Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

WA 457 Visa do you have to pay school fees???

WA 457 Visa do you have to pay school fees???

Old Feb 11th 2009, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

ODPinTraining is an unknown quantity at this point
Question WA 457 Visa do you have to pay school fees???

Hi there my husband is a Maths teacher , we have decided to just do it and apply!!! our children are very little 1 and 4 so we thought best go now ( well within next 2 yrs )

However after reading sooooooooo many posts we are now worried as on 457 visa's we have to pay school fees as they will be classed as foreign students..
Anyone know if this is true??

Thanks in advance

Lindsey
Old Feb 12th 2009, 1:09 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all
Default Re: WA 457 Visa do you have to pay school fees???

Hi there,

We are on a 457 visa. My eldest goes to the local government run school and all we have had to pay is the 'voluntary' contrabution of $60 a year. If you chose a fee paying school you would obviously need to pay for that, but otherwise it's just the contrabution.

Kareena
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:31 am
Just Joined

ODPinTraining is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Kareena, yes just normal state school would be what we are looking for. Thats a load off our mind I read somewhere someone was paying $5000 a year per child

Linds
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:29 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ODPinTraining
Hi there my husband is a Maths teacher , we have decided to just do it and apply!!! our children are very little 1 and 4 so we thought best go now ( well within next 2 yrs )

However after reading sooooooooo many posts we are now worried as on 457 visa's we have to pay school fees as they will be classed as foreign students..
Anyone know if this is true??

Thanks in advance

Lindsey
Hi ODPinTraining,
is the WA 457 sponsorship for teaching still on hold? I read on here that it was a few weeks a go. There is a media release from the 30th Jan, they had only a handful of teaching vacancies across the state. A previous thread, someone mentioned there was over a 100 though.

Do you qualify for a permanent visa?

Cooler
Old Feb 13th 2009, 7:50 am
missapps

missapps will become famous soon enough

HI cooler you replied to me so heres karma for you!! i rang WA yesterday and spoke to the lady in charge of receiving the 457 applications ( i applied myself) and she said to wait til april to hear from them again. Even the managing office are unaware of whats going on yet and they are all on tenterhooks waiting for a response cos they are unindated with requests from all over world!!! So be patient til april then i would email again and check, but she did say that everyone who put in an expression of interest would hear back via email so fingers crossed everyone!!!
Laura

Last edited by missapps; Feb 13th 2009 at 7:53 am.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 8:36 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, seems to be up in the air and when you read the press over there (online) it appears that education is a topic of the moment and they are pumping money into WA - so they may spin the numbers to make it look like the're doing a good job

No different than the UK

Cooler
Old Feb 13th 2009, 11:34 am
missapps

missapps will become famous soon enough

Very true, its very different over here though money wise- they want money for bloody everything- any which way possible and you earn so much less, but waking up to the sun every day- nearly, beats it every morning!!!!