Working in Thailand

Old Mar 10th 2018, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

mittypaul is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in Thailand

Does anyone have advice around visa rules for working remotely but from Bangkok say? Most of my work is managed through skype meetings and conference calls and my employer is a US software company. So i want to move to Thailand, and work for a year with occasional travel back to the UK and Europe for meetings etc....its normal in the software industry to work remotely - so I want to work in Thailand but not do any business there, just work from there - any advice on how I go abaout this....
Many thanks...
Old Mar 12th 2018, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Thailand

Originally Posted by mittypaul
Does anyone have advice around visa rules for working remotely but from Bangkok say? Most of my work is managed through skype meetings and conference calls and my employer is a US software company. So i want to move to Thailand, and work for a year with occasional travel back to the UK and Europe for meetings etc....its normal in the software industry to work remotely - so I want to work in Thailand but not do any business there, just work from there - any advice on how I go abaout this....
Many thanks...
If you are under 50 look at Thailand Elite visa. This is your only option. Or marry a Thai?
You can also post on Thaivisa.com. There you may get more advise to your question.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 5:59 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Thailand elite visa is one option.

You could also try to apply for a one year multi entry non-immigrant O visa.

It's a bit hit and miss in the UK where they will issue it if you have no ties to Thailand, BUT generally speaking Hull has/had a reputation as a soft touch. Whether this is still the case I don't know. Google is your friend.

Anyway, this visa gives you as many entries as you like in one year. 90 days on arrival, extendable for another 60 in country at your local immigration office. After the 60 days is up do a daytrip to Cambodia. Come back to start a new 90 days, and repeat.

You can actually get 17 months out of the visa even though it's only valid for one year. Do a Cambodia trip on the last day of the visa validity and you still get 90 days, which is still extendable for another 60.

Do some research on where in the UK you can get it.

Or sign up to a Thai language program for a year and get the education visa.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Thailand elite visa is one option.

It's a bit hit and miss in the UK where they will issue it if you have no ties to Thailand, BUT generally speaking Hull has/had a reputation as a soft touch. Whether this is still the case I don't know. Google is your friend.

Anyway, this visa gives you as many entries as you like in one year. 90 days on arrival, extendable for another 60 in country at your local immigration office. After the 60 days is up do a daytrip to Cambodia. Come back to start a new 90 days, and repeat.

You can actually get 17 months out of the visa even though it's only valid for one year. Do a Cambodia trip on the last day of the visa validity and you still get 90 days, which is still extendable for another 60.

Do some research on where in the UK you can get it.

Or sign up to a Thai language program for a year and get the education visa.
For non-0 you need to be 50 or over.
All longstay visa will be issued by Thai Embassy in London. Hull consulate only acts as postman.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 8:12 am
Banned

Mathieularoche is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get there first with a non-immigrant Visa. It's a single-entry 90-days VISA, that enables you to open a Thai bank account and apply for work permit there.

That's the best option.

If not, you can also do like other expats in here.... Apply for a tourist Visa (60days), extend one month (3 months in total), travel out of the country (visa run) and go back to Bangkok every 3 months... Especially if you are working remotely, risks are low. Up to you to decide !

cheers
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mathieularoche
You can get there first with a non-immigrant Visa. It's a single-entry 90-days VISA, that enables you to open a Thai bank account and apply for work permit there.

That's the best option.

If not, you can also do like other expats in here.... Apply for a tourist Visa (60days), extend one month (3 months in total), travel out of the country (visa run) and go back to Bangkok every 3 months... Especially if you are working remotely, risks are low. Up to you to decide !

cheers
You can travel in/iut of the coubtry until you get no more tourist visa or get stopped by immigration. How do you explain why you travel in/out as tourist and what do you live on? Good luck. I wouldn't go this way.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 9:20 am
Banned

I wouldn't go this way either, but I swear I've met so many people here living in Thailand for quite a LONG time, and still going this way...
Old Mar 26th 2018, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mathieularoche
I wouldn't go this way either, but I swear I've met so many people here living in Thailand for quite a LONG time, and still going this way...
Then don't advise what is illegal. Get caught and you have problems you may not be able to deal with.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Invisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi

It's a bit hit and miss in the UK where they will issue it if you have no ties to Thailand, BUT generally speaking Hull has/had a reputation as a soft touch. Whether this is still the case I don't know.
Hull no longer issue multiple entry non-immigrant O visas, also all non-immigrant visas issued by Hull are now only issued after the Thai Embassy in London says they can issue the visa, Hull will now scan all non-immigrant visa applications to the Embassy for approval.

It's not like it used to be.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Invisible
Hull no longer issue multiple entry non-immigrant O visas, also all non-immigrant visas issued by Hull are now only issued after the Thai Embassy in London says they can issue the visa, Hull will now scan all non-immigrant visa applications to the Embassy for approval.

It's not like it used to be.
Most honorary Thai consulates no longer will issue Non-imm O visas. Some issue single entry ones. This is all over Europe. Some will only issue a visa if you are either resident (you need to show proof) or citizen of country where you apply. At least this was the rule last year.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 7:21 am
Banned

The OP was talking about 1 year in Thailand though... There is no effective rules about the number of tourist visa you can "accumulate". 2 times 2+1 is totally fine ! No doubt about it, but you can easily do 2 times more the same VISA, just need to go to a different embassy/consulate... Mix it up and you'll be fine.

Well, let's say that's not the legal way to do things, but I'm not here to judge, just to provide information lol
Old Apr 5th 2018, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Khao Yai is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
For non-0 you need to be 50 or over.
Not quite - you only need to be over 50 if you are applying on retirement grounds.