Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

TEFEL course in Thailand

TEFEL course in Thailand

Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Collie11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TEFEL course in Thailand

Hi there, I've just arrived back from a year in Australia and 6 weeks in Thailan. I really enjoyed my time in Thailand and was briefly speaking to a scottish guy in Phuket. He was teaching english there and seemed to be really happy doing it. It got me thinking about doing it myself, I've done a little research and was wondering if anybody on here knew of work opportunities, wages etc or any info that might help me make a better informed decision rather than a knee jerk one to being back in the wind and rain!

Any advice would be welcomed!

Collie
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:32 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TEFEL course in Thailand

The english teachers I knew in Bangkok were all there illegally and earned next to bugger all.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The english teachers I knew in Bangkok were all there illegally and earned next to bugger all.
I wouldn't be doing it illegally, I left Oz as my visa was up and wasn't going to stay on in case I ever wanted to come back. Seen too mnay mates looking over their shoulders in the US and Oz to make it worthwhile. I'd rather keep my job back here and holiday in Thailand than live on the breadline there!
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:42 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Collie11
I wouldn't be doing it illegally, I left Oz as my visa was up and wasn't going to stay on in case I ever wanted to come back. Seen too mnay mates looking over their shoulders in the US and Oz to make it worthwhile. I'd rather keep my job back here and holiday in Thailand than live on the breadline there!
As much as it pains me to advise this you might want to ask this question on thaivisa.com. The thailand section of BE only gets a few posts a week and whilst I've no idea how many of those are from people teaching english, I bet it's actually none of them.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

No worries mate, thanks for the tip anyway! Cheers!
Old Nov 24th 2011, 6:58 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Alan. Think you'll probably get more specific info on there, especially as our resident Concierge, Nonthaburi, is still battling with the floodwaters I believe.

FWIW I had a newsfeed the other day... I cannot remember which newspaper it was. It must have been either Phuket Gazette or Phuket Wan, and they were apparently crying out for English teachers in Phuket.

You might also like to look at both of these papers' websites and do a search. It was only about a week ago I think, so should be current.

All the best.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply, I'll take both your advice and try my luck on there. I'm actually only back ni the UK 2 days now, I spent 4 weeks in Phuket and that would be my preferred destination. Much appreciated! :sunglasses:
Old Nov 26th 2011, 1:20 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Collie, I've found that article. Boy, this sounds right up your street. It was in the Phuket Gazette last week. It's basically saying that the shortage of English teachers in Phuket is at crisis level. It also gives a good link to the Phuket Primary Educational Service Office. Don't think you'll get rich teaching English in Phuket, but you probably already know that.

Anyway you can read the full article here

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archive...icle11454.html
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 4:20 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking for a year out doing something different then why not but you won't be making much money ( 30,000 + a month ) but in a nice place depending on your lifestyle that should be enough to live on. If you want to do it for longer, get better qualifications and more experience then there are far better paying jobs in BKK at good schools. Many people think that teachers are all illegal living on the breadline and some are, possibly more to do with lifestlye and lack of qualifications though.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Many people think that teachers are all illegal living on the breadline and some are, possibly more to do with lifestlye and lack of qualifications though.
The ones I knew where not teachers in international schools. That's a respectable job. No, I knew people teaching TEFL privately for cash; they were your typical farang kii nok who didn't want to go home. Some even kidded themselves that teaching like this was somehow like being in dead poets society.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Hi all, thanks for your replies on the subject. I'm actually a social worker, though I would struggle to find a paid position being unable to speak Thai. I've decided to come back out in January and do some voluntary work in an orphanage in Pang Nga. I'll have a better idea then if I could live and work in Thailand, even if it were only to be for a few years. I would prefer to teach in a reputable postion rather than fool myself like some of whom you mentioned Alan!

We'll see how things work out but thanks again for your opinions and advice!
Old Dec 8th 2011, 1:02 am

Do let us know how you get on, won't you? Phang Nga is a nice place.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

If you're interested in hearing about my experiences then I would have no problem sharing them!!!