Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

transferring cash to Tailand

transferring cash to Tailand

Old Feb 17th 2012, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

larryX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default transferring cash to Tailand

I have a friend in Spain who has just sold his studio. He will get a euro bank draft in a couple of weeks.

He intends to buy a property in Patayya

He is anticipating opening a bank account there and then paying in the bank draft.

Any advice about how he might achieve his purpose and how he might do that most efficiently, also advice on pitfalls to be avoided, etc. would be very welcome..

Thank you
Larryx
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Nabbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: transferring cash to Tailand

Originally Posted by larryX
I have a friend in Spain who has just sold his studio. He will get a euro bank draft in a couple of weeks.

He is anticipating opening a bank account there and then paying in the bank draft.

Larryx

See: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...t-in-thailand/

In order to get the approval of bank account, the decision will depend on the individual bank manager - non-tourist passport, work permit, residence proof, ...and even possibly marriage certificate are the ones you need to show.

This above is based on my experience.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all

I understand that when transferring money from overseas to buy property in Thailand that you have to clearly state that this is what the transfer is for.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 7:55 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yup that's how it always was in the past. And make sure you keep ALL the paperwork. If you ever need to sell the property and take the money OUT of Thailand again, you will need that paperwork.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

More and more I can see the reasons some say "live in Malaysia, party in Thailand" I pondered Thailand long and hard before choosing. I think I have a more 'comfortable' feeling about arrangements here.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 9:59 am
Just Joined

oswaldcassidy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a friend in Spain who has just sold his

studio. He will get a euro bank draft in a couple of weeks.

Any advice about how he might achieve his purpose and how he might do that most efficiently, also advice on pitfalls to be avoided, etc. would be very welcome..

Thank you
Larryx
Hi Larry

Tell your friend not to bring in cash as he is more likely to lose it. If he has not opened up an account in Thailand I would suggest he converts all his money that he need into travellers cheques as you get a better rate than cash. When I left the UK I went to my bank and asked for £100 cheques as it costs 30 baht to cash in 1 cheque ( about 70/75 pence ) I purchased £10,000 with no problems as the money was sitting in my UK account. once I arrived in Thailand I then opened up a savings account and now transfer monies over when as required by internet banking, you will always get a better exchange rate if you change your money in Thailand my son in law to be came out last year but did not take my advise went to a UK travel agent to change his money and ended up over £100 worse off. hope this helps.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 10:10 am
Just Joined

oswaldcassidy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you
Larryx
Larry

Tell your friend to rent a property and not dive in the deep end there are good parts of Pattaya and also many bad parts . I have lived in Thailand for 6 years and rented for the first 4 years and once I decided that I had found the right place I purchased my property. Anything over $20,000 US or equivelant you can get a form from your bank which will allow you to repatriate the funds your sent over if you ever sell the property, however you must transfer monies from bank to bank it is no good walking in with a case full of dosh.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 7:31 am
Just Joined

abalaois is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Larry.

As we all know that it basically depends on the value of the property he's acquiring for, just as long as he complies all the pertinent guidelines as to why he has the right to use or possess any properties in a foreign place.

Arrangements between your his preferred local Thai bank and the bank of from country will be a big deal to practice as well.

Good luck.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 8:43 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nabbie
See: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...t-in-thailand/

In order to get the approval of bank account, the decision will depend on the individual bank manager - non-tourist passport, work permit, residence proof, ...and even possibly marriage certificate are the ones you need to show.

This above is based on my experience.
lot of variation about opening a bank account, what you need could vary from bank to bank and place to place. Banks are usually quite happy to take your money though.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
lot of variation about opening a bank account, what you need could vary from bank to bank and place to place. Banks are usually quite happy to take your money though.
It can even vary from branch to branch of the same bank.

I am going to Thailand in June so if anyone needs any money transferred there I could take it for them.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 2:18 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

wow that is really nice of you
Old Apr 17th 2012, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

I know, I'm a really nice guy.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 3:05 am
Just Joined

rjay is just really nicerjay is just really nicerjay is just really nicerjay is just really nicerjay is just really nicerjay is just really nicerjay is just really nicerjay is just really nice

I've been here in Thailand for 13 years. My advice:-

Rent don't buy.
Do anything slowly and carefully.
Don't bring anything into Thailand that you aren't prepared to lose/say goodbye to.

If you bring money into Thailand, have it sent by your home country bank in that currency to your Thai bank, and then exchanged into Thai baht by the Thai bank (better exchange rate).

If it's a large amount for house or condo purchase, ensure you get the Thai bank to provide you with a certificate (I forget the name and number of it), but it certifies that the money was brought in legally and then if you ever did want to take it back out, you can do so legally. If you bring it in by TQ's or in cash, you won't be able to take it back out legally.