Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Getting Clothes Made In Bangkok, for women...

Getting Clothes Made In Bangkok, for women...

Old Aug 11th 2009, 10:50 am
The Flying Anglo-Dutchman

Bikbergen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting Clothes Made In Bangkok, for women...

Most of the tailors in Bangkok seem to cater for men only.

My wife would like to have a classic, Chinese style, silk dress made in Bangkok, you probably know the kind of dress I'm talking about.

Its body hugging with a split at the legs and a nice flower or Chinese dragon pattern on it.

Someone advised we go and have a look in China town

I have put a similar post on THAIVISA.

So, if there are any women out there who've had dresses made in Bangkok I would love to hear from them, personal recommendations are always the best.

Any advise given would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Clothes Made In Bangkok, for women...

Originally Posted by Bikbergen
Most of the tailors in Bangkok seem to cater for men only.

My wife would like to have a classic, Chinese style, silk dress made in Bangkok, you probably know the kind of dress I'm talking about.

Its body hugging with a split at the legs and a nice flower or Chinese dragon pattern on it.

Someone advised we go and have a look in China town

I have put a similar post on THAIVISA.

So, if there are any women out there who've had dresses made in Bangkok I would love to hear from them, personal recommendations are always the best.

Any advise given would be greatly appreciated.
Hello Mr B!

The name of the dress you're referring to is a Qipao (pronounced Chii pow).
Usually the patterns are either, birds, flowers, or dragons.

If you ever travel to Shanghai or anywhere in China, better to get one here. A tailor will make one for around 200-300 RMB (1000-1500 baht), perhaps more for a really nice one, but they're basically just a piece of silk with a lining anyway. It will look stunning on your wife.

I don't remember ever seeing any in BKK, but wasn't looking anyway, however, one of the best tailors in BKK who can at least recommend to you, would be Ragawongsi, speak to Jesse or his son.

It's just before the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 4 - yep, about 100 yards before you turn into soi 4 on the way to Nana Plaza.... err, in days gone by perhaps, of course. :-)

Best regards
MP
Old Aug 11th 2009, 9:22 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Also known as a cheongsam

Never had clothes made in Bangkok, sorry. Once had a dress made in Koh Samui whilst The Geek was having suits made and it was awful, never wore it.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 2:43 pm

@MP Thanks for the tip, I've got a list of names and addresses now and we'll be checking them all out, I can see some hard bargoning ahead.....

Must be great living and working in Shanghai, I hear its a fantastic city for expats to be in, great old world architecture mixed with the new. I'm jealous......

Where are you from, originally, MP? I've seen several postings of yours, you seem to be quite a globetrotter!

@Seasider Can't say that I'm looking forward to the experience of having a dress made for my wife in Bangkok, it's going to be a nightmare, but she's got here heart set on it. Anyway, it will keep her busy whilst I have my teeth sorted out at the BIDC.....
Old Aug 12th 2009, 9:18 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bikbergen
Anyway, it will keep her busy whilst I have my teeth sorted out at the BIDC.....
Aha. Having mine fixed when I pass through Singapore next month, got a lovely dentist there and really can't justify Oz prices

Cheongsams should be fine, they make lots of those. I however wanted something different, thought we'd got the design sorted, but obviously lost something in translation. The Geeks suits and shirts were fine.

I've just dug this out of my Outlook notes for a tailor in Bangkok: Landmark Hotel tailor - Jass Fashion, in the basement
Haven't used them myself but a friend in Sg recommended them.

Does your wife like silver jewellery? I do thoroughly recommend this place - http://www.linandsons.com/shop/index.asp
They're very close to the Oriental Hotel and I have tons of stuff from there, as do a lot of girlfriends. They have some Tiffanyish things too.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:57 am

Dentist in Singapore?

This will be my second visit to the BIDC in Bangkok.

I looked in to dentistry in Singapore in 2007 but I found it far to expensive, indeed it was someone on a forum in Singapore who recommended the BIDC in Bangkok.

I have to say that I'm very happy with the BIDC, they have the highest standards, most modern equipment around and excellent service.

IPS Empress All Ceramic crown is only 12000 Baht, I'll need 7 of those

I'm not even afraid to go to there, I used to have a phobia against dentists, and seeing marathon man did not help

Thanks for the tip on the tailor and silver jewellry and yes my wife loves silver
Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:10 pm
Auntie Fa

I had a mouthful of crowns done in when I lived in Singapore a few years ago - well, 16 of them. Cost me S$7.5k and people say I have great teeth without being able to tell they are crowned.

Unfortunately I broke one a couple of weeks ago. Had a temporary filling done here in Sydney but was told a crown would cost me at least A$1700 (about same as SGD) and possibly not match. I'll be stopping over in Sg in a few weeks anyway so have made a couple of appointments.

Broke off the temp filling today, too

(My tip - don't go for ultra-white crowns; people know they are not real.)
Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:23 pm

Yup, its an expensive hobby, crowns.....

I've only myself to blame, abused my poor teeth with too much sugar, alcohol and cigies. Thank god I stopped the sugar intake and we both stopped smoking 5 years ago but we still like a drink

Anyway, one of my crowns is broken too, Ive been told I'll have to wear one of these rubber teeth protectors in my mouth in future as I grind my teeth in my sleep.....

And yes my crowns are off white and not brilliant white, I'm not an American
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

castleunited is an unknown quantity at this point

You can try Excelsior in bangkok near patpong market. They made good clothes for my mom and sister. Have a look at them.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

hunnytread is an unknown quantity at this point

Every guide or bus driver we met had a tailor to recommend, however after reading the reviews on tripadvisor we decided to find <the tailor we selected>. We were not disappointed. Sam provided us with wonderful service and did not rush us or try to talk us into buying more outfits. He provided us with water, turned on the fans and let us sit and rest before selecting styles and materials. Together we bought a suit, matching skirt, 1 extra jacket, 2 pairs of trousers, 1 ladies shirt, 8 short sleeved men's shirts and a pair of men's shorts - $420. It took several fittings but everything was very well made and fitted perfectly. This place is well worth a visit if you are after tailor made clothes.

Last edited by meauxna; Mar 2nd 2010 at 10:34 pm. Reason: perhaps you can share names when you've been here a bit longer