This stupid law buying alcohol before 5pm

Old Nov 18th 2011, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

ztoo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: This stupid law buying alcohol before 5pm

Originally Posted by Bodenis
Greetings
Out of curiosity, how much would a botle of wine cost in bht
and most important for me....a bottle of scotch.
I will have a layover in Tokyo for a few hours
I might buy my scotch at one of the duty free shops at the airport.
TKS
PS: bakedbean, if you're around Pattaya we could share a pint.
Cheapest plonk starts around 300 Baht, i never think it's worth carry those duty free bottles throughout my journey just to save $2 as they maybe duty free but they are not profit free and i didn't seem to save very much.
Ciggies might be different but i'm not a puffer.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

nomad4u is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeh an old Thread,but to enlarge on all this confusion,a 750 mill bottle of 100 pipers scotch is approx US$10 bottle in Bangkok.You can also buy the 1 litre bottle.
I usually shop at 7/11 for convenience,but I will start hunting around the local shops to get a better price.
Here on Okker land where I unfortunatly reside,the price we wankers[stupid aussies] now have to pay almost US$30 for a 700 mill bottle of 100 Pipers.
But thats typical Australian,evereything is inflated.
Even the bitches asses.
Oh,and my belly!!!!! Ha!!!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ztoo
After 5.pm it's normal and you buy whatever you want....
Although only until midnight, after which you can't buy again until I think 11am!!!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 2:26 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Worth remembering if there's a few of you but if you buy over 10 litres you can buy between 2-5pm . It's a law to enable shop owners to stock up . So a couple of boxes of beer and you're there !:britfl ag:
Old Jul 17th 2012, 8:54 am
Just Joined

mangoCondo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Worth remembering if there's a few of you but if you buy over 10 litres you can buy between 2-5pm . It's a law to enable shop owners to stock up . So a couple of boxes of beer and you're there !:britfl ag:
OMSJC a law to allow shop owners to stock up.
Of course they could try planning ahead and proper stock control, that would be common sense... oh wait what am I saying!?!
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

theoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond reputetheoldgit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jackwow
Although only until midnight, after which you can't buy again until I think 11am!!!
Yes, you can buy alcohol from 11.00 to 14.00 and 17.00 to 24.00, it's a real pain when we do our big monthly shop at Tesco, we have to ensure we hit the check out before 14.00, or increase our consumption - and that rather defeats the rather archaic law.

Oh and today and tomorrow is some Buddhist festival, so you cannot buy booze for two days.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

My Mom says there was a similar type of law in UK a very long time ago...Is that true??
Old Aug 10th 2012, 4:20 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

wow , how old are you ? it's not that long ago . Pubs used to shut in the afternoon and open again in the early evening .
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 1:41 am
CM, LoS

wolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud of

It's actually only 2pm to 5pm, 00:00 to 11am, it banned - and most supermarkets and chains follow the rule (some restaurants too - like Pizza Hut - and food hall beer 'gardens'). As said, most corner shops do not and will sell it even on official no-drink days, like elections and certain religious days here.

Wine is expensive here - especially for European stuff - double or tripple the price. It's cheaper in Burma (but may not be the real McKoy). Thai wine is cheaper and can be quite good, but seems very inconsistant (even for the same label). Best place to buy seems to be Macros (same with vodka and non-Thai whisky) - strangely enough.

Be careful of corner shops selling foreign booze as sometimes its local/Burmese knockoffs - which can contain some not-so-good ingregients! (beer and Thai whisky (rum) is fine though)

Last edited by wolf5370; Dec 3rd 2012 at 1:46 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 1:47 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolf5370
It's actually only 2pm to 5pm, 00:00 to 11am, it banned - and most supermarkets and chains follow the rule (some restaurants too - like Pizza Hut - and food hall beer 'gardens'). As said, most corner shops do not and will sell it even on official no-drink days, like elections and certain religious days here.

Wine is expensive here - especially for European stuff - double or tripple the price. It's cheaper in Burma (but may not be the real McKoy). Thai wine is cheaper and can be quite good, but seems very inconsistant (even for the same label). Best place to buy seems to be Macros (same with vodka and non-Thai whisky) - strangely enough.

Be careful of corner shops selling foreign booze as sometimes its local/Burmese knockoffs - which can contain some not-so-good ingregients! (beer and Thai whisky (rum) is fine though)
You know these threads you keep necro'ing are nearly 6 months old right?
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 1:58 am
CM, LoS

wolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yeah noticed, but they are still at the top of the queue - they are fairly general too and (hopefully) will help anyone else who googles across it. anyway coffee break's over now, so won't be posting for a while now anyway
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:05 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Well don't put him off. Thailand forum needs livening up sometimes
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:31 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

I have a question.

Chang or Singha?
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:47 am
CM, LoS

Originally Posted by Catchafire
I have a question.

Chang or Singha?
Ah that's an easy one, Leo.
(Chang out the two - Singha gives me a headache)
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 4:06 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolf5370
Ah that's an easy one, Leo.
(Chang out the two - Singha gives me a headache)
Not actually tried Leo, not been in Thailand for over five years now. Thought you meant Beer Lao, which is pretty good, but had never seen it in Thailand.

Chang had always been my go to beer, nothing beats an ice cold 660ml.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.