Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Will PGCE in History be favourable when emigrating to Aus?

Will PGCE in History be favourable when emigrating to Aus?

Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Iwant2binfreo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will PGCE in History be favourable when emigrating to Aus?

I'm currently deciding what subject I am going to do for my PGCE...

History is my favourite subject but will that gurantee a visa?

The SOL dosn't specify what subjects are required, just "Secondary School Teacher"

thanks in advance...
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:30 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will PGCE in History be favourable when emigrating to Aus?

Originally Posted by Iwant2binfreo

The SOL dosn't specify what subjects are required, just "Secondary School Teacher"

thanks in advance...
I think Maths/Technology/ICT and the Sciences are considered to be very much in demand, but don't quote me on that! lol

Anyone else back me up or correct me?
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:35 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

I'm qualified in History and English with History definitely my favourite subject and found History teaching jobs difficult to come by as many states combine history with other humanities/social science subjects (it's SOSE in Qld, NT, SA, HSIE in NSW). You end up teaching a lot of other subjects & it can often end up being at the discretion of the HOD/longer serving staff how much 'history' is actually taught.

At one school where I was teaching SOSE to Yr 9 and 10 I was teaching Careers, Business Studies, Economics and Geography. It can mean a LOT of extra work as you spend half the time trying to learn the subjects yourself before teaching it. I also found it really depressing - if I was interested in teaching any of those subjects then I would have qualified in them for pete's sake!!!

I think SOSE is a wretched idea - especially after teaching in the UK and seeing how popular history can be as a stand alone subject (when it is taught well). In contrast kids tend to hate SOSE - there's no choice for them until they get to upper secondary but by that time I found a lot of kids were put off history as they associated it with their negative memories of SOSE.

On the postitive side there is talk in Australia of a National Curriculum and part of that involves breaking up SOSE and placing more emphasis on history. i'm not sure how that is panning out on the ground although in the past I've felt that private/independent schools are more likely to be advertising straight history posts rather than gov't schools.

Also as other poster suggested it seems (when looking for jobs) that Maths/Science and IT - as well as English poss? tend to be higher in demand.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 10:10 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saoghalbeag
I'm qualified in History and English with History definitely my favourite subject and found History teaching jobs difficult to come by as many states combine history with other humanities/social science subjects (it's SOSE in Qld, NT, SA, HSIE in NSW). You end up teaching a lot of other subjects & it can often end up being at the discretion of the HOD/longer serving staff how much 'history' is actually taught.

At one school where I was teaching SOSE to Yr 9 and 10 I was teaching Careers, Business Studies, Economics and Geography. It can mean a LOT of extra work as you spend half the time trying to learn the subjects yourself before teaching it. I also found it really depressing - if I was interested in teaching any of those subjects then I would have qualified in them for pete's sake!!!

I think SOSE is a wretched idea - especially after teaching in the UK and seeing how popular history can be as a stand alone subject (when it is taught well). In contrast kids tend to hate SOSE - there's no choice for them until they get to upper secondary but by that time I found a lot of kids were put off history as they associated it with their negative memories of SOSE.

On the postitive side there is talk in Australia of a National Curriculum and part of that involves breaking up SOSE and placing more emphasis on history. i'm not sure how that is panning out on the ground although in the past I've felt that private/independent schools are more likely to be advertising straight history posts rather than gov't schools.

Also as other poster suggested it seems (when looking for jobs) that Maths/Science and IT - as well as English poss? tend to be higher in demand.
Oh yeah, I forgot about SOSE, I remember coming across it when I was doing the casual TA work in the High School while waiting for my rego. It really did seem a very generalised 'subject', probably not the easiest to teach!
Old Aug 5th 2010, 12:48 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately IT definitely isn't in demand. There are very few jobs available as schools tend to use it to fill up timetables of other teachers. Business is also being reduced in state schools.

I'd stick to Maths, Science and Technology
Old Aug 5th 2010, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Iwant2binfreo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that.

Definately food for thought...

Science and maths are not really my strong points so I really don't know what to do?

Jenni, what do you teach?
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:23 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Thanks for that.

Definately food for thought...

Science and maths are not really my strong points so I really don't know what to do?

Jenni, what do you teach?
I'm Primary, so a 'Jack of all Trades, and a Master of None' lol
Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:17 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

What about English? That's in demand in WA.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Soja is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys!
Does anyone know whether a PGCE in MFL (German) is "enough" to be registered in (preferably VIC)? I am concerned because sec teachers here seem to be "officially" trained in 2 subjects, whereas my PGCE course will only be in German (and some French, but that is just what the school wants me to teach and nothing I have officially studied or done my PGCE course in).

any advice from those who teach in AUS?

I am engaged to an Aussie, thus def. want to teach here after my PGCE (starting in 5 weeks...AAHHHH).

many thanks!!!!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:28 pm
WS

It's fine in WA. The Australian Teachers find it strange that we are only trained in one subject but officially it makes no difference in state registration.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Soja is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you SOOOO much!!!!! Great news!!!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 10:44 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

I would still recommend History if that is what you are passionate about - don't choose a subject you don't like just to get jobs!! Teaching is hard enough without teaching something that isn't your passion - trust me, I am qualified in both History and English teaching, & although I enjoy English when I'm the student, as the teacher it is always, always a struggle for me, & I never quite lose the fear and trepidation before classes...whereas teaching history is so exciting and fun I don't even realise I'm working lol

With a history degree you will still be able to teach SOSE - perhaps take some geography etc as minor subjects if there's room in your PGCE? Or even English?? AND you will teach History just not all the time. There are job ads for SOSE teachers but more often than not they are "English/SOSE" positions.

have a look at teachers.on.net for job ads in independent schools - might give you some idea of what is out there?
Old Aug 14th 2010, 6:36 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

thanks in advance...
You might not have much choice as there are rules about the percentage of your subject from your degree that you have to have for PGCE. If you have a degree that's mostly history then there's no chance you can do a PGCE in maths or science!