Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

What can I do to increase my chances of work in US? (experiences please)

What can I do to increase my chances of work in US? (experiences please)

Old Aug 29th 2011, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

nocturnal_tick is a jewel in the roughnocturnal_tick is a jewel in the roughnocturnal_tick is a jewel in the roughnocturnal_tick is a jewel in the rough
Default What can I do to increase my chances of work in US? (experiences please)

I've heard the challenges that non-citizens are facing with the current economical climate. The fact that schools are already laying off teachers, makes the idea of both months of planning and spending thousands of dollars a bit of a stretch.

So for this year I'm planning on working towards getting 'Outstanding' grading in my inspections. But what will I be able to do with it? I've heard about the Fulbright exchange but still looking for more similar projects.

Also, anyone familiar with any statistics regarding immigrant teachers? What are the numbers of applicants? Numbers of accepted positions? etc etc.

Thanks
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

hilasbat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What can I do to increase my chances of work in US? (experiences please)

Originally Posted by nocturnal_tick
So for this year I'm planning on working towards getting 'Outstanding' grading in my inspections. But what will I be able to do with it?
Honestly? If this is from a UK school = sweet FA - lesson observations mean absolutely nothing, you could say you had received 100 'outstanding' graded observations a) there is no way of proving it b) what is 'outstanding'? Its completely subjective, and generally done by people who it is in their best interests for you to do well therefore means very little other than the context/school it is done in. (This is coming from someone who has had countless 'outstanding' observations, alongside a few 'satisfactory' ratings - all very pointless).

VIF seems to be the cheapest least painless way to go to get to the states. Unfortunately, good luck will be needed. Sorry to be depressing and cynical, but at the end of the day, its just being realistic Good luck