Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Moving to Thailand, any help appreciated!

Moving to Thailand, any help appreciated!

Old May 13th 2008, 8:03 am
Just Joined

Dougy Stu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Thailand, any help appreciated!

Hi there any help on this no matter how big or small would be appreciated. My father has sold up and cut his ties in the UK. He is planning on getting a bus to Heathrow and hopping on a plane to Thailand with the view of living on his pension in Chang Mai. He has got a small bag packed and a mobile phone but that is about as far as his plans go, I admire his sense of adventure but I must say I am a little worried about him.
If the is anyone out there that has done it or just about to do it and maybe wants a travelling companion or even anyone already in Thailand (Chang Mai) that he could meet up with for a drink and a chat I think would be a great help.

Any advice, do's, don't and and pitfalls would also be great.

Again any advise no matter how small that I could pass on to him.

Thanks in Advance Troy.
Old May 14th 2008, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

djoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Moving to Thailand, any help appreciated!

Originally Posted by Dougy Stu
Hi there any help on this no matter how big or small would be appreciated. My father has sold up and cut his ties in the UK. He is planning on getting a bus to Heathrow and hopping on a plane to Thailand with the view of living on his pension in Chang Mai. He has got a small bag packed and a mobile phone but that is about as far as his plans go, I admire his sense of adventure but I must say I am a little worried about him.
If the is anyone out there that has done it or just about to do it and maybe wants a travelling companion or even anyone already in Thailand (Chang Mai) that he could meet up with for a drink and a chat I think would be a great help.

Thanks in Advance Troy.
Unfortunately, I can not help - but will email someone who might be able to.

Magic Father you have - but I would be concerned too.

If he loves Thailand : property purhase there is not easy. Suggest you show him Malaysia My Second Home Government Programme - which I am going to do as a retiree. Malaysia is in the Commonwealth, their Laws\Jurisprudence is based on that which they inherited from the British. There is a big UK Expat presence there - in KL, Penang and other areas (where property prices can be cheaper). Additionally, everyone and all paperwork is done in English.

I understand his love of Thailand and the Thais (have been there myself) - but he might be "safer" in Malaysia - as there are many connections you could make for him - or he himself.

Good luck to you both.
Best wishes
Old May 14th 2008, 9:07 am
Just Joined

neeali is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in Advance Troy.
He will need to deposit 900.000 THB for the retirement visa. If not he can apply for a three month visa but not too many times.
Old May 14th 2008, 9:34 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Suggest looking at thaivisa.com forums page. Lots and lots of info including a forum on visas and also a Chiang Mai forum.

Not sure about this "safer" in Malaysia comment - is this a reference to crime? If so, try doing some googles on crime rates. Thailand is certainly not crime-free and nor is Malaysia either (no matter what others will lead you to believe - sorry).
Old May 14th 2008, 9:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by djoerk
Unfortunately, I can not help - but will email someone who might be able to.

If he loves Thailand : property purhase there is not easy. Best wishes
Property purchase in Thailand is not difficult - we did it last year, no problems. But you don't have to buy - plenty of places to rent too.
Old May 15th 2008, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

peelie72 is an unknown quantity at this point

malaysia maybe commonwealth but just as much, if not more corrupt than thailand.

we have a property in bkk. it was more simple to obtain than arranging rental accomodation in the uk!

what your dad is about to do, a thousand have done before him.

has he been to thailand before?

wish him luck. he'll meet lots of characters and many will point him in the right direction. he'll make a million friends, local and western.

just make sure he passes over no money to individuals. always do your research on a company first. something that only takes 30 minutes on the web.

the biggest fleecers in thailand are certain westerners who have little saved, no income and will often do anything to remain another month.

i'm jelous!
Old May 15th 2008, 12:43 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Um, I don't mean to be rude but I'm going to sound it however I put this, and I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking it. Has your Dad been on holiday to Thailand and met a young lady who has promised to love him forever?

