Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

WHV supply teaching in Australia

WHV supply teaching in Australia

Old Sep 27th 2008, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Brum Brian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WHV supply teaching in Australia

...hopefully a simple question: if I want to do supply teaching on a working holiday visa do I need to apply to teach Australia...or is that to assess qualifications specifically for skilled migration? From what I understand at the moment I would need to get my visa then apply direct to a particular state?
Old Sep 28th 2008, 8:26 am
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice
Default Re: WHV supply teaching in Australia

Originally Posted by Brum Brian
...hopefully a simple question: if I want to do supply teaching on a working holiday visa do I need to apply to teach Australia...or is that to assess qualifications specifically for skilled migration? From what I understand at the moment I would need to get my visa then apply direct to a particular state?
This requires planning. Before you go, you need to register with the governing teaching body for each state you would want to work in.
So make multiple certified copies of transcripts, police checks etc

I don't honestly know what TA do. I know a lot of people on here have had their qualifications assessed by them for PR and for 457, but I've had no dealings with them.

I do know there's a page on their website that tells you that even if you get assessed by them, you still need to re-assessed by each state body,. it then lists them.
I've find that page and then use those links to go the relevant websites and find out how to register for each state.

Then, look at job ads for the areas you're going to as agencies often advertise there. You can begin contacting supply agencies in advance and see what info they need so all your paperwork is OK.

I'd make sure you do all this at least 3 months before going- just in case!

Whether on top of this you need to pay teaching Australia for an assessment, I don't know, as I believe rules have changed since I applied for my 457.
Someone else could better advise.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, I e-mailed the teaching authority in Victoria and they have sent me a form which tells me the paperwork that I need to gather. They also helpfully sent me a link to a list of all the supply agencies.

Cheers for your help
Old Sep 28th 2008, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

http://www.tanvic.com.au/

...this is the website of the regulatory organistation for supply agencies in Victoria - the list is on there in case anyone's interested.