Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

p85 and other tax related questions when moving abroad

p85 and other tax related questions when moving abroad

Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:36 am
Just Joined

james1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default p85 and other tax related questions when moving abroad

couple of questions i need clarification on ...

ok moved abroad on aug 1st

Tax Year To Date
Gross Pay : 14146.08
Tax : 2143.00
NI Employees : 777.72
NI Employers : 1596.98
Student Loan : 0.00

so as you can see ive paid the correct amount of national insurrance however 950 ish too much tax.

how easy is it to claim back?
now i base 950 on ipaye calculator, which is based on the entire year with tax reductions. am i likely to get entire tax back over spend back?

Source : http://listentotaxman.com/

more serious question when researching this i noticed my p60 from last year

Gross Pay : 28634.82
Tax : 4231.00
NI Employees : 1590.40
NI Employers : 2987.95

which has me very worried because according to tax man site above i have underpaid national insurance

National Insurance £2,568.82
Total Deductions £6,800.78
Net Wage £21,834.04
Employers NI £2,975.67
Net change from 2010 +£151.81

by some margin...

now do these two departments speak, will they resolve the issue or will one pay the tax then i have to deal with the other,

ive moved abroad now with no intention of going back which brings in the fact should i even worry about ni as im never going to use it?

also my employer are unable to send p45 to where i am so when completing p85 it asks for p45 can i send off with out it, can they see on their systems it has been put through?

thank you
Old Sep 9th 2012, 6:34 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: p85 and other tax related questions when moving abroad

you seem to know an awful lot about all this and I haven't got a clue to be honest with you . I've not paid any tax in the UK in years so all the rules and stuff has probably changed loads of times .

Someone might know what you're going on about though.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 11:55 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james1987
couple of questions i need clarification on ...

ok moved abroad on aug 1st

Tax Year To Date
Gross Pay : 14146.08
Tax : 2143.00
NI Employees : 777.72
NI Employers : 1596.98
Student Loan : 0.00

so as you can see ive paid the correct amount of national insurrance however 950 ish too much tax.

how easy is it to claim back?
now i base 950 on ipaye calculator, which is based on the entire year with tax reductions. am i likely to get entire tax back over spend back?

Source : http://listentotaxman.com/

more serious question when researching this i noticed my p60 from last year

Gross Pay : 28634.82
Tax : 4231.00
NI Employees : 1590.40
NI Employers : 2987.95

which has me very worried because according to tax man site above i have underpaid national insurance

National Insurance £2,568.82
Total Deductions £6,800.78
Net Wage £21,834.04
Employers NI £2,975.67
Net change from 2010 +£151.81

by some margin...

now do these two departments speak, will they resolve the issue or will one pay the tax then i have to deal with the other, - Quick answer, no they don't...

ive moved abroad now with no intention of going back which brings in the fact should i even worry about ni as im never going to use it? - Never say never..

also my employer are unable to send p45 to where i am so when completing p85 it asks for p45 can i send off with out it, can they see on their systems it has been put through? - If they could, do you think hey would ask for it separately??

thank you

Best solution to your issue is to contact a decent accountant in the UK. No-one, not even HMRC, understands all the ins and outs but, of you can get a switched on accountant working for you, all issues can and will be sorted out quick.

If you want a recommendation, pm me.

Last edited by TGFKASE; Sep 9th 2012 at 11:58 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 7:39 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james1987

ive moved abroad now with no intention of going back which brings in the fact should i even worry about ni as im never going to use it?
So you're not bothered about getting the UK state pension then?
Old Sep 16th 2012, 8:20 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not an expert, but putting it simply, the tax you paid this year is averaged over the whole year. You will be due back some. $950 sounds about right. To get it, you have to tell the tax man you quit uk work, and where to send it. P45 & P85 are for that. (last payslip has the same info as p45 - company sends it to taxman even if you do not)

NI - its doubtful you underpaid that year, but I did not calculate. If you are gone for good, the issue is simply the number of years you paid in, not the amount. You may be able to keep paying a minimal amount, and still get uk pension at retirement age.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Nabbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bakedbean
So you're not bothered about getting the UK state pension then?
Just check your UK state pension forecast whether you have completed 30-years entitlement for full pension. Easier to request that if in UK. If outside UK, the request is still possible by means of writing a letter. By non-expert.