Teaching in QLD Schools

Old Feb 17th 2010, 7:17 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Teaching in QLD Schools

It seems to me it's not quite as simple as getting your teacher registration to teach in QLD schools. I was told by the regional office to go to this site http://education.qld.gov.au/hr/recru...ms-guides.html

Upon doing so I've seen that I've to apply for teacher employment, submit a portfolio and then have an interview? Please tell me I've misread this and it is in fact not the case...how many hoops must someone jump through to be able to teach in this country!? lol

I'm feeling really disheartened and wondering why I bothered having my skills assessed and if the ten years of experience I've had seem to count for anything!?
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

kat83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in QLD Schools

Hey, so glad i read this cos I was under the impression all I had to do was register with Queensland College of Teachers then complete a simple form to register with TRACER and that would be me ready to look for work as a supply teacher. Maybe I sound alittle naive but this is the way with my local authority! Can't believe you need to do an application form, submit a portfolio and attend an interview for ANY job, even supply! As you say, after having your skills assessed and registering with Queensland College of Teachers you'd think that would be enough evidence of your qualifications and experience!! I had downloaded the TRACER application form months ago and must have misread the text at the top that says you must be already registered to have an ID number, arrrgggghhhh! Did the woman you spoke to say anything about the timeframe between sending off your teacher appication form to getting a date for submitting your portfolio and arranging an interview?
Old Feb 19th 2010, 7:39 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
It seems to me it's not quite as simple as getting your teacher registration to teach in QLD schools. I was told by the regional office to go to this site http://education.qld.gov.au/hr/recru...ms-guides.html

Upon doing so I've seen that I've to apply for teacher employment, submit a portfolio and then have an interview? Please tell me I've misread this and it is in fact not the case...how many hoops must someone jump through to be able to teach in this country!? lol

I'm feeling really disheartened and wondering why I bothered having my skills assessed and if the ten years of experience I've had seem to count for anything!?
Jen, you have to just crack on and not get disheartened. Make sure that's the case, but from our experience, you have to do what you have to do. We have to adapt to a new way of operating.

Don't give up Jen, we'll not let you I'm afraid

Cooler
Old Feb 19th 2010, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

kat83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, thought i'd update you because I phoned Cairns regional office as thats where I will hopefully get supply work. The woman I spoke to was really nice and said she will send me out an info pack (it will take two weeks tho as I'm still in sunny Scotland at the mo lol) Maybe the regional office near you could do the same? Keep posting your progress if you can as it's really helpful to know how you're getting on, good luck with it,
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Jen

South Coast regional office have just emailed me to advise I would only need to have an interview if I wanted a perm job or supply lasting longer than 16weeks. Short term supply is fine without an interview or any assessment providing you have QLD registration. Hope this helps Nicky
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:25 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nbn8
Jen

South Coast regional office have just emailed me to advise I would only need to have an interview if I wanted a perm job or supply lasting longer than 16weeks. Short term supply is fine without an interview or any assessment providing you have QLD registration. Hope this helps Nicky
I've filled it in regardless, but it'd require me to make copies of ALLLLLLL of my documents again anddddddddddddd get them witnessed by a JP. I also noticed on the form that it asks you to prove all the years you've taught with documentation, which I have, so that's probably how you'd be placed on the appropriate payscale to be paid according to your experience. Otherwise you may well start at the bottom of the payscale...hmmmm
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:26 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Regardless, I'm 'up and at em' this morning, gonna do a CV run, I've a list of 25 schools I'd love to visit by the end of the week, and ideally I'm gonna try to get round 12 of those today, wish me luck!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:13 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Regardless, I'm 'up and at em' this morning, gonna do a CV run, I've a list of 25 schools I'd love to visit by the end of the week, and ideally I'm gonna try to get round 12 of those today, wish me luck!
Good luck!!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 3:46 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by kar-kier
Good luck!!
Well that didn't quite turn out as planned. The Principal in the first school, who I'd talked to on the phone and by email said to just wait til I've my teacher reg through, as otherwise, doing cv drops was pretty pointless. Kinda disheartened but can see where he's coming from. Hey ho, looks like I'm gonna have to wait the bit out eh....BORINGGGGGGGGG
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:21 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Well that didn't quite turn out as planned. The Principal in the first school, who I'd talked to on the phone and by email said to just wait til I've my teacher reg through, as otherwise, doing cv drops was pretty pointless. Kinda disheartened but can see where he's coming from. Hey ho, looks like I'm gonna have to wait the bit out eh....BORINGGGGGGGGG
Well that is pretty shitty!! How long will your registration take?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:34 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Well that is pretty shitty!! How long will your registration take?
How longs a piece of string I guess? I tried phoning them yesterday but after 12 minutes on hold I gave up....
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 11:55 pm
Living the dream!

How longs a piece of string I guess? I tried phoning them yesterday but after 12 minutes on hold I gave up....
Hmmm, are they a manned by Telstra? Lol!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:11 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Hmmm, are they a manned by Telstra? Lol!
Ha, that'd be right, we were with Telstra prepaid when we first got here, I put $90 on my phone in the space of two weeks and hardly bl**dy used the thing, GRRR LOL (Now on an Optus BYO (our iphones) plan and so far, so good!)
Old Feb 24th 2010, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Jen

I did my QLD registration from the UK (this normally takes longer) and it took just over 4 months for mine. Yours should not take as long. Good luck Nicky
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:30 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

hey, sorry to hear that there's more drama - I'm sure I mentioned the Ed Qld rego was necessary too, not just with Qld College of Teachers but it probably sounded like gobblydegook.

The Ed Qld stuff (with the interview) is pretty straightforward unless you want to work permanently or even a long term contract. For supply you should be able to avoid the interviewing and once you are in a school the Principal can do that part. Actually that may be a lie as I think they changed that last year to make it more complicated - you have to interview before a panel where they will give you a rating which will be taken into account when they allocate you a job. Yes, allocate. It's a bit stupid.

You won't need any of that Ed Qld stuff for private schools (or Catholic, although with catholic you should create a profile online at the Cath Ed website - the links are on the Brisbane diocese website but not sure about Toowoomba. They've just set up a new recruitment portal too)

Once you have your Qld College of Teachers rego you are okay to apply for any private schools. Don't know whether they give you provisional or not - will depend on your experience. They've just sent me a letter saying they've cancelled mine, the bastards. You get 2 years on provisional, which you can extend by a further 2 years. In that time you have to teach for a year in an Aussie school. I've had my 4 years but in the middle of that I had a baby so can't quite scrape up enough experience to satisfy them (because it also has to be within the past 5 years blah blah)

I didn't care cos I was teaching in China but now we've come back and I would love to have some supply so I could get some money but have to reapply like a newbie all over a gain... by the time it's done we'll have moved again so might have to stack grocery shelves instead!