Death in Thailand

Old Jul 13th 2023, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

lesleyer_er is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Death in Thailand

Hi,

I hope someone can help me.

My father died in Thailand and I am having issues getting hold of a death certificate. He was a British national on a retirement visa.

I authorised my dads partner (not married) to be able to release the body for cremation but she is now not playing ball and will not send me the death certificate.

I am officially his next of kin but unable to start closing his affairs in the UK. I have notified his pension companies and state pension which have all been stopped but I need the certificate to close bank accounts etc.

I was not advised by the embassy when I gave permission for her to be able to carry out the funeral that, that would mean only she would get the death certificate.

I have looked in the gov.uk website but there is nothing there to help.

Has anyone been through or experienced anything like this before and if so please can you advise what you were able to do to resolve it. I have emailed the consular office in the UK and am awaiting a reply.

Also can anyone recommend where they got a death certificate translated once they got hold of it.

Thank you.

Last edited by lesleyer_er; Jul 13th 2023 at 1:53 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2023, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Death in Thailand

First of all, condolences.

Did your Dad have a recent will held in UK (or did he make one in Thailand?)

Without that its likely you won't be able to do very much at all unfortunately.

Thai consulate in UK can probably give you the best advice. Good luck.