Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Teaching primary age in Canada

Teaching primary age in Canada

Old Jul 18th 2010, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

hockers87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching primary age in Canada

Hi

I am a 23 yr old qualified primary teacher looking to move to Canada and teach. Everywhere I seem to look, it appears to be a fairly gloomy picture though.
I would appreciate any advice and help on where to even begin with moving to Canada as a primary teacher.

Thank you
Old Jul 19th 2010, 12:02 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching primary age in Canada

Originally Posted by hockers87
Hi

I am a 23 yr old qualified primary teacher looking to move to Canada and teach. Everywhere I seem to look, it appears to be a fairly gloomy picture though.
I would appreciate any advice and help on where to even begin with moving to Canada as a primary teacher.

Thank you
I think you first need to decide which country it is that you actually want to teach in, Australia or Canada!? Then once you've decided, focus on doing some of the initial research yourself! The search facility above would be a very good start! Good luck!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677158
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

steve_red is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I think you first need to decide which country it is that you actually want to teach in, Australia or Canada!? Then once you've decided, focus on doing some of the initial research yourself! The search facility above would be a very good start! Good luck!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677158
Was there any point in you replying?

So rude some people
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 8:59 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve_red

So rude some people
The OP has started three different threads on teaching in Canada, Australia and Dubai, my reply was simply advising them to focus on exactly where they want to be and start researching appropriately, so before you jump down my throat, know the facts! Ta
Old Aug 4th 2010, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

steve_red is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes i gathered this from the link that you took the time to find and post.

Maybe they changed their preference?

Some people want/need to emmigrate simply because they have a personal reason to leave the country, therefore they would look into the options of numerous different countries and hey, probably don't know where would be best for them and their job preference.
Boards like this are perfect places to 'do the research yourself' and gather peoples opinions and information on different countries.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:50 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

My advice then, if they don't have any preferences? Forget about Australia, Primary Teachers are ten a penny here (and in MANY other countries, including the UK) thus it's a profession that has been removed from the SOL, people are waiting to see if it appears on any of the SMP's but most of those won't be released til after the election.

Possibly not what the OP wanted to hear, but it's the harsh reality that is Australian immigration...

Last edited by Jen1977ni; Aug 4th 2010 at 8:52 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 10:15 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by steve_red

So rude some people
Random - I thought Jen's reply was pretty civilised considering the proper nasty replies some people get when they post on here and appear to be timewasters or plain lazy!!!

Have a sneaky suspicion that steve_red just might be the OP under alias???
Old Aug 10th 2010, 10:20 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

I've posted on here a few times about Canada as had looked into that myself and had a friend who was a teacher over there - once I no longer qualified for the Canadian WHV I stopped considering Canada as it appeared very, very difficult. Try a search of this forum and try also at TES Forums on the Teaching Abroad section. The Canadian government's immigration site also gives quite a bit of info. From what I gather from Canadian teachers' posts on TES they are struggling to find jobs themselves. You also need to register separately with each province (similar to Australia) which can be costly.

If you are just looking for ways to teach abroad - look at Select Teachers (also called Teach Anywhere) and sign up with them. If you have experience you shouldn't have much problem getting work abroad in international schools although it will probably be in Asia.

You could also try a teacher exchange if you have a teaching job at home?

Alternatively try a 4 week TESOL course (around $2000 - 3000 for a decent course) and with your existing teaching quals you should be able to find work abroad either by googling school sites or with some of the recruiters or on the ESL job boards.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

MrsX is just really niceMrsX is just really niceMrsX is just really niceMrsX is just really niceMrsX is just really niceMrsX is just really niceMrsX is just really niceMrsX is just really niceMrsX is just really niceMrsX is just really nice

Originally Posted by hockers87
Hi

Thank you
http://jobsearch.educationcanada.com/

set up an alert and they send you stuff when it comes available.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

We also looked into Canada and found that is nigh on impossible to get a primary job.
Also hubby worked with Canadian teachers who also confirmed this, thats why they were teaching in Europe.

Luckily for us Western Australia had recruitment drive and we got here in time.

I doubt you will find anyone who can give you anything positive regarding Canada.

Gems
Old Oct 25th 2010, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

My advice then, if they don't have any preferences? Forget about Australia, Primary Teachers are ten a penny here (and in MANY other countries, including the UK) thus it's a profession that has been removed from the SOL, people are waiting to see if it appears on any of the SMP's but most of those won't be released til after the election.

Possibly not what the OP wanted to hear, but it's the harsh reality that is Australian immigration...
In the places where people want to live yes. In the more remote areas no

I thought it had gone back on the SOL? Have to admit don't check any more as no longer an obsession
Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:33 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
In the places where people want to live yes. In the more remote areas no

I thought it had gone back on the SOL? Have to admit don't check any more as no longer an obsession
All professions are in demand in very remote areas, that kinda goes without saying! A lot of people, however, aren't keen on living in these areas...
Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

All professions are in demand in very remote areas, that kinda goes without saying! A lot of people, however, aren't keen on living in these areas...
Yes lots of people don't want to live in the area I live in. Bit remote and very very very hot. But jobs galore.
Shame they don't do FIFO Teachers lol, would solve a lot of problems
Old Oct 26th 2010, 8:45 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Yes lots of people don't want to live in the area I live in. Bit remote and very very very hot. But jobs galore.
Shame they don't do FIFO Teachers lol, would solve a lot of problems
I wouldn't move to the other side of the world to be very remote and very very very hot! Not my cuppatay, but each to their own eh!
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

I wouldn't move to the other side of the world to be very remote and very very very hot! Not my cuppatay, but each to their own eh!
They were economical with the truth when recruiting lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.