Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Work in another profession whilst on a 176 visa

Work in another profession whilst on a 176 visa

Old Aug 12th 2009, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

uklass is on a distinguished road
Default Work in another profession whilst on a 176 visa

Apologies if this has already been answered...I've searched but to no avail!!

I'm a primary teacher and am very likely to apply for a 176 regional state sponsered visa for the NT. I love the NT and would happily settle there forever. The thing that holds me back is how likely I am to get a job as a primary teacher once there. Its extremly competitive here (north west england) so I wondered can I work in another profession or any other job whilst I look for & apply for teaching jobs or would that contravene the terms of my visa?

The dream has always been the NT but unemployment is grim wherever you are!

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Uklass
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:26 am
missapps

missapps will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Work in another profession whilst on a 176 visa

I'm sure you are already aware of this, but they are quite desperate for teachers in the NT at the moment and are offering a programme to overseas teachers with cheap accomm and incentives etc- look up DET-NT.au and you can apply online
only downside is that most jobs are rural- but if you're up for that- go for it!!!

Oh and in answer to your question once you're approved and have the 176 visa you are permanent resident here so you can work in anything! as long as you have the family to support yourself cos unfortunatley the economic depression crisis is affecting oz badly!!!

Last edited by missapps; Aug 13th 2009 at 11:50 am.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks missapps, this is really helpful. I have seen the NT website with teaching jobs but I thought I needed a visa first & to register with the department of teaching before applying for jobs?

To be honest, the more I look into things the more confused I am becoming. A migration agency told me I could apply for a 176 visa for the NT but another agency has just said today that primary teachers aren't on any 176 visa and I should apply for a 475. Do you know (or anone else out there!!) if I can work in another profession on a 475? I want to teach but don't want to spend a long time unemployed searching for an elusive job!!

Thanks again for your help.

Uk Lass
Old Aug 14th 2009, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Just heard back from a migration agent so going to answer my own question!

You can work in another profession on a 475, conditions of the visa are that you live and are employed in that state, no specification of the type of employment.

Just incase this helps someone else
Old Aug 14th 2009, 10:01 am
Just Joined

louisew is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi uklass,

i too am teaching in the north west of england at the minute (sunny blackpool!) and desparately want to go down the nt route having just missed out on the wa sponsorships. have checked out all the sponsored visas etc and would be eligible aside from the $50k net that it stipulates for me and my partner to relocate. Have you had the same problem or are you a good saver? Keep us updated on how you get on!
Old Aug 14th 2009, 10:06 am
Just Joined

oh - i forgot to say - have been advised that primary teacher is still on the northern territories skilled occupation shortage list and secondary teacher is on the northern territories baseline list of occupations, so either way you could still apply for the 176 and get permanent residency from the start!
Old Aug 14th 2009, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Hi Louise, thanks for reply. Yep, I'm ok for the financial side, got enough tied up in my property (if it ever sells) and according to agent it is ok to show assets as property.

Confused tho, I thought primary teacher was on 176 too. 2 immigration agencies told me that was the case but another agency said that teaching isn't on any 176 for any state but can apply for 475 for NT or South Australia. No other agency has ever mentioned South Australia to me as an option.

Pleased to hear that there aren't restrictions on the type of employment once I get there but as had differing advice from agencies unsure who I should use or trust (if any).

The more I look at it, the more undecided I'm becoming!!
Old Aug 14th 2009, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Alk1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi louise and uklass,

I am also a primary teacher considering going to NT having missed out on WA sponsorship (long story!). i have looked at South Australia list (April 2009) and primary teacher is not on any list. secondary teacher is on 475 list.

I also spoke to somebody at a recent migration day in Manchester from ACT government and they said that Primary teachers were going to be on their new list which I believe will be published sometime in September. So we will just have to wait and see! Keep me informed of what you do!

Al
Old Aug 14th 2009, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Found info for primary on 176 list here http://www.migration.nt.gov.au/servi...entParentID=81 - hope the link works as i just copied and pasted from the url bar - and primary teacher is definitely on the nt osl list - there is a link to it from this page.

I didn't know that you could count a house as part of the $50k - very useful info, uklass, thanks. We were thinking of renting ours out until the market picks up - does anyone know whether we would still be able to count it in these circumstances?
Old Aug 19th 2009, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Need to correct one of my posts!

Spoke to another immigration agent today & they said that although you can work in another occupation on the 475 visa it needs to be on the SOL. This contradicts what another agency told me earlier about being able to work in any occupation.

Confused...as ever!

Louisew, in answer to your question, sorry don't know for sure about the renting - although can't see it would a problem, the property is your asset whether its sold or rented I would have thought?

Uklass
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:55 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uklass
Need to correct one of my posts!

Spoke to another immigration agent today & they said that although you can work in another occupation on the 475 visa it needs to be on the SOL. This contradicts what another agency told me earlier about being able to work in any occupation.

Confused...as ever!

Louisew, in answer to your question, sorry don't know for sure about the renting - although can't see it would a problem, the property is your asset whether its sold or rented I would have thought?

Uklass
Have you posted on the immi section as there are a few who will be able to tell you for certain.

Regards,
Cooler
Old Aug 21st 2009, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Cooler.

Have re-read the immi website (again and again!) and have a few things clearer in my head now.

If you are working on a 475 your obligations are:

(from website)
You and any accompanying secondary applicants, must agree to live and work or study in a Specified Regional Area of Australia.

Note: The main applicant can study while they hold this visa, however they are expected to be looking for, and engaging in, full time work. Any study should be incidental to full time work.

No mention of what sort of work or if it is on the SOL.

Can't take the credit for this knowledge - big thank you to Sebeva for helping me out.

Uklass
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Candlestick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

We're new to this site - and also looking into NT state sponsorship. This is a really useful thread.

Does anyone know how long you need to have the $50 in your account. My family want to take out a loan to help us with this but we're not sure how long the money would have to be tied up. Any ideas? The whole 2 years? Hope not ...
Old Sep 24th 2009, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by uklass
Thanks Cooler.

Have re-read the immi website (again and again!) and have a few things clearer in my head now.

If you are working on a 475 your obligations are:

(from website)
You and any accompanying secondary applicants, must agree to live and work or study in a Specified Regional Area of Australia.

Note: The main applicant can study while they hold this visa, however they are expected to be looking for, and engaging in, full time work. Any study should be incidental to full time work.

No mention of what sort of work or if it is on the SOL.

Can't take the credit for this knowledge - big thank you to Sebeva for helping me out.

Uklass
Basically if you are eligible for a 176 this is the better option as you can then undertake any work anywhere in the state (in fact though there is a moral obligation to stay in the sponsoring state I don't think there is a legal one)

A temp visa is always going to be a stop gap option and is really designed for people that can't get permanent residency.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Candlestick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Hereshoping,

Thanks for that. I've copied and pasted (below) the wording from the declaration you have to sign if you get state sponsorship with the NT. Does anyone else find it a bit ambiguous? I mean once you get it, can you work anywhere - providing you can find work - including Darwin? Or does 'regional' mean everywhere but Darwin? Sorry if I'm being a bit dense.

"Under the SS visa there is an obligation to reside in regional Australia for two years. Northern Territory sponsorship is based on a commitment to live and work or operate a business in the Northern Territory. To ease skill shortages in regional centres in the Northern Territory sponsorship may be on the basis of a
demonstrated willingness to live and work in a regional centre outside of Darwin."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.