Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

1 week in......Mad or what ?

1 week in......Mad or what ?

Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

wisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud of
Default 1 week in......Mad or what ?

Just a quick update for anyone who is interested (or not and just nosey) We have now been here in very sunny Orlando for just over 1 week and what a mad week it has been. Have managed to do loads of shopping for electrical items whaich is a great lesson in life. Main problem with this is trying to remember you are buying with dollars and not to keep thinking WOW how cheap ! After 7 nights here and 10 nights at home, I GIVE UP the airbed has to go and we bought twin beds for the spare room and are now looking forward to a better nights sleep. Why oh Why do they have to have different size pillows, costly mistake number 1. This also meant I had to have even more trips out shopping (this is no hardship for me) Have now managed to buy a car having been bored stiff in several car dealers, advice for those who have not done this yet.... send the OH it comes to a point where as long as it had 4 wheels and moves back and forward I could not have cared less what is was. what a waste of valuable time. We went today and found the most helpful woman at the driving test centre the officious one on the desk told OH he could not take test without having his SS card with him, she ignored this and then put both of us through for both test we were both tested, passed and out of there within 1 hr, a fantastic result. We can now pick up car tommorrow.
Now if I can just secure the job I have a 2nd interview for tomorrow it will have been a succesfull few days.

Insurance is another story however and Thursdays job is to go sit in a brokers office untill they find me insurance, hopefully by then I will know if I have the job.

I now feel like I am in need of a holiday, going to try and take the weekend to relax, unwind and take a look at something more than household essential stuff.

Have a good Easter All
Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1 week in......Mad or what ?

Sounds like a fun week!

Should be fun in Orlando for you... Little Britain... you won't get lonely for company down there.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

wisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Sounds like a fun week!

Should be fun in Orlando for you... Little Britain... you won't get lonely for company down there.
Nice as it is to hear a british accent and I have to say untill the manager who was british came along at the car show room it was just awful, I am going to try my hardest to make sure we meet with and hopefully get to know more local (as local as they get here!) people. I could have stayed in the UK if all I wanted was british people. That said typically the 1st people we have met and spoke to were neighbours from the south of England.

any thoughts on this, came home last night to find 6 large oranges on my doorstep..... no note no clues.....help
Old Mar 19th 2008, 3:04 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wisewol
Nice as it is to hear a british accent and I have to say untill the manager who was british came along at the car show room it was just awful, I am going to try my hardest to make sure we meet with and hopefully get to know more local (as local as they get here!) people. I could have stayed in the UK if all I wanted was british people. That said typically the 1st people we have met and spoke to were neighbours from the south of England.

any thoughts on this, came home last night to find 6 large oranges on my doorstep..... no note no clues.....help

My method:
1) Get a sharp knife and cut the orange in wedge shaped quarters. 2) Remove any seeds, they should be in about the middle of each quarter. 3)Grab a quarter by the ends and eat like a tiny slice of watermelon, discarding the peel when finished. 4) Clean juice and pulp out of beard.

Welcome to the US!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to try my hardest to make sure we meet with and hopefully get to know more local (as local as they get here!) people. I could have stayed in the UK if all I wanted was british people.
I was being sarcastic So many English emigrate to Florida that it is like a little britain! As you have said in one week you have already met at least 2 English people. I think I was here almost 2 years before I met anyone from England... (real nice lady from Leeds).
Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
My method:
1) Get a sharp knife and cut the orange in wedge shaped quarters. 2) Remove any seeds, they should be in about the middle of each quarter. 3)Grab a quarter by the ends and eat like a tiny slice of watermelon, discarding the peel when finished. 4) Clean juice and pulp out of beard.

Welcome to the US!
I'd be wary... I have been to Orlando a lot of times and have yet to have a decent orange... what is with that? do they ship out the good ones to other states?

I also refuse to buy clementines grown in Cali... I will only buy the spanish imports.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 4:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The only time I went to the dealer was to pay and pick up, did the deal over the web, which seems common here.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:20 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I've given on the auto showroom as well. My truck was bought from my bank's 'car buying service' which cost $200 but saved probably $1000 over what I was quoted. I told them what I wanted, color, package and they called back in a few days asking me where they should deliver it.

More recently I got a 'private auto dealer' who purchases used cars at the dealer auctions and passes them on to individual buyers. Got a pretty good deal on that car (it was certified pre owned and still under warranty so that was nice).

I just hate the showroom floor, though my wife (who grew up haggling for everything in the markets) doesn't mind harassing them.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I'd be wary... I have been to Orlando a lot of times and have yet to have a decent orange... what is with that? do they ship out the good ones to other states?
The best oranges for eating are grown in California. The vast majority of Florida's oranges are used for juice.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:34 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

You know when youv'e been Tango'd !!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 6:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

J
Now if I can just secure the job I have a 2nd interview for tomorrow it will have been a succesfull few days.
Good gods, woman, you've been a whirlwind!

Slow down, you're making the rest of us re-pats look bad!

Glad to see that everything's going so well for you.. Welcome Home!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

I need to rest after reading that. Agree on the oranges CA ones are best, have some in the house now.

Hope the fun continues.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:15 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Main problem with this is trying to remember you are buying with dollars and not to keep thinking WOW how cheap !
Yeah it took me about a year to stop doing that!

congrats on being so productive!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bevinva
Agree on the oranges CA ones are best
Not the clementines. I bought 3 different boxes and all had really bad ones in there... at $6 a box I refuse to buy them now... I look for the spanish imports.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 8:58 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick update for anyone who is interested (or not and just nosey) We have now been here in very sunny Orlando for just over 1 week and what a mad week it has been. Have managed to do loads of shopping for electrical items whaich is a great lesson in life. Main problem with this is trying to remember you are buying with dollars and not to keep thinking WOW how cheap ! After 7 nights here and 10 nights at home, I GIVE UP the airbed has to go and we bought twin beds for the spare room and are now looking forward to a better nights sleep. Why oh Why do they have to have different size pillows, costly mistake number 1. This also meant I had to have even more trips out shopping (this is no hardship for me) Have now managed to buy a car having been bored stiff in several car dealers, advice for those who have not done this yet.... send the OH it comes to a point where as long as it had 4 wheels and moves back and forward I could not have cared less what is was. what a waste of valuable time. We went today and found the most helpful woman at the driving test centre the officious one on the desk told OH he could not take test without having his SS card with him, she ignored this and then put both of us through for both test we were both tested, passed and out of there within 1 hr, a fantastic result. We can now pick up car tommorrow.

Insurance is another story however and Thursdays job is to go sit in a brokers office untill they find me insurance, hopefully by then I will know if I have the job.

I now feel like I am in need of a holiday, going to try and take the weekend to relax, unwind and take a look at something more than household essential stuff.

Have a good Easter All
what an adventure! You achieved FAR more than I did in my first week in America. Keep us posted!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.