Teaching in Thailand

Old Jun 5th 2010, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

LoreleiLee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in Thailand

I have phone interview for a teaching position in a school in Thailand. I have visited Thailand a few times and I love the country, however I know working there will be a lot different than being a traveller!

Has anyone here taught in Thailand before? Also my boyfriend wants to come over with me and I would like some advice on how he could do that? Could he come on my visa? Or will he have to apply for his own?

Any advice would be great!
Old Jun 6th 2010, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

uklass is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teaching in Thailand

Originally Posted by LoreleiLee
I have phone interview for a teaching position in a school in Thailand. I have visited Thailand a few times and I love the country, however I know working there will be a lot different than being a traveller!

Has anyone here taught in Thailand before? Also my boyfriend wants to come over with me and I would like some advice on how he could do that? Could he come on my visa? Or will he have to apply for his own?

Any advice would be great!

Whereabouts will your job be? I taught in Thailand in a primary school for a year.

I would check with the school what visa you will have but it will probably be a multiple entry B visa which means you can work there but still need to leave the country every 90 days to do a visa run (Malaysia is the nearest,lots of companies do visa runs so they are pretty cheap). If your boyfriend doesn't have a job he will have to get a tourist visa, this means he can't work (legally anyway) - if this is the case it might be worth looking at the cost of living in the area as you would be suporting both of you - or maybe ask the school if they know of any work he could get whilst out there?

All the best, you'll have a ball!
Old Jun 6th 2010, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

LoreleiLee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your advice!

It is an international school on Kho Samui, I will be teaching Secondary though. I really would love to work there but my bf really wants to come with me and I would love him to!

As a teacher what pay did you get if you don't mind me asking? I know it won't be as much as in the UK but was it enough to live comfortably?
Old Jun 6th 2010, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

uklass is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LoreleiLee
Thanks for your advice!

It is an international school on Kho Samui, I will be teaching Secondary though. I really would love to work there but my bf really wants to come with me and I would love him to!

As a teacher what pay did you get if you don't mind me asking? I know it won't be as much as in the UK but was it enough to live comfortably?

Sent you a pm