Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Will I be able to get any job!

Will I be able to get any job!

Old Mar 10th 2010, 11:18 pm
wgl
Just Joined

wgl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will I be able to get any job!

My husband is moving to Perth as an expat. I am thinking of joining him and would like to work in the education sector, but I am 52 and not sure if I can get a visa. I have an hons degree in Chemistry/Biochemistry + PGCE. 10 years teaching experience secondary chemistry to A level with biology/physics to GCSE. 9 years teaching fellow in chemistry at a Scottish university and 5 years as an academic skills adviser at university (everything from note-taking, essay writing to exam skills etc.) working with students from level 1 to masters level. I also tutor Chemistry at all Scottish school qualification levels. It has been 30 years since I graduated, so there is little hope of getting information from the university where I got my degree. Is there any hope of a job?

Last edited by wgl; Mar 10th 2010 at 11:21 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of
Default Re: Will I be able to get any job!

Originally Posted by wgl
My husband is moving to Perth as an expat. I am thinking of joining him and would like to work in the education sector, but I am 52 and not sure if I can get a visa. I have an hons degree in Chemistry/Biochemistry + PGCE. 10 years teaching experience secondary chemistry to A level with biology/physics to GCSE. 9 years teaching fellow in chemistry at a Scottish university and 5 years as an academic skills adviser at university (everything from note-taking, essay writing to exam skills etc.) working with students from level 1 to masters level. I also tutor Chemistry at all Scottish school qualification levels. It has been 30 years since I graduated, so there is little hope of getting information from the university where I got my degree. Is there any hope of a job?
I wouldn't think you would need to worry about a visa if your husband is an expat, I'm guessing you mean an aussie citizen so that would mean you would get a spouse visa automatically wouldn't you? (talk about answering a question with a question!,lol).
I think your thinking of the process of registering as a teacher,I don't know much about Perth but i would suggest contacting them directly and explaining all that you have written and see what they say, there must be times like this when people cannot prove some things but have enough evidence form other areas to satisfy any doubts as to validation. With all your experience and in a shortage subject I would have thought they would grab you with both hands? Good luck! Babs
Old Mar 14th 2010, 12:09 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Babsw
I wouldn't think you would need to worry about a visa if your husband is an expat, I'm guessing you mean an aussie citizen so that would mean you would get a spouse visa automatically wouldn't you? (talk about answering a question with a question!,lol).
I think your thinking of the process of registering as a teacher,I don't know much about Perth but i would suggest contacting them directly and explaining all that you have written and see what they say, there must be times like this when people cannot prove some things but have enough evidence form other areas to satisfy any doubts as to validation. With all your experience and in a shortage subject I would have thought they would grab you with both hands? Good luck! Babs
I agree with the above post! Contact WACOT - http://www.wacot.wa.edu.au/index.php?section=1 and ask them if you will be able to teach. They are who you must be registered with in order to teach in a WA school.

Good luck
Old Mar 14th 2010, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

If you can get registered then you should be able to find a job... Chem teachers are in short supply over here.

Your main stumbling block will be the degree transcripts... Contact your un and if they don't have the records get them to write a letter saying that
Old Mar 16th 2010, 2:28 pm
wgl
Just Joined

wgl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all your comments and suppport. I will investigate the options and see what I need to do. I may take time out just to enjoy the experience of living in another country first - how many people get this opportunity! I will probably be back with more questions soon.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 11:48 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

My friend also graduated over 20 years ago and had no problem. He used his degree certificate, a letter from the university saying they no longer had any details/transcripts and a copy of the current syllabus for his course. This was for both his degree and PGCE.

This was acceptable to both DIAC and WACOT and is currently a registered teacher in WA.

Good luck!