Teaching in Queensland

Old Sep 22nd 2008, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

mrcksparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Teaching in Queensland

Hello

I am a History teacher in a secondary school in the midlands who will be moving to the Brisbane area in Jan 09. Has anyone got any advice on finding work or good supply agencies?
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:43 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Queensland

Use Google to find relief agencies.

Have you registered with the College of Teaching and the Department of Education?
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 7:47 am
Just Joined

mrcksparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks WS

I have already recieved my provisional regis for Queensland but i am finding it difficult to find agencies that seem useful or reputable
Old Sep 24th 2008, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

confusedpom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I used smart teachers and protocol agencies, google them, they should be easy to find, if not, let me know and I'll dig the links out for you. These agencies are good for private schools. There is also something called the Tracer service that finds you supply work in state schools (I think) I never went down that road as they wanted all by bits of paper again!

Apparently it is a lot harder to get teaching jobs in state schools, that is what I have been told. But there are loads of private schools around the Brisbane area. Also look on Seek, most jobs gets advertised on it. Good luck!
Old Sep 30th 2008, 12:53 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Career One advertise jobs in the local paper (The Courier Mail) and for rest of Queensland as well.

Search 4 Jobs http://www.search4jobs.com.au have jobs listings as well but seem to be for more regional areas (ie: Toowoomba)

Protocol and Smart Teachers are okay but unless you were trying to get a job before you left the UK or get a job that would sponsor you to be in Australia I wouldn't say they were entirely necessary, although you may find them helpful in terms of local knowledge and paperwork.

You will need to register with the Qld College of Teachers (annual rego has gone up and now costs around $60 but I think you might have to pay a wee bit more at initial rego?) There may also be other costs for example, criminal history check. If you already have provisional reg then you probably already know this.

TRACER fill vacancies for state schools. You can also find hard to fill vacancies advertised on the Education Department website (google Qld Ed jobs) but most of these are in regional areas. Tracer now advertise some contracts on their website - there are some in the south east.
Tracer You will need to be registered with the Dept of Education in order to work in state schools. The paperwork is not that bad if you need to work or are fairly newly qualified (the problem I encountered was trying to gain adequate 'statements of service' for my previous teaching experience in order to go up the payscale.) You go through pretty much the same process as per QCT. Qld does have a country service policy for teacher placement (you earn points for teaching out woop woop that will get you back into schools in the south east) but supply is good in my area, west of Brisbane - they are struggling to find teachers in a few schools (not bad ones - and only 45 mins from nearest city).

Catholic schools are another option http://www.bne.catholic.edu.au.

Aussie teacher pages provides links to every vaguely related educational site in each state and territory of Australia.

Teachers on Net
advertises jobs in Catholic and independent schools around Australia.

It is still a little tricky to find positions, especially in 'pure' History. You will soon encounter the evil that is "SOSE" and understand. My quals are in History and English and while English jobs abound, History tends to involve having to teach all the subjects in the SOSE strand (Geography, Civics, Politics, Economics, Business Studies, Accounting...some schools have strange ideas about what constitutes SOSE). Thankfully the government are talking about scrapping SOSE altogether - oh happy day!
Old Oct 1st 2008, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mrcksparky
Thanks WS

I have already recieved my provisional regis for Queensland but i am finding it difficult to find agencies that seem useful or reputable
Don't forget to get your Employee ID Number which you will need to have if you want to teach in state schools. This is separate to your Queensland Teaching Council registration.

http://education.qld.gov.au/hr/recruitment/apply/

http://education.qld.gov.au/hr/recru...loyment-08.pdf

It takes about 2-3 weeks and you'll get a letter to present to the school which will list which areas of the state you are cleared to teach in (you specify this) and your hourly rate (they determine this).

Good luck.