Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Uk Teacher teaching in the US

Uk Teacher teaching in the US

Old Mar 5th 2005, 8:31 am
Just Joined

dhitch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk Teacher teaching in the US

My girlfriend (US) and i are intending to move to the US in July-August. I have applied for Certification in Washington and had my PGCE (in secondary science) and BSc verified by WES. Has anyone any experience of moving to the US (esp Washinton State) What makes things more complicated is that i don't have a permanent uk residence as i am teaching in an international school in the czech rep. Also if anyone has advice on planning such a move it would be greatfully be received,

Darren
Old Mar 7th 2005, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

half-pint is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Uk Teacher teaching in the US

Originally Posted by dhitch
My girlfriend (US) and i are intending to move to the US in July-August. I have applied for Certification in Washington and had my PGCE (in secondary science) and BSc verified by WES. Has anyone any experience of moving to the US (esp Washinton State) What makes things more complicated is that i don't have a permanent uk residence as i am teaching in an international school in the czech rep. Also if anyone has advice on planning such a move it would be greatfully be received,

Darren
I am wondering how you will be applying to move here? Are you hoping to land a job where you will be sponsored by a US employer? Or are you applying for a K1 fiance visa?

Do you want to work in public schools or independent schools? You could try carney, sandhoe and associates.

I'm also a UK trained teacher but I am a PR. I am having to take the Praxis tests so that I can gain my license, Ohio said I would be eligible for a 5 year professional license (I have 9 years teaching experience). I am about to have my credentials evaluated, just wondering if you did a 3 year BSc and if so, did WES say it was equivalent to the US BSc? I am art so I have a foundation diploma, 3 year BA and my PGCE.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 9:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...76#post2117376

That's a thread on teaching and has some good links you might find handy...
Old Jul 25th 2005, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dhitch

Darren
worth reading this website, I taught in the US and they were a great way to get started
http://www.vifprogram.com/
Tara