Phuket airport to town

Old Apr 11th 2013, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Phuket airport to town

Other than taxis are there buses or other options to get to Phuket or Patong?
Old Apr 11th 2013, 2:52 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phuket airport to town

Phuket, I would hire a car. The taxis suck.... But if you want a white knuckle ride
Old Apr 11th 2013, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

The thing is I don't expect to be sober most of the time so any long term vehicle hire is a waste. So there are no options but the taxis?
Old Apr 12th 2013, 2:23 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discobay
The thing is I don't expect to be sober most of the time
You're kidding

I guess taxi is the best way from the airport. If you're staying at a hotel(?) could ask them to pick you up from the airport? Maybe get a better ride. Phuket is not so great in terms of public transport I'm afraid.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

wwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud of

A monorail or light rail system has been discussed in Phuket for nearly 20 years, but not yet materialised due to local politics. Can you wait for another 5-10 years to take it? If not, the only option now is the taxi. If possible, try to find a taximeter which is cheaper than a private one (limousine). I myself prefer all places on the Island except Patong. Have a blast!
Old Apr 13th 2013, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Taxi best option by far. Walk out of 'Arrivals' hall, turn right, keep on going down the walkway to the 'Metered Taxi' office which just across the narrow slip-road at the end of the walkway. Go to the kiosk and tell them where you want to go. They will then write out a ticket to give to the next driver. About 500 baht.

Never had a problem with the taxis there myself, a lot of the taxis from this office are new or newer vehicles.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Atilla
Taxi best option by far. Walk out of 'Arrivals' hall, turn right, keep on going down the walkway to the 'Metered Taxi' office which just across the narrow slip-road at the end of the walkway. Go to the kiosk and tell them where you want to go. They will then write out a ticket to give to the next driver. About 500 baht.

Never had a problem with the taxis there myself, a lot of the taxis from this office are new or newer vehicles.
The first time there I didn't turn right and got accosted by taxi drivers and ended up taken the one who looked least threatening. The second time I hadn't learnt much better and "ordered" one at the desk (not the one you refer to) and got a taxi who then feigned not knowing the address of my hotel and stopped at his office to ask. Whilst there I was sold a day tour to James Bond Island for nearly twice the price that my hotel would have sold it to me for.

I'll check out your suggestion thanks.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 4:21 pm
CM, LoS

wolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud of

Heard a lot of stories about the taxi service down there (well known Taxi Mafia) - tourist being charged 3000 or more baht from the airport. There is little other option as they make pretty sure there is no competition (even from tour operators - or hotels - including blockading the port to stop private transport).

Stick to Atilla advice and use a metred taxi I suggest!
Old Apr 16th 2013, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Yah, the touts and some of the 'in-terminal' desks are a rip-off, touts topping the list. That office is fine though. It may have gone up to 600 now as a lot of the taxis from Patong / Phuket are now asking 600 for airport runs. You do sometimes get 'accosted' by the drivers that actually work that rank but they don't try it on too much I find. Two times they asked for the same rate, one time, 50 baht more.

For tours you can't beat Phuket Travel and Tours IMO. The boss, Cat, is the partner of BM Briofoz, top bloke. Great for bike hire too. Good bikes, good prices and no rip-off / scam contracts. The tours page is here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Phuket...29097470479229
Old Apr 17th 2013, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cheers will check them out.