Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Want to move to Tampa from uk - college teacher needs your help!

Want to move to Tampa from uk - college teacher needs your help!

Old May 21st 2009, 10:35 am
Just Joined

JoeyBroChill86 is just really niceJoeyBroChill86 is just really niceJoeyBroChill86 is just really niceJoeyBroChill86 is just really niceJoeyBroChill86 is just really niceJoeyBroChill86 is just really niceJoeyBroChill86 is just really niceJoeyBroChill86 is just really nice
Talking Want to move to Tampa from uk - college teacher needs your help!

Hi everyone!

I am currently studying at The Institute of Education to get my Post-Compulsory PGCE (Masters Level) in order to teach in UK colleges and sixth-forms.

I am desperate to move to Florida as I have many friends there from previously studying in Tampa Bay for a semester.

My question is:

As a qualified teacher, would I be likely to be legible for a green card? If so, how possible is it that I could be successful in my applications?

Also, what is the pay like in the education sector at the moment? It is quite well paid here in the UK so I am hoping to earn a reasonable wage.

Some advice would be much appreciated!
Old May 21st 2009, 11:25 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move to Tampa from uk - college teacher needs your help!

Hi Joey,

Welcome to the site. It's actually quite difficult to move to the USA. I suggest the first thing you should is to read this page in the wiki and see if any of it applies to you.

Regards

Sue
Old May 21st 2009, 12:10 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

My husband and I are both teachers. We looked into moving to USA originally, but we were told that we would have little chance of getting in - as they have more than enough teachers already. However, they did say that if we could teach Spanish, then we would have a much better chance.

Kareena
Old May 21st 2009, 12:44 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier
My husband and I are both teachers. We looked into moving to USA originally, but we were told that we would have little chance of getting in - as they have more than enough teachers already. However, they did say that if we could teach Spanish, then we would have a much better chance.

Kareena
I know people who work in British International Schools in USA but they cannot emigrate. So they stay permanently.

Cooler
Old May 23rd 2009, 12:59 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

lekkilizard posted a link to a thread on BE that may help.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=teaching+usa

Think you'd need to speak to a good agent.

Good luck,
Cooler