Island day trips

Old Jul 14th 2013, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default Island day trips

If you're thinking of taking one of the day trips to places like Phi Phi island or James Bond island you'd better think twice about going by speedboat. Our guide said that because it's monsoon season the ride is hard but I didn't think we were experiencing monsoon conditions. It was very warm not hot, overcast and the sea didn't appear rough. Well two of the trips were so hard all 30+ occupants were often lifted out of our seats. Four threw up. Personally I thought the speed was excessive but we'll never know. When anchored for some swimming and snorkelling the boat rocked so much that I almost spewed. Another disadvantage of smaller boats being the flatish bottoms. What annoyed me was when deciding on whether to take a speedboat or larger normal boat I was told by the tour seller that speedboat would only take 35 minutes to get to Phi Phi Ley. It actually took an hour and then another hour to go to Phi Phi Don. Well that was our experience and I will probably not make the same choice again.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

wwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud of
Default Re: Island day trips

Sorry to hear that. I supposed you travelled to Phi Phi Island from Phuket. The sea, or to be precise the Indian Ocean, around the Phuket Island is unpredictable, especially during the monsoon season. It seems to be very smooth and quiet at first and suddenly crazy with thunder storms. Don't risk your life doing any islands around it though. But if no choice, only pick a ferry or big boat instead of a fishing one or speedboat. That's why most people avoid this time of the year (May - September), but start their journeys between October and April to explore surrounding islands and many places in Phuket. Please come back again during New Year or January-February so that you could see the difference!
Old Jul 16th 2013, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

HannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant future

When I traveled from Koh Samui to Koh Tao the waters were really quite bad. Handing out sick bags throughout the boat journey, and for many people over sold the seats so lots of people standing up. Lucky to get a seat, the boat literally rocked 180 degrees. This was the 'fast boat', people just need to be wary!
Old Aug 9th 2013, 10:50 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HannahJ38
When I traveled from Koh Samui to Koh Tao the waters were really quite bad. Handing out sick bags throughout the boat journey, and for many people over sold the seats so lots of people standing up. Lucky to get a seat, the boat literally rocked 180 degrees. This was the 'fast boat', people just need to be wary!
I will never get the small boat between Surat/Samui/Phangan/Tao again . Car ferry is the only way .
Old Aug 9th 2013, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

HannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant future

Don't blame you! Worst boat journey i've ever had!!
Old Aug 9th 2013, 4:39 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HannahJ38
Don't blame you! Worst boat journey i've ever had!!
The other thing that annoys me about them is that they advertise them as the fast boat but don't mention the fact that they go from Surat Thani town which means it takes you ages to get out of othe river and into the sea proper . On the car ferry you get the bus to Donsak pier which takes about an hour but the crossing time on the boat is less. A lot more comfortable seats . Lot of good memories of the Raja ferry company going to Phangan . Think there is the catamaran now too which is even quicker .