Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

wanting to teach in the US

wanting to teach in the US

Old Apr 14th 2005, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

brownin is on a distinguished road
Question wanting to teach in the US

I have been excepted on a PGCE course for this September and I am planning to move to the US July 2006 on a fiancee visa. I was wondering:

[1] Whether or not I have to complete my qualifying year in the UK to teach in the US?

[2] With all of the red tape that has to be completed, is it feasible to want to start work in 2006/07 academic year?

Any comments would be appreciated
Old Apr 27th 2005, 12:58 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wanting to teach in the US

A lot will depend on which state you are moving to, and whether you will be in an area that need teachers, or a subject that is in short supply.
Old May 3rd 2005, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ben
A lot will depend on which state you are moving to, and whether you will be in an area that need teachers, or a subject that is in short supply.
I am moving to NY and I will be qualified to teach Business or Economics at a high school level.

I am still not sure whether or not I can do my qualifying year there (and it be recognised in the UK, if I ever decide to come back). I have spoken to the NY education department foreign teachers and they informed me that I would be able to work there, as all techers are in demand for High school (but I would be working in NYC, as this is where they have a desperate shortage).
Old May 21st 2005, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

half-pint is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by brownin
I have been excepted on a PGCE course for this September and I am planning to move to the US July 2006 on a fiancee visa. I was wondering:

[1] Whether or not I have to complete my qualifying year in the UK to teach in the US?

[2] With all of the red tape that has to be completed, is it feasible to want to start work in 2006/07 academic year?

I doubt you do have to complete your qualifying year to teach in the US. You will probably have to complete several exams prior to getting your license, that is unless a school is willing to take you as a lateral entry candidate or a school district is willing to give you an emergency license. States have different requirements.

I am a UK trained teacher (BA Hons + PGCE) who has also passed the DFES threshold performance. I am now living in the US and trying to get a teaching job. We currently reside in Ohio where I'd have to take and pass the Praxis www.ets.org tests prior to applying for a license, I'd also need to get my UK qualifications evaluated by an international credentials evaluation service. However, we're also looking into moving to NC, infact I have aleady sent my application in for a license and am waiting to hear. NC allowed me to send in my qualifications without them being evaluated. they will also recognise my 9 years teaching experience in the UK, and they will give me one year to pass the Praxis tests whilst teaching on a provisional license.

If I were you I'd see about taking the praxis tests as soon as possible. I'm not sure you'd be able to start teaching at the beginning of the 2006 academic year as you stated you would arrive in the US in July 2006 on a fiance visa, there might besome complications with the EAD? Just a thought.

I wish you the best of luck!

Ellie

Last edited by half-pint; May 21st 2005 at 1:05 pm.
Old May 24th 2005, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice....

Here is a little update (for anyone in my situation).....lol
I am still moving to the US in July '06, BUT my fiance and I are going to stay in Delaware for a year (living in his parent's side house... ). So that we can sort out a nice place to live in NY. His parents have just moved from NY to DE to retire (it's a pensioners haven!!)
Yep...... he is sacrificing a lot for me and will be moving in with his parents Christmas time (so he can get the side house in order, for when me and his son come)........ LOL........ Sorry, I have sooooo gone off the topic, ANYWAYS......

I called DEED last week (a lot more helpful than NYED) and was told that Business is shortage subject . It is pretty much the same as NY to be certified. I have to get my qualifications evaluated (I will be sending off my certificates as soon as I complete the PGCE in June). I also have to pass the Praxis 1 and Praxis 2 (as I am teaching high school business)..... The wonderful news though is I can take these tests while I am still in the UK (able to have the whole year to pass) as the tests are done at the American School in London!!!!
The turn around time for evaluationis 2 weeks, when I get that back (and as long as I pass the praxis test) I will be able to send all of the appropriate documentation to DEED while I am still in the UK, the adviser said that this should take 2-4 weeks........ If still in the UK, I can start to apply for jobs on the web, but if in DE I can apply in person....... Making my dream of teaching in the 06/07 academic year more realistic!!

As for the EAD, I should be ok... I will fly to JFK to get my 90 day EAD, marry 7 days later and apply for my AOS, AP & EAD 9 days after my entry to the US. Delaware is small and processes quite quickly, I may have to wait forever for the AOS, but the EAD will take 60 days at the most to be sent and my temporary one will still be valid!!!

SO............ As long as everything goes smoothly I should be ok, but I'll keep you all posted.... LOL (all my fingers are crossed)! I hope this information helps someone

Last edited by brownin; May 24th 2005 at 11:03 am.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

contact VIF

I taught in the US in 2001, wonderful induction programme
a good way to start with lots of support

http://www.vifprogram.com/
Tara
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:37 am
Just Joined

deirdre77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Brownin

Glad to hear that you are sorted!!! I would love to go and teach in the USA in Sept 2006, I have a PGCE in Business and ICT, but considering a Special Needs course. I have no idea where to start the whole process. I noticed that you have a fiancee visa, I have nothing like that, will that hinder my chances of gaining employment.

Any tips would be great
Old Jan 24th 2006, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

elaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know whether you have found out all the info you need as you posted this months ago. I am a qualified teacher from the UK living in NY. I am having an total nightmare with the NY ed department but have found out quite a lot myself. If you are still planning to teach here please email me. Cheers
Old May 30th 2006, 8:20 am

df79 will become famous soon enoughdf79 will become famous soon enough

Hi Ellie

I was just wandering what type of visa UK qualified teachers are entitled to when they work in the states - is it a HB1 type, or are you allowed to apply for permanent residency.

Thanks

David

Originally Posted by half-pint
I doubt you do have to complete your qualifying year to teach in the US. You will probably have to complete several exams prior to getting your license, that is unless a school is willing to take you as a lateral entry candidate or a school district is willing to give you an emergency license. States have different requirements.

I am a UK trained teacher (BA Hons + PGCE) who has also passed the DFES threshold performance. I am now living in the US and trying to get a teaching job. We currently reside in Ohio where I'd have to take and pass the Praxis www.ets.org tests prior to applying for a license, I'd also need to get my UK qualifications evaluated by an international credentials evaluation service. However, we're also looking into moving to NC, infact I have aleady sent my application in for a license and am waiting to hear. NC allowed me to send in my qualifications without them being evaluated. they will also recognise my 9 years teaching experience in the UK, and they will give me one year to pass the Praxis tests whilst teaching on a provisional license.

If I were you I'd see about taking the praxis tests as soon as possible. I'm not sure you'd be able to start teaching at the beginning of the 2006 academic year as you stated you would arrive in the US in July 2006 on a fiance visa, there might besome complications with the EAD? Just a thought.

I wish you the best of luck!

Ellie