Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Chiang Mai, when is the best time?

Chiang Mai, when is the best time?

Old Jul 9th 2013, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

lostinlondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Chiang Mai, when is the best time?

Hello all,
New to the forum, you are doing a great job here , keep it up.

Just some advice, as ive not yet read all the threads.

When is a good time to go to Chiang Mai ?
ie, when the cost for an apartment / flat is cheap?

I have found through this forum, that in October onwards the weather is similar to a european climate, ie a bit nippy at night.

Ive recently split from a marriage i have two grown up children and i want to get away for a couple of months to forget about things here, but i will be doing things on a budget of sorts.
Im not going to be coming out with thousands of pounds, unfortunately and want to make the best of a bad situation?

I know from reading the threads, that the cost of an apartment can vary quiet alot depending on what is required?
For me i would like a clean, 1 bed place with own bathroom & furnished, would this be possible to get or am i going to have to look elsewhere?
What is a good part of Chiang Mai?
Is the area in general quiet safe? ( I understand common sense would prevail first)
Im not a drinker as such, but like a coffee and to sit & people watch, and let the world go by, I've just gave up smoking (well i am 3 weeks into it, after 40 a day)
In fact im a total bore, hahaha

I did ideally want to come out in Dec/ Jan, what is it like there then?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all

Last edited by lostinlondon; Jul 9th 2013 at 10:22 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 1:45 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chiang Mai, when is the best time?

Hi, just to say welcome to the forum . I no longer live in Thailand, and have never visited Chiang Mai unfortunately, so I'll let the Thailand residents answer your questions. Hope you have a good trip.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

HannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant future

Chiang Mai is a great city, when I stayed I stayed within the center, but also ventured out into the hills..in order to do jungle treck and other forms of activities. There are lots of bars and English ones too so even if you don't drink there's somewhere comforting to go and relax. I also watched the World Cup final in 2010 in the city square, great atmosphere, huge screens everyone came together, food and drink was served really enjoyable. I was there during the summer months however. Could recommend maybe the Chang Phuak area to stay. Good luck!
Old Jul 11th 2013, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

lostinlondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HannahJ38
Chiang Mai is a great city, when I stayed I stayed within the center, but also ventured out into the hills..in order to do jungle treck and other forms of activities.
I would get out of breath just thinking about that Hannah

Originally Posted by HannahJ38
There are lots of bars and English ones too so even if you don't drink there's somewhere comforting to go and relax. I also watched the World Cup final in 2010 in the city square, great atmosphere, huge screens everyone came together, food and drink was served really enjoyable. I was there during the summer months however. Could recommend maybe the Chang Phuak area to stay. Good luck!
Yeah this sound's right for me
Thanks very much for your Input H' you are a

Be lucky
Old Jul 16th 2013, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

HannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant future

Not a problem, good luck!
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

julian1968 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lost in London... How did this go for you?
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

wwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud of

You might like to look up some more information about Chiang Mai from www.chiangmainews.com With your limited budgets, you can still find a decent room in the city centre, especially near the rail station, from www.hostelworld.com or www.agoda.com It is quite nice to do Chiang Mai between October now and February; then Songkran Festival in April. The peak period usually starts from 10th December to 10th January. A return flight ticket from the UK might go up to £1,000 by the time. So plan your journey now, as everything is getting expensive. You may base your trip in Chiang Mai and explore other provinces like Mae Hong Son and Chiang Rai, or even go further to Myanmar (Burma). Enjoy your life in this beautiful city. If possible, spend a couple of days in BKK.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 4:47 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look on airbnb . There's some great deals on there I think .

A quick search came up with these places . They might suit you they might not. Depends on your budget really .

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1557639...03%2F04%2F2014

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/939100?...03%2F04%2F2014

I've never been to CM but people always say how nice it is . One thing to be aware of though is that there can be bad pollution problems there from smoke coming from slash and burn farming at certain times of the year .
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

julian1968 is an unknown quantity at this point

For those looking for longer term accomodation look here

http://chiangmaiproperties.co.th/Con...0000&max=15000

Also, if you Google STA travel, they get great prices and have quoted me £650 rtn UK to KL with 11 rtn date. That price was for October but they tell me it gets cheaper in off peak.