see there, and here too!
Old Jul 5th 2013, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Which I guess it is fine for them, BUT for me that would be like only going to London when I went to the UK. There's so many other interesting places to see there, and here too!
Actually it would be more like going to Delaware every year.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 12:21 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

We missed our Delta flight in ATL because of severe weather. We were shuttled off to Orlando to fly on Virgin, who are now partnered with Delta We had to get out of the secure area to go and check that our luggage was following us around. When we came back through passport control we were in a crowd of about 500 Brits waiting to get on two Virgin flights, one to London and one to Manchester.

When hubby showed his passport, the officer looked up surprised. Gosh, you were born in Florida? Hubby is in mid 60s. Officer says, we don't see many people coming through here that were born in Florida! Hubby's family have lived in FL since the mid 1800s, when they bought a small farm in north FL. Seemed surreal that a native Floridian in his 60s would be an oddity in Orlando airport!
Old Jul 5th 2013, 2:17 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sile
Lovely.
Yes I am. Thank you for noticing.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 2:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
I presume he finally got bored with going to Scarborough every year.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 2:57 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
How could anyone get bored of Scarborough? Maybe Whitby for a change.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 3:20 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
How could anyone get bored of Scarborough? Maybe Whitby for a change.
Fish n chips at the Magpie and a pair of kippers to take home for supper. Cracking!
Old Jul 5th 2013, 3:25 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
We used to have a week in Scarborough every year when we were kids. It seemed to take ages to get there...was all of 40 miles away and my cousin always got travel sick at the petrol station at the top of the bank on the way into Whitby. Then she had to eat a barley sugar sweet to take away the taste Highlight of the week was the Battle re-enactment in Peasholm park followed by doing the treewalk with all the lights and statues in the middle of the lake....Used to love the big green watersplash ride too......Oh how times change....
Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:15 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Absolutely. It would seem pointless to just visit one state if you're able to have a couple of weeks over here twice a year. So many things to see in the US, so why just Disney and the beaches? I suspect that it has a lot to do with the Brit obsession with having some sun when you go away on holiday. Florida is cheap to visit, sunshine is almost guaranteed for a few hours a day, and there are a lot of places avaliable to rent. Let's face it, a week in the rain at Margate or Blackpool, isn't quite so attractive nowdays.
I know plenty of people that have been over to do a road trip though.
Different strokes for different folks.
I find Northern Georgia to be a very beautiful area, with great fishing . and TN, NC and Virginia are lovely, and the history in VA around Williamsburg and Georgetown are something that anyone could enjoy. I like the states around New England, and upstate NY is beautiful too.
My neighbour went up to the Dakota's last summer, and said he was almost ready to sell his house and move there.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:17 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Why anyone would go to Florida of their own free will, when they could go to Scarborough or Whitby, is a mystery to me. I used to go to Florida every year for family reasons.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 8:00 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Why anyone would go to Florida of their own free will, when they could go to Scarborough or Whitby, is a mystery to me. I used to go to Florida every year for family reasons.
I must be missing out, I've never been to Whitby.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 8:23 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
You're not.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 10:10 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
The man who is tired of Whitby is tired of life.

I must admit I've been there just once. Fish tea at the Magpie, as someone mentioned in an earlier post, visit the abbey, try to visit St. Mary's Church, nice beach, brilliant pubs, general nice town. I was there for Goth Weekend too, probably Goth Weekend in Florida would be a pale shadow...
Old Jul 6th 2013, 12:48 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I will be visiting Whitby within the next month. I don't even like fish, but I'm looking forward to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.