I've lived in Asia and I've heard/read some horror stories. I also remember meeting an old boy (70-ish) on a plane a few years ago who sounded just like your Dad: He was widowed, he was going to Thailand to be with his "girlfriend" and he had his life savings in his bumbag. I cringed for him, knowing he was almost certainly going to get fleeced. Her "brother" who inevitably desperately needed money for "surgery" would undoubedly turn out to be her husband, that kind of thing.

I sincerely hope this is not the case and your Dad just has a yearning for adventure, but regardless do get him to do his homework.

(Private Dancer by Stephen Leather should be required reading for all men thinking of moving to Thailand )
Old May 15th 2008, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Dougy Stu is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Yes he has been before, he spent nearly a month out there last year. I know exactly what you mean about the girl friend but certainly at this stage I think that is not the case. The reason is is moving out there is that my sister moved to Australia last month and I am moving down under next year so that will be the end of his ties in the UK.

I think he just wants a great adventure and I don't wany him to get fleeced as it can happen to the best of us. I think a 69 year old trevelling alone is going to be a target.

Thanks for you comments, I welcome all comments positive and negative as I know he is going to have to over come pit falls.

Troy

PS Dropped him at the train station today, his smile was worth a million dollars.
Old May 15th 2008, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

neeali is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Yes he has been before, he spent nearly a month out there last year. I know exactly what you mean about the girl friend but certainly at this stage I think that is not the case. The reason is is moving out there is that my sister moved to Australia last month and I am moving down under next year so that will be the end of his ties in the UK.

I think he just wants a great adventure and I don't wany him to get fleeced as it can happen to the best of us. I think a 69 year old trevelling alone is going to be a target.

Thanks for you comments, I welcome all comments positive and negative as I know he is going to have to over come pit falls.

Troy

PS Dropped him at the train station today, his smile was worth a million dollars.

Good for him. I dont know much about Chang Mai ......... Only Bangkok. If he ever needed medical care Samitivej Hospital is outstanding. Hope he doesnt need it and hope he has a wonderful time....... Im sure he will.
Old May 17th 2008, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

beaumonts is an unknown quantity at this point

hey there big bro, thought i would have a looksy as dad suggested and could n't leave without making a comment.
love maria
Old May 17th 2008, 4:54 am
Account Closed

Hi guys,

Troy

I think he will have a great time - life is there to be enjoyed and not about sitting in a chair and thinking "what if". Do please get him to look at thaivisa though - I'm sorry I don't have shares in this company or anything - but we got good info from it and saved us from a few pitfalls too.
Old May 17th 2008, 5:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Seasider
I've lived in Asia and I've heard/read some horror stories. I also remember meeting an old boy (70-ish) on a plane a few years ago who sounded just like your Dad: He was widowed, he was going to Thailand to be with his "girlfriend" and he had his life savings in his bumbag. I cringed for him, knowing he was almost certainly going to get fleeced. Her "brother" who inevitably desperately needed money for "surgery" would undoubedly turn out to be her husband, that kind of thing.

)
Not suggesting for one moment that Troy's Dad is looking for Thai women but I do see a LOT of 60s/70s male expats settling down with Thai women and if the guys are having a good time, and no-one is getting hurt, then why not enjoy life? For a lot of Thai women it's a way out of poverty, so they get to enjoy the good life too. (Acknowledge to Seasider there are a few fleecers, but fleecers are everywhere.) Also now seeing some older expat women with young Thai boyfriends too (interesting).
Old May 20th 2008, 8:00 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said. Thaivisa is a great site full of info.
Old May 20th 2008, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Davidrimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Troy

Thank you Troy, you will never know how much your sopport and help means to me.Now the tears of missing you start. Love to Jenni and a big hug for Jay

Dad

PS No girl required to enjoy this place.
I am
Old May 20th 2008, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

djoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the rough

PS No girl required to enjoy this place.
I am[/QUOTE]

..... one of the few things that may tempt me to Thailand (away from MM2H) was the remark about a "Thai Toyboy"

Glad to see you have arrived safely - you have a great family and a great life ahead of you.

Best wishes and kindest regards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